Any white male pre-meds out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Holla... You got one right here :)

all of these threads are so pathetic...

I'm not actually white, I'm persian. But because there are so many of us and we are technically aryan, I have to apply as "WHITE" and I get no special minority advantages. Med schools give none of us any advantages of girls or URMs.

Can I join your club?

I'm not actually white, I'm persian. But because there are so many of us and we are technically aryan, I have to apply as "WHITE" and I get no special minority advantages. Med schools give none of us any advantages of girls or URMs.

Can I join your club?

I dunno..... The committee will have to take a vote on it. We'll get back to you in four to six weeks. Thanks for your continued interest in being at the lowest advantaged class applying to med school though!

at first, I thought that the op was a white female seeking a white male :p

Plus one. I plan on adopting a phillipino child shortly before i apply to use on the diversity essays.

Ruz: welcome aboard.

Finally, one of these threads I can post in. =)

Members don't see this ad :)
There were at least 97 of this exact same thread last cycle. It's not as clever as you think.

Hey, quite you... you dream squasher. We want none of your negativity here!

Also, how are you guys handling the "how do you bring diversity to our school" essays?

"I believe that the admissions committee should be aware of my ethnic background. Being half English and half Welsh, I belong to a significantly under-represented group in United States medical education. While the proportion of the overall national population in this group is small, progressive immigration is increasing our numbers, and I believe that it is essential that future medical services should reflect and serve this ethnicity. I believe that a poor, injured soul presented at the doors of an Emergency Room should find sympathetic, understanding care that is able to communicate in a manner that establishes empathy. Imagine, if you will, a twenty-something gentleman being triaged and explaining to their doctor that "You see... I had this great shag last night and woke up with a rash." An English/Welsh physician would see to the heart of the problem and examine the man for an STD. A clinician with only an understanding of American English would, naturally, wonder why the man had a rash from a carpet. This type of misunderstanding poses a terrible and present danger to the effective treatment of patients from this minority. Therefore, British-English speaking doctors should be fostered as an integral part of the future medical community.

Since my race are currently less than 1% of the community, rounding ceiling-wise and wishing to have a representative student body, it is obvious that with an annual intake of around 100 students, it would be morally essential for you to reserve at least 1 place for English/Welsh students. I believe that as possibly the most pasty-white, instantly-sunburned applicant, I clearly deserve the place.

As a student at XYZ medical school, I feel that I would bring much-needed diversity to the student body, and eventually be an excellent physician to this underserved minority."

Just fyi ending AA would have almost no effect on "whites" applying.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S11/80/78Q19/index.xml?section=newsreleases

So the *****ing about AA tends to be misinformed and worthless....go figure.

This was my research topic for my Ethnic Studies course. My conclusion was that AA in admissions does not come at the expense of whites, but at the expense of Asians. For some reason, Asian is not considered a minority in America.

This was my research topic for my Ethnic Studies course. My conclusion was that AA in admissions does not come at the expense of whites, but at the expense of Asians. For some reason, Asian is not considered a minority in America.

So.....you basically just parroted their research then? :laugh:

The Article said:
Asian students would fill nearly four out of every five places in the admitted class not taken by African-American and Hispanic students, with an acceptance rate rising from nearly 18 percent to more than 23 percent.

White male here. I want in the club.

There were at least 97 of this exact same thread last cycle. It's not as clever as you think.

Quoted for Truth. Every poster who makes one of these threads thinks they are being Oh So Clever. It's been done a million times before.

Quoted for Truth. Every poster who makes one of these threads thinks they are being Oh So Clever. It's been done a million times before.

whats with all the hate? you don't see none of this for the black or Muslim, or afghan threads...sheesh

It's because it's ok for people to talk trash about white people as long as we don't talk trash about anyone. ;P Count me in.

whats with all the hate? you don't see none of this for the black or Muslim, or afghan threads...sheesh

It's not hate. Threads like this one have all the right to exist.

But...use the search function instead. That way we don't have 1,494,382 threads like this one.

Also, how are you guys handling the "how do you bring diversity to our school" essays?

I'm the Italian Stallion, what more is there to say?

Being an American white male from an affluent family I can identify with the difficulties that you are all going through. I hope that I can stand with the few 10s of thousands of others like me as a beacon of hope for you that people like you DO make it. Good luck.

Because those threads are actually constructive. This is a lame and unoriginal attempt to make fun of those threads. It has nothing to do with race.

Hey heres an idea!

If you guys think this thread is so lame, unoriginal, stupid, pointless, or whatever..... STOP WRITING IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let those of us who feel like we miss out when everyone else gets advantages have a place to vent.

If you don't agree...fine. Go make your own thread and with all your friends who agree and talk about it there. We're not here to argue with others, we're to nag to ourselves. You guys are more than welcome to read the thread, and if you have something nice to say, I'm sure everyone welcomes your insight.

Its really immature to come and ruin someone else's fun!

BTW, who ever made this thread this year... Nice work. No way in hell I'd ever take the time to search for an old thread when its so easy to just make a new one. Columbus gets credit even though the vikings found America first. In my book, so do you!

Hell, I'm not even white!

Because those threads are actually constructive. This is a lame and unoriginal attempt to make fun of those threads. It has nothing to do with race.

...Nice. And why is this not constructive? It's sure giving me a group to identify myself with. Count me in!

i thought it was a single girl at first looking for a guy!!

okay so you guys really believe that YOU are at a disadvantage to minority applicants???... I don't want to start an AA debate again...and i won't even argue... but are people really serious when they write these things? or is everyone just nervous about getting in to school???...

i thought it was a single girl at first looking for a guy!!

okay so you guys really believe that YOU are at a disadvantage to minority applicants???... I don't want to start an AA debate again...and i won't even argue... but are people really serious when they write these things? or is everyone just nervous about getting in to school???...

lol I think they were just making a mockery of the other race/gender threads... though the other threads are actually really informative and do not contain the type of content you describe above...

I'm not trying to incite a war here, just present what i've seen. . .

I've ventured into a few of the aforementioned threads and I don't really understand the purpose aside from saying "hey sisters" or "salaam aleykum".

We're all going through the same process, have all taken the same classes, and all have similar goals. It seems counterproductive to point out our differences and self segregate. Maybe, I'm wrong and someone could enlighten me.

p.s. i lived in a rural muslim african village for 2 years so have nothing against either culture.

Being an American white male from an affluent family I can identify with the difficulties that you are all going through. I hope that I can stand with the few 10s of thousands of others like me as a beacon of hope for you that people like you DO make it. Good luck.

hate to break it to ya, but you're in worse shape because you have a blonde wife. very mainstream of you, tsk.

I found the afghan thread puzzling. Who knew granny's crocheted throws needed their own thread?

hate to break it to ya, but you're in worse shape because you have a blonde wife. very mainstream of you, tsk.

Sometimes you just have to go with the grain.

you just described majority of pre- med students in USA.
White
Male
pre-med

Personally, I don't see the point of this or any thread specifically related to race or sex. The point of this website is to share useful information and advice as applicants. Nothing shared on this site in regards to race or sex will ever change one's race or sex, the admissions process, or each individual's likelihood of getting into whatever school.

My reading of these threads is a sad reminder of the race relations in the US and how people still feel the need to label themselves and others, especially when it really doesn't matter. In my opinion, such threads are a waste of time. With probably more than 40,000 applicants in this cycle, you can bet that your specific combination of race, sex, creed, etc. is represented to some extent and you are NOT alone. As always, focus on making yourself the best and most unique applicant you can, and don't waste energy and time getting fired up and angry over the things you know you can't change.

Best of luck to everyone.

Personally, I don't see the point of this or any thread specifically related to race or sex. The point of this website is to share useful information and advice as applicants. Nothing shared on this site in regards to race or sex will ever change one's race or sex, the admissions process, or each individual's likelihood of getting into whatever school.

My reading of these threads is a sad reminder of the race relations in the US and how people still feel the need to label themselves and others, especially when it really doesn't matter. In my opinion, such threads are a waste of time. With probably more than 40,000 applicants in this cycle, you can bet that your specific combination of race, sex, creed, etc. is represented to some extent and you are NOT alone. As always, focus on making yourself the best and most unique applicant you can, and don't waste energy and time getting fired up and angry over the things you know you can't change.

Best of luck to everyone.

exactly my sentiments as i said above. pointing out distinctions is the reason that they continue to exist.

exactly my sentiments as i said above. pointing out distinctions is the reason that they continue to exist.

u can't ignore people's differences...that doesn't fix the problem...we are different...and it's these differences that makes this country so special... there is a big difference between what i can offer (being black and from NYC) and from what you can offer (ASSUMPTION: being white and from the south????), I mean that positively!!!!...and i think there is a place and a need for all different types of people in medicine... we can't have that cookie cutter approach, because the public we intend to serve needs us to recognize their differences and treat them appropiately...

but i don't want to hijack their thread with this debate...so now i promise I won't argue anymore!!:laugh::laugh: I think I'll go check my email some more:)

u can't ignore people's differences...that doesn't fix the problem...we are different...and it's these differences that makes this country so special... there is a big difference between what i can offer (being black and from NYC) and from what you can offer (ASSUMPTION: being white and from the south????), I mean that positively!!!!...and i think there is a place and a need for all different types of people in medicine... we can't have that cookie cutter approach, because the public we intend to serve needs us to recognize their differences and treat them appropiately...

but i don't want to hijack their thread with this debate...so now i promise I won't argue anymore!!:laugh::laugh: I think I'll go check my email some more:)

i agree that differences are what make us special. but segregating ourselves and talking to people only like ourselves serves only to create tension and does not promote understanding and sharing of cultures.

really how much different are we anyways? we're both americans. that counts for more than you think. trust me.

Well I don't see acknowledging innate or apparent differences as being a bane to progress, rather a blessing. It all depends on how you approach it, do you use it as an opportunity to learn or as a standard by which to self-segregate. I have no doubt when people see thread titles with the word "Muslim" or "Black Female" that might seem like a not so subtle hint that everyone else stay out. However, I think these feelings are due mostly to our own sensitivities and not an actual stay out sign.

True, most of the stuff on these 'identity' threads are fluff. We are all pre-meds in mostly the same boat, so the answers to most of our concerns do not need to be addressed through an ethnic, gender, or religious lens. However, sometimes unique situations do arise that can be best addressed through that medium. For instance, all three of my interviews fall under Ramadan, and I am debating whether to actually fast on those interview days or not. I'm not obligated to b/c I would be traveling, but I would have to fast later after Ramadan to make it up. I assume most SDN members probably don't care what I do, which is fine but it is addressed on Muslim thread. So, I guess if you happened to read about it on the 'Muslim' thread, maybe you'll recognize that the brown guy (me) who is not even touching the interview day lunch is not rude or maybe too uptight, it might just be b/c he is fasting.

Anyhow, at most I find this thread amusing. For instance, whenever I hear people complain that there is no 'white' equivalent to something like the BET tv channel, I remind them that there is something called NBC.

i think we all need to lighten up. this is a joke thread. put the teeth away, and let the op have his fun. is this board always this uptight?

Well I don't see acknowledging innate or apparent differences as being a bane to progress, rather a blessing. It all depends on how you approach it, do you use it as an opportunity to learn or as a standard by which to self-segregate.
[\quote]

that's exactly what i was trying to say. it depends on the reasoning. self-segregating is not good and i believe is a reason that a lot of tension exists in the U.S. today.

an interesting anecdote. ..

when i was in africa, all my Peace Corps friends, no matter what color of the rainbow, were always referred to as "white" by locals because we're western and do for the most part have the same culture.

the black dude from nyc with dreads - white
the half japanese girl from colorado - white
the guy of indian descent from san fran - white

we're not that different.

i think we all need to lighten up. this is a joke thread. put the teeth away, and let the op have his fun. is this board always this uptight?

Agreed. Personally, I love white people. They are always extra frisky with me, such as in the airport :D

joking...

haha, sorry if i came off as uptight. i just like to point out that we should all be friends!!

Oh Jolie, I didn't think you did anything wrong. Plus, as I have alluded to earlier, you are my great white hope (in honor of this thread). When you get that first choice, I'm still expecting 343793243 interview spots to open up.

Oh Jolie, I didn't think you did anything wrong. Plus, as I have alluded to earlier, you are my great white hope (in honor of this thread). When you get that first choice, I'm still expecting 343793243 interview spots to open up.

well, seeing as i haven't heard from my top choices for an interview, it might take a while.