Any word from Michigan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump

Members don't see this ad.

attaboybambeeks said:
What wait list email!?!
elaborate please.

Earlier in the thread, people mentioned receiving an email asking if they were still interested in remaining on the waitlist.

I've been reading this thread for a while and wanted to post some possibly heartening news. I was accepted off of the waitlist today. I'm not sure if there will be more movement, but they've used it at least once...

Members don't see this ad :)
CYSAC06 said:
I've been reading this thread for a while and wanted to post some possibly heartening news. I was accepted off of the waitlist today. I'm not sure if there will be more movement, but they've used it at least once...

Where were you going to go b4 Michigan?

hey...
did anyone get the waitlist email still guaging interest today?

also, to those that received it previously, how did it all end up?

Boromir said:
any further word?

Congrats everyone. You got time still. July and Aug were the big mos last yr for schools. I think U of Mich was July.

attaboybambeeks said:
hey...
did anyone get the waitlist email still guaging interest today?

also, to those that received it previously, how did it all end up?

I got that email before...but no acceptance :(

phatib said:
UMich was overbooked last year.

Oh really, well Penn, Columbia, SUNY downstate, and USC were not. Those were the folks in my lab. A friend 3 yrs ealier got off the waitlist in July. She chose it over the U of Chicago.

CYSAC06 said:

That's interesting. I was told by admissions that they wouldn't have movement till the end of June. I'm getting pretty frustrated with all this conflicting info.

akaz said:
Oh really, well Penn, Columbia, SUNY downstate, and USC were not. Those were the folks in my lab. A friend 3 yrs ealier got off the waitlist in July. She chose it over the U of Chicago.
Yep, the class last year had 177 students for 170 spots. There are a couple of factors to which many seem to attribute last year's ovebooking: It was announced late last spring that 2nd year would also be pass/fail. Also, second look weekend (3 years old) continues to evolve and has been a very effective recruiting tool.

As a result of last year's demand, ~40 fewer acceptances were granted this year.

CYSAC06 said:
cool! Are you instate or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office this morning and was told that they took 6 people off the waitlist last week. They have until June 20th or something like that to respond. She said that the list was moving, but 6 seems like a really small number.

Hi guys. I just wanted to let you know that 10 people from the waitlist have been offered spots. This is the latest news from April at the admissions office.

I am also curious about whether these are instate or out of state applicants that have been accepted off of the waitlist.

Sorry. I forgot to ask. I get very nervous when making these calls :scared:

commuter9 said:
Sorry. I forgot to ask. I get very nervous when making these calls :scared:

did they give any indication about more movement?

I was accepted off the waitlist this week, and my friend was accepted last week - both her and I are instate applicants. From what I've heard, the rest have been mostly out of state

commuter9 said:
Hi guys. I just wanted to let you know that 10 people from the waitlist have been offered spots. This is the latest news from April at the admissions office.
By comparing the roster with the new picture profile, I count at least 8 new instaters. Where did they come from if they weren't from the waitlist? I'm confused.

RollingStone said:
I was accepted off the waitlist this week, and my friend was accepted last week - both her and I are instate applicants. From what I've heard, the rest have been mostly out of state

If u don't mind me asking, where were you and her planning on going before getting accepted off the waitlist?

im pretty sure its been mostly in staters that have been pulled off the waitlist.

attaboybambeeks said:
im pretty sure its been mostly in staters that have been pulled off the waitlist.

interesting, this is the opposite of what I would expect. Heck, I hope it is true though, seeing as I am on instate waitlist.

mtDNA said:
interesting, this is the opposite of what I would expect. Heck, I hope it is true though, seeing as I am on instate waitlist.
Well, I think they had a more OOS-leaning class than they wanted before going to the instate waitlist. For example, they had much fewer UMich undergrads accepted than in previous years, so they may be using the waitlist to balance it better.

I checked my status on the website yesterday and while the text was all the same, the "Upper Tier Waitlist" designation was dropped. I'm assuming (hoping? :D ) that they dropped it on everyone else's page as well, but I'm wondering if their doing so is a fairly firm indication that they're pretty much done with their waitlist. Any thoughts?

Same thing....

JHUNBC said:
I checked my status on the website yesterday and while the text was all the same, the "Upper Tier Waitlist" designation was dropped. I'm assuming (hoping? :D ) that they dropped it on everyone else's page as well, but I'm wondering if their doing so is a fairly firm indication that they're pretty much done with their waitlist. Any thoughts?

JHUNBC said:

yeah, same thing happened here....whatever happened to the bulk of waitlist movement in the end of June?

Harvard hasn't moved and that is what is causing the lack of movement. Harvrd moves and it trickles on down.

maria219 said:
yeah, same thing happened here....whatever happened to the bulk of waitlist movement in the end of June?

JHUNBC said:

Hi guys,
I just called and talked to someone in admissions. She was surprised to hear that the "upper tier waitlist" specification had been removed. She said she could still see it on her screen, which is the screen that the deans so that is what matters. I think it is a computer glitch.

commuter9 said:
Hi guys,
I just called and talked to someone in admissions. She was surprised to hear that the "upper tier waitlist" specification had been removed. She said she could still see it on her screen, which is the screen that the deans so that is what matters. I think it is a computer glitch.
I just talked to the office today, and they said that they're pretty much done with waitlists. There may be one or two more accepted later on, since unforeseen things do happen, but for the most part, they are finalizing their entering class.

A total of 9 students were taken off the waitlist, but I didn't ask the break down between OOS and instate.

happydays said:
I just talked to the office today, and they said that they're pretty much done with waitlists. There may be one or two more accepted later on, since unforeseen things do happen, but for the most part, they are finalizing their entering class.

A total of 9 students were taken off the waitlist, but I didn't ask the break down between OOS and instate.

hmm..thats too bad :(
I wish they would just tell us that it's pretty much over, rather than drawing out our hopes with lines like "more waitlist movement to come, but hard to predict."

maria219 said:
hmm..thats too bad :(
I wish they would just tell us that it's pretty much over, rather than drawing out our hopes with lines like "more waitlist movement to come, but hard to predict."
hope is not all lost. I know waitlists are still moving, but it's very slow.

i've just dropped my spot from michigan (in-state). hope it goes to one of you sdn'ers! i know that dean remick and mr. ruiz are both out of town today, so it might take a few days before any more movement occurs on the waitlist.