Chances of being able to transfer med schools for personal reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Champion0ftheSUN

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the second semester of my second year and med school has been really rough on me and my husband. We have a 3-year-old who is a handful and we are not living near any family so it is just on us. (I already know going through med school with a kid is crazy, so this post isn't about that). I think it would be a lot easier on us if I could transfer to a school near my family to have some help. I saw that one close to my family is accepting transfer students, but I was wondering about the likelihood of acceptance. Does anyone know of any successful transfer applicants? If anyone could share some advice on how to create a strong application it would be greatly appreciated. To be clear, I would be transferring after passing COMLEX and I am in the top 1/3 of my class. I know I said it's been rough, but my grades haven't suffered too much...just my mental health :')

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the second semester of my second year and med school has been really rough on me and my husband. We have a 3-year-old who is a handful and we are not living near any family so it is just on us. (I already know going through med school with a kid is crazy, so this post isn't about that). I think it would be a lot easier on us if I could transfer to a school near my family to have some help. I saw that one close to my family is accepting transfer students, but I was wondering about the likelihood of acceptance. Does anyone know of any successful transfer applicants? If anyone could share some advice on how to create a strong application it would be greatly appreciated. To be clear, I would be transferring after passing COMLEX and I am in the top 1/3 of my class. I know I said it's been rough, but my grades haven't suffered too much...just my mental health :')
I'm really sorry to hear about the challenges you all have had to deal with. What support have you received from your school or the spouses with kids groups at the school/university?

We also have a Partners and Spouses forum : Spouses and Partners

Maybe you can get feedback there.

As for your question: you must be close to finishing off your Preclinicals. Talk to your student dean about the situation if you haven't already.

I don't know if you could transfer until you pass your first board exam, but you know your curriculum better.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm really sorry to hear about the challenges you all have had to deal with. What support have you received from your school or the spouses with kids groups at the school/university?

We also have a Partners and Spouses forum : Spouses and Partners

Maybe you can get feedback there.

As for your question: you must be close to finishing off your Preclinicals. Talk to your student dean about the situation if you haven't already.

I don't know if you could transfer until you pass your first board exam, but you know your curriculum better.
Thank you for responding so quickly. I haven't received any support from my school. It was never offered to me and I had never considered asking as I figured it would just be my responsibility to figure it out. I looked into the school I want to transfer to and they will accept you (if they like your application I assume) and then it's contingent upon passing COMLEX.

Thank you for the advice, I will reach out to my student dean and perhaps post this on the Spouses and Partner's forum as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice, I will reach out to my student dean and perhaps post this on the Spouses and Partner's forum as well.

No need to double post. Just see what you have to do procedurally (forms, letters, etc.). I don't know what options exist regarding who gets to confer your degree.

MODERATOR: please move this discussion.

What other solutions have you considered besides moving to be near your family?
Part time childcare?
Part time housecleaner so you can focus on your child and not household stuff? (probably cheaper!)
Are you sure your family would take on helping you if you were to move?

Reactions: 1 users