Anybody get really nervous the night before an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
And can't sleep? I've had to go through 3 interviews with about 2-3 hours of sleep under my belt. :thumbdown:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

While stressful, I definitely didn't have trouble sleeping. Usually, I was so exhausted by the plane ride that I was ready to hit the bed.

Members don't see this ad :)
:hello:

Don't usually have a ton of trouble sleeping but I definitely get really nervous...and sometimes physically sick.

Yes... I keep going over the possible interview questions in my head and it only makes me even more nervous...

And can't sleep? I've had to go through 3 interviews with about 2-3 hours of sleep under my belt. :thumbdown:scared:

Yeah, totally. Then when you can't fall asleep, you get more nervous and that makes it even harder.

Switching from PST and EST doesn't help either... :(

I probably slept around 4 hrs per night for my interviews because I couldn't fall asleep :/

not really. then again, I slept for like 12 hours before the MCAT too, so maybe I'm just a total sloth.

not really- it's just a conversation. Just be yourself. Why would you be nervous?

I often have the same problem and when I finally do fall asleep I wake up every hour or two. I've tried taking something like diphenhydramine or doxylamine the night before. Seems to help, although I try not to do it too often because I'm paranoid about oversleeping.

not really- it's just a conversation. Just be yourself. Why would you be nervous?

Maybe because I've been trying to get into medical school for two years and everything I've worked for is riding on my "conversations" with a few people?

dunno - I've slept like a baby the nights before my interviews. It is definitely stressful, but its not something you can prepare for too much so I just relax once I sit down for the interview.

"god grant us the serenity..." prayer kind of thing

For the MCAT I had trouble sleeping but for interviews not really because like previous posters stated after flying and traveling all over the place I was ready for bed. Also, hitting the hotel bar and grabbing a few beers and talking with other people helps put you in a good mood. I love visiting new places now and talking to random people at airport bars and on the plane, its pretty fun and I'm usually not that kinda stuff - I like to be in one place and thats it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe because I've been trying to get into medical school for two years and everything I've worked for is riding on my "conversations" with a few people?
X2. The interview is just way too important for me to treat it as just "a conversation with a stranger".

X2. The interview is just way too important for me to treat it as just "a conversation with a stranger".

the interview is probably not that important. it's one piece of the puzzle, and it's hard to see how such a relaxed conversation could drastically influence their opinion one way or another.

the interview is probably not that important. it's one piece of the puzzle, and it's hard to see how such a relaxed conversation could drastically influence their opinion one way or another.

I would beg to differ. The interview is a very important piece of this whole admissions puzzle, you know.

But it is just a conversation - there's not mystery to it. The interviewers view it as a conversation, and trying too hard to impress them will just hurt your chances.

I'd say its significance is overstated.

I wish you were right, but the interview is what separates thousands of kids with "3.8/30 and some volunteer work."

Right - so, unlike many 3.8/30 kids, don't try too hard being someone you're not. Be sincere and carry on with the topic you two are discussing - be it directly related to you application or medicine in general. And if they like you, they'll accept you. If not, what else could you have done?

It's ok to be a bit nervous, but to be so nervous that you can't sleep is potentially the sign of a problem.

You mentioned in another thread that you did poorly in interviews. You've worked hard to have a great GPA and an adequate MCAT score. What those are doesn't matter, it was enough to get you interviews. What have you done over this same period of time to prepare yourself to do great in interviews?

A doctor needs to be an effective communicator. It's easy and effortless for some people, others need to work at it. You know how to focus and work hard, use these skills to learn how to express yourself effectively. With practice and preparation, you'll become confident. You'll do fine with your interviews (and you'll sleep well too).

You're right, that the interview is one element used to choose from a pool of equally qualified applicants. Make it your strength.

It's ok to be a bit nervous, but to be so nervous that you can't sleep is potentially the sign of a problem.

You mentioned in another thread that you did poorly in interviews. You've worked hard to have a great GPA and an adequate MCAT score. What those are doesn't matter, it was enough to get you interviews. What have you done over this same period of time to prepare yourself to do great in interviews?

A doctor needs to be an effective communicator. It's easy and effortless for some people, others need to work at it. You know how to focus and work hard, use these skills to learn how to express yourself effectively. With practice and preparation, you'll become confident. You'll do fine with your interviews (and you'll sleep well too).

You're right, that the interview is one element used to choose from a pool of equally qualified applicants. Make it your strength.

The OP is prob a typeA premed just like most of us with some anxiety issues lol get some benzos and you'll be fine :thumbup:

I think too many people think doctors are these perfect superior humans with no problems. Thats obviously not always the case and this doesn't mean the OP won't cut it.

The OP is prob a typeA premed just like most of us with some anxiety issues lol get some benzos and you'll be fine :thumbup:

I think too many people think doctors are these perfect superior humans with no problems. Thats obviously not always the case and this doesn't mean the OP won't cut it.

Thanks doxy, I just get a little overly anxious before my interviews and was just seeing if anyone else had to deal with going to the interviews running on no sleep. Haha I think I'll be able to cut it:thumbup:

It's actually worse. I've heard of many interviewers or adcoms having veto power, but I haven't heard of any having the power to completely accept an applicant.

At one school, I got a grand total of 1hr of sleep or less the night before.
Nervous, excited... just couldnt stop playing out interview scenarios.

Glad for NE and Cortisol. I survived.

Nah...I'm usually pretty exhausted because its hard for me to sleep on planes...and usually I just watch TV until I'm sleepy but I always got at least 6 hours....

Right - so, unlike many 3.8/30 kids, don't try too hard being someone you're not. Be sincere and carry on with the topic you two are discussing - be it directly related to you application or medicine in general. And if they like you, they'll accept you. If not, what else could you have done?
You can't assume every interview is going to be a "relaxed conversation". You're not going to sit there and shoot the shizt and talk about jersey shore.

There ARE things you can do for the interview process.

Know your application inside out. Know what you wrote in your personal statement. Know what you wrote on your secondaries. They can ask about any of that.

If your knowledge of current events, biomedical ethics, and healthcare is lacking, then read up on it. While you don't want to sound like a textbook or a cookie cutter interviewee, you certainly want enough info to form your own opinions. It's good to say "I don't know" rather than BS, but there's only so many times you can say it before the interviewer starts glancing at his watch repeatedly.

I only had one "relaxed conversation" interview, and it was with a med student interviewer at Galveston.

I've had a relaxed conversation interview, and it was with an Endocrinologist at UCSD.

I'd say its significance is overstated.

No, you are clearly understating its importance.

Whether you take it seriously or not is your prerogative. But that doesn't change the fact that it is a big part of your acceptance.

But it is just a conversation - there's not mystery to it. The interviewers view it as a conversation, and trying too hard to impress them will just hurt your chances.

There's no mystery to it??? I hope you're not serious...all the interview is is one big MYSTERY! Think about it...people tell you to know your AMCAS/secondaries very well. You also hear to read up on healthcare, ethical stuff, current events, etc. All that advice does is give you a foundation so to speak for POSSIBLE questions. The fact is that their are countless ethical questions that could be asked and/or countless current event questions that could be asked...not to mention any random question out there that they feel like asking to put you on the spot...and there is obviously no way to prepare for all of those. Therefore, most people find this to be very unsettling and somewhat of a hit or miss deal. Yeah, you can look at it like "well, you can't prepare for everything so don't worry about it"...but then you can look at it like "well, I can't prepare for everything and I'm worried that I'll be asked something Idk about or that I'll freeze up and/or say something stupid"...which would give the interviewer/AdCom a skewed view of the type of person you are (in which case you screwed up your one chance to impress them in person). Moreover, some people have very borderline stats which puts a lot more pressure on them to smoke their interviews in order to make their move. I understand some people getting more nervous than others...but to act like this is just a walk in the park/a standard conversation with a stranger and that there is not much to be nervous about is ludicrous in my opinion.

I think the problem with most people is that they approach interviews as tests you can study for, and you're wanting a "high score." That's true to a certain extent - you can look over your application and make sure you touch high points - but so much about your performance in interviews is directly related to your personality and other factors that simply can't be changed in a week (or even a month, or several months). These people are probably stressed because they're trying to do last-minute "studying" to make sure they don't forget everything.

There's obviously going to be some baseline amount of stress. However, I think people that have 1) done some introspective reflection about their time in college, especially with respect to their career choice, 2) are capable of talking with people, and 3) have interesting things to say won't be nervous in interviews and will probably do well. Everyone seems to think you can just work hard enough and you'll eventually get good at interviewing. Like I said, this is probably true to some extent, but I think some are naturally good at interviewing and some aren't.

There is some luck involved - maybe the questions you're asked, the interviewer you get (i.e., amiable or hostile), and other little things like that - but I don't think it's this huge "mystery" that some are making it out to be.

The more you interview the less stress and more sleep you will get. At least that was the case for me. I was extremely excited about interviewing for the first 3 interviews,,, then I realized how much school i was missing and how much the plane tickets cost and how much time traveling took. After a while, even though it was still cool and fun, it became more easy and less stressful. + after acceptance #1 you will feel completely different.

The more you interview the less stress and more sleep you will get. At least that was the case for me. I was extremely excited about interviewing for the first 3 interviews,,, then I realized how much school i was missing and how much the plane tickets cost and how much time traveling took. After a while, even though it was still cool and fun, it became more easy and less stressful. + after acceptance #1 you will feel completely different.

I'm sure that is the case... except I'm not in school, every school I applied to is within 5 hours (driving distance), and I'm on hold every place I have interviewed and still have one to go.

So needless to say it's going to be stressful for me.

There's no mystery to it??? I hope you're not serious...all the interview is is one big MYSTERY! Think about it...people tell you to know your AMCAS/secondaries very well. You also hear to read up on healthcare, ethical stuff, current events, etc. All that advice does is give you a foundation so to speak for POSSIBLE questions. The fact is that their are countless ethical questions that could be asked and/or countless current event questions that could be asked...not to mention any random question out there that they feel like asking to put you on the spot...and there is obviously no way to prepare for all of those. Therefore, most people find this to be very unsettling and somewhat of a hit or miss deal. Yeah, you can look at it like "well, you can't prepare for everything so don't worry about it"...but then you can look at it like "well, I can't prepare for everything and I'm worried that I'll be asked something Idk about or that I'll freeze up and/or say something stupid"...which would give the interviewer/AdCom a skewed view of the type of person you are (in which case you screwed up your one chance to impress them in person). Moreover, some people have very borderline stats which puts a lot more pressure on them to smoke their interviews in order to make their move. I understand some people getting more nervous than others...but to act like this is just a walk in the park/a standard conversation with a stranger and that there is not much to be nervous about is ludicrous in my opinion.

Uptight, much?

Chill - sheesh. I haven't really had a "stress" interview and havn't lost sleep before an interview. That's just my case and how i approach an interview.

If you can't sleep, have a beer. One beer may help you sleep if you're stressed. Just try not to have 12 beers to sleep before your interview ;)

You guys are really going to enjoy the night before your Step One exam, when basically you can ruin your options if you want to enter a competitive residency. I always slept fine before med school interviews but the night before Step One, I got about two hours of sleep. In fact, I had trouble sleeping for about two weeks before that exam, and I am a world class sleeper. Fortunately, I fortified myself with coffee, and did well. Man, that was stressful.

Anyway, good luck with the interviews. You don't have to worry about Step One for two years plus years or so.

I think people get that way when they see others giving out bad advice.

Ummm?? At some interviews the admissions people reiterate to us that the interviewers want to get to know us. Moreover, two interviewers have said to me "this is just a conversation. I just want to get to know you so relax." Will they discuss parts of your application? sure. Will they ask about healtchare/ethics? Maybe. But you can answer the questions in a professional but conversational manner. An interview dosen't have to be an interrogation session. And, as you can see above, other posters agree that most of their interviews have been conversational. Also, having this mindset will keep you from getting "really nervous" the night before. Going into an interview sleep deprived and super nervous won't help your cause.
Chill, superman

:cool:

Anxiety before an interview is normal. Find healthy ways to reduce your anxiety though, so that you get plenty of rest the night before.

I have sleep issues. So I took some ambien the night before my interviews. Worked for me...that thing puts your right out :D

I have sleep issues. So I took some ambien the night before my interviews. Worked for me...that thing puts your right out :D

+1 - if I can't fall asleep within an hour, I end up taking a Diphenhydramine HCl pill. (It's used as Benadryl - how bad can taking it once a week or so be?)