Anybody else fear their Pre Health Committee will screw them over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are the most common 'triggers' that earns someone a bad letter?
It is much more common for committees to write strong letters (to a fault).
I can't remember the last weak committee letter I've seen.
Some schools make it onerous to get that letter, but once you have done what they ask, they tend to make them quite pretty.
Well-known schools that used to to write pretty letters have switched to "packets" this year.

With regard to individual letters, they are rarely damning (except with faint praise). And then there is the classic "I wish I knew TRex better... but he did get a B+ in my extremely challenging class!" It's extra points for using the wrong gender.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
It is much more common for committees to write strong letters (to a fault).
I can't remember the last weak committee letter I've seen.
Some schools make it onerous to get that letter, but once you have done what they ask, they tend to make them quite pretty.
Well-known schools that used to to write pretty letters have switched to "packets" this year.

With regard to individual letters, they are rarely damning (except with faint praise). And then there is the classic "I wish I knew TRex better... but he did get a B+ in my extremely challenging class!" It's extra points for using the wrong gender.

My LOR writers know nothing personal about me. But they readily recognize me as the person who shows up to office hours and asks very good questions. My physics professor in particular really likes my questions and has commented on my scientific curiosity several times. But that's about it. They don't know anything about my work ethic, compassion, motivation etc.... I'm just the guy that likes to ask questions haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
@gyngyn

Critical Thinking (Yes)
Quantitative Reasoning (Yes)
Scientific Inquiry (Yes)
Written Communication (My exam answers are very clear and concise - does that count?)
Living Systems (Yes)
Social Skills (I was very respectful to other students and helped them when necessary - does that count?)
Oral Communication (Yes)
Reliability and Dependability (Never turned things in late - does that count?)
Resilience and Adaptability (Didn't give up on tough science concepts - does that count?)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just upset I'm still waiting for 2 of my letter writers to turn in their letters. I got everything else done except a couple of more secondaries. UGH

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just upset I'm still waiting for 2 of my letter writers to turn in their letters. I got everything else done except a couple of more secondaries. UGH
Letter writers are gonna do their own thing...I asked one of mine back in January with a May 15th “due date” he Said “that is kind of a fast turnaround time.”

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
What are the most common 'triggers' that earns someone a bad letter?
I remember someone who just had a bad attitude and pissed off her committee, and another person had a miserable MCAT score. That person decided to apply despite the committee's recommendation that s/he retake and apply later.

Social Skills (I was very respectful to other students and helped them when necessary - does that count?)
Oral Communication (Yes)
Reliability and Dependability (Never turned things in late - does that count?)
Resilience and Adaptability (Didn't give up on tough science concepts - does that count?)
These are the ones we cannot get from the rest of the application.

Reactions: 3 users