Any Zoo Vets Out There??

Started by BigCatDoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BigCatDoc

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an RVT aspiring to become a zoo vet. I'm taking all the required classes and steps to get into vet school, but I'm wondering about farther in my future. Once I have gone through vet school and am actually practicing medicine, I want to expand beyond small animal. Now realisticlly, I know that these jobs are few and precious and basically I have to wait for someone to die before I can get a position, but I'm willing to do that!! I have been an RVT for 6 years now, and I also volunteer at a exotic feline breeding compound. I am collecting hours of wildlife experience on top of my small animal experience, but I was hoping for any advise as far as optaining my goal of one day being a zoo veterinarian. My passion is for tigers, but I would be thrilled to work with all sorts of exotic animals ranging from raptors to rhinos! Any advise would be much appreciated 🙂
 
http://www.aazv.org/

http://www.aawv.net/

http://www.aza.org/

That whole "until someone dies" is a bit of a misnomer. The problem is good paying full-time jobs where you dedicate 100% of your time are not as numerous as other industries since there are only so many collections of substantial size that can afford a proper wage. A lot of companion animal veterinarians have found plenty of opportunity to work with their local zoo, especially if it is small. I had the opportunity to work on several exotic species just because I was willing (or stupid enough) to take on the challenge in the first place.

As a zoo vet, you do work with everything from raptors to rhinos. Focusing on a single species/class is the job of zoo keepers (with the exception of avian and primate veterinarians). I would look into getting a job as a zoo veterinary technician since they exist or keeper or something along those lines. Then once in vet school, look into summer externships/preceptorships at zoos under a zoo veterinarian. Most will then start with an internship after graduation. I'm honestly not sure if they are part of the intern/resident matching program (http://www.virmp.org/virmp/) or not.
 
I worked at a great zoo for 6 years, and keeper and zoo RVT positions are also very hard to come by. You have to have a lot of experience to get into a good zoo. As for becoming a zoo vet, one of the most important things is to make connections with current veterinarians that work in zoos. I worked with an amazing zoo veterinarian, and being that it is such a small community that many of them know each other.

Originally I was very interested in zoo medicine, with a primary interest in large animals. Since starting vet school, I've already changed my mind. I plan on trying to do some consultant work with zoos however, as fetch discussed.