Any Western Students able to answer a question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Western students here? I have a question about rotation sites. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OMS IV at Pomona. Rotations are always slowly evolving so things might be somewhat different in a few years but I'll answer what I can. PM if you'd like.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMS IV at Pomona. Rotations are always slowly evolving so things might be somewhat different in a few years but I'll answer what I can. PM if you'd like.
How are electives going? Was that a hard process to set up?

How are electives going? Was that a hard process to set up?
I'm pretty happy with rotations. They give us a lot of flexibility with two electives and one IM selective during third year and then mostly electives during fourth year. A potential downside is that you may have to move within SoCal one or more times during third year. Setting up rotations was not difficult but it takes some time and it's best to be organized and to apply early for popular electives and for away rotations.
The quality of the sites varies but if you want to rotate on a teaching service for a particular specialty during third year it's very possible if you prioritize it and plan ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty happy with rotations. They give us a lot of flexibility with two electives and one IM selective during third year and then mostly electives during fourth year. A potential downside is that you may have to move within SoCal one or more times during third year. Setting up rotations was not difficult but it takes some time and it's best to be organized and to apply early for popular electives and for away rotations.
The quality of the sites varies but if you want to rotate on a teaching service for a particular specialty during third year it's very possible if you prioritize it and plan ahead.

Did you end up moving at all? How many teaching sites in all did you attend?

Thanks for the responses even though I'm not OP haha

Did you end up moving at all? How many teaching sites in all did you attend?

Thanks for the responses even though I'm not OP haha
Glad to help.
I moved almost every month during third year using Craigslist and AirBnB. Most of the class did not move as often but from what I've seen most students had to move for at least one or two rotations if they did not want a very long commute. All of my third-year rotations were in southern California.
5 of my 9 third year core rotations were ward-based, working with residents at teaching hospitals.

Glad to help.
I moved almost every month during third year using Craigslist and AirBnB. Most of the class did not move as often but from what I've seen most students had to move for at least one or two rotations if they did not want a very long commute. All of my third-year rotations were in southern California.
5 of my 9 third year core rotations were ward-based, working with residents at teaching hospitals.
Were these Arrowhead, Downey, and Chino Valley, that were ward-based? Have you gone out of state for 4th year?

Were these Arrowhead, Downey, and Chino Valley, that were ward-based? Have you gone out of state for 4th year?
Arrowhead, Chino Valley, and College Medical Center in Long Beach. There are also rotations at Downey. Most of my auditions this year are out of state which is at least in part due to my choice of specialty.

Arrowhead, Chino Valley, and College Medical Center in Long Beach. There are also rotations at Downey. Most of my auditions this year are out of state which is at least in part due to my choice of specialty.
Which specialty are you interested in, if I may ask? And do you think rotations will change in a good way in the next few years?

Thanks much =)

I doubt anyone will know for certain what changes will happen years down the line.

Which specialty are you interested in, if I may ask? And do you think rotations will change in a good way in the next few years?

Thanks much =)
Psychiatry. There are always rumors about what changes we may or may not see in the future but I wouldn't take too much stock in them without doing my own research.

Reactions: 1 user