ANYBODY heard back for HPSP yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Beach, did you apply to the Navy and Army too?

And from all the threads and from what people are saying, we just need to sit back and see how it all plays out. A lot of people said there were no Navy 4 year HPSPs left and applying would be futile. DrTank said he was likely seen in the March/April boards (like the rest of us) and received a 4 year HPSP; he does have some crazy-arse stats though if you check out his predents profile. Regardless, it gives us a glimmer of hope :thumbup:

Anyway, a 3.5 is better than nothing is my mindset at the moment.

Fo Realzz. One of the most important things for me regarding the HPSP was being able to live comfortably during school and not worrying about being on a super tight budget. :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

i only did the army do u think i should apply for the navy as well?

Hey Beach, did you apply to the Navy and Army too?

And from all the threads and from what people are saying, we just need to sit back and see how it all plays out. A lot of people said there were no Navy 4 year HPSPs left and applying would be futile. DrTank said he was likely seen in the March/April boards (like the rest of us) and received a 4 year HPSP; he does have some crazy-arse stats though if you check out his predents profile. Regardless, it gives us a glimmer of hope :thumbup:

Anyway, a 3.5 is better than nothing is my mindset at the moment.

Fo Realzz. One of the most important things for me regarding the HPSP was being able to live comfortably during school and not worrying about being on a super tight budget. :xf:

That and not having to worry about finding a job after graduating.

i only did the army do u think i should apply for the navy as well?

Not to be a downer, but it's waaaay too late for the Navy at this point IMO. You can always try though. I mean, people said there were no scholarships left and one of the above posters proved that wrong. So ya never know.

Members don't see this ad :)
dang man.. congrats. i went to have my app review for the april board. it kinda blows because i wasn't offered the 4 year hpsp. they said that all scholarships were given out - they are now at a "full". my recruiter told me that my application will be reviewed in oct. from there.. if i get granted i would prob get the 3.5 yr scholarship which payments will be distrubuted starting January of 2012 (during my first yr of dental school). kinda blows because im probably gonna get the 20k scholarship so basically serving 4 year n still only getting the 3.5yr pay. what are ur views based on this? i want to specialize. do u think i will get the 3.5 yr scholarship in oct?

sucks man =[ usc is hella expensive!

I would gladly take the 3.5yr HPSP if I had not received the 4yr. Especially if i were going to attend USC (super expensive and tons of debt).

I also hear that it is easier to specialize through the military so you should take that into consideration.

I cant really tell you if you will receive the 3.5. I have no idea how this whole process works.

But its your call man and good luck.

That and not having to worry about finding a job after graduating.

Not to be a downer, but it's waaaay too late for the Navy at this point IMO. You can always try though. I mean, people said there were no scholarships left and one of the above posters proved that wrong. So ya never know.

Not applying for the four year hsps for navy, just the 3.5/3yr

So I am more than a little pissed off, my recruiter called me and said they want me to come in and get measured (like height weight stuff). I already made weight at my MEPS physical and it shouldn't be a real big issue, but I have to drive 1.5 hours one way to have someone who is "qualified" measure me. What is the point of having the height and weight standards if they just ignore them...so stupid. So tomorrow I get to travel 3 hours to spend 5 minutes getting taped. With my luck, they will disqualify me based on the tape even though I already made weight!:thumbdown:

Thought i'd post a followup. I got taped today, and surprise, i'm not over weight...again lol. My recruiter said it's basically now a race to see who's apps. get the nod first. This little holdup may put mine behind but hopefully it'll all go through smoothly. Sounds like Fridays are when all the new news comes out.

If our application was looked at in April board will we find somthing out this Friday?

If our application was looked at in April board will we find somthing out this Friday?

Not completely sure. According to my recruiter, there was such a large volume of apps for the March board that they ran a board every week into mid-April. But NAT mentioned hearing from his recruiter that news will be out this Friday.

My recruiter said 7-10 days (May 3-6). So it seems we will know for sure by next Friday (if it doesn't happen tomorrow).

**Edit: You're medical? They have a lot more medical than dental HPSPs. I don't think you have anything to worry about man.

Not completely sure. According to my recruiter, there was such a large volume of apps for the March board that they ran a board every week into mid-April. But NAT mentioned hearing from his recruiter that news will be out this Friday.

My recruiter said 7-10 days (May 3-6). So it seems we will know for sure by next Friday (if it doesn't happen tomorrow).

**Edit: You're medical? They have a lot more medical than dental HPSPs. I don't think you have anything to worry about man.

John, is this for the navy? 4yr hpsp? I thought they said the navy is full already... According Tony recruiter, he said all branches r all set to a full for the four year hsps..

So confused.

Thought i'd post a followup. I got taped today, and surprise, i'm not over weight...again lol. My recruiter said it's basically now a race to see who's apps. get the nod first. This little holdup may put mine behind but hopefully it'll all go through smoothly. Sounds like Fridays are when all the new news comes out.

Just to clarify, my recruiter said new news should come out friday (and typically each friday), so if your application made it through, you may know this friday. My application is still being processed so it's likely I won't hear anything before next friday. Sorry for the confusion.

John, is this for the navy? 4yr hpsp? I thought they said the navy is full already... According Tony recruiter, he said all branches r all set to a full for the four year hsps.

Yeah, this is for the Navy HPSP. If you look on the thread before clicking on it, you can see tags now (it's relatively new). I comment on this thread bc I applied to both the Navy and Army. If I hear back from the Army, I'll comment on your thread (the one you started a few weeks ago). Hope that clears it up!

General consensus is that it's full. But I'm thinking 2-3 might open up. Well, hoping at least :xf:

Just to clarify, my recruiter said new news should come out friday (and typically each friday), so if your application made it through, you may know this friday. My application is still being processed so it's likely I won't hear anything before next friday. Sorry for the confusion.

It's all good. Either way, we'll know this week or next. Hopefully this week!

Yeah, this is for the Navy HPSP. If you look on the thread before clicking on it, you can see tags now (it's relatively new). I comment on this thread bc I applied to both the Navy and Army. If I hear back from the Army, I'll comment on your thread (the one you started a few weeks ago). Hope that clears it up!

General consensus is that it's full. But I'm thinking 2-3 might open up. Well, hoping at least :xf:

It's all good. Either way, we'll know this week or next. Hopefully this week!

awesome.. let me know how it goes! good luck. sucks im on the waiting list for the army hpsp. i think im going to apply for the navy to be reviewed in octobers board soon. so stressed... i was banking on hpsp but "they are full" according to my recruiter. all the other applicants who went to meps with me also got placed on the waiting list because it's "full". hopefully i can get some funding. USC = 420K!!!!!!! =[

best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Whelp, my app is going on for the 3 year HPSP :oops:. Best of luck everyone!

According to my recruiter, more people received rejections on Friday. No update on OML or acceptances (yet).

Well, this was a few weeks ago, but my recruiter said that I was one of several people who had their applications put to the wayside because they were flooded with applications at the end. Basically, they looked at apps until they had enough offered (52) and enough to put on the waitlist (20). Anyone who was after that last application viewed and placed on waitlist did not have their application looked at. This is what i was told anyways.

Kind of sucks considering I missed the March board by a day or two and didn't even have my application looked at. :thumbdown:

Well, this was a few weeks ago, but my recruiter said that I was one of several people who had their applications put to the wayside because they were flooded with applications at the end. Basically, they looked at apps until they had enough offered (52) and enough to put on the waitlist (20). Anyone who was after that last application viewed and placed on waitlist did not have their application looked at. This is what i was told anyways.

Kind of sucks considering I missed the March board by a day or two and didn't even have my application looked at. :thumbdown:

I think I am in a similar situation. I found out my recruiter has been lying to me about my application and it's status. He told me originally that I made it into that selection board and that it was still in the works. I hadn't heard from him for 2 weeks so I went into his office and he was saying he was trying to get my application into the next upcoming selection board. I was like wtf?!? :confused: you told me (and emailed me) that I had already made it through the selection board. He kept avoiding my questions and when I kept pushing him to explain himself he said he must have been mistaken. Which is a lie because I have emails where he told me I had already been "professionally recommended" or whatever that is. I could tell by his demeanor he didn't like being called out on his lie and was very uncomfortable. Needless to say he is a poor reflection on the Navy and the recruiting department. I'm not sure if I am interested in a Navy 3 year if they are even possible at this point. I don't understand why he would have done this unless he needed to submit applications for his recruiting numbers or something.

Hey All,
I thought I would share the most legit information i could come across. I recently received the HPSP, as in the decision was made Friday the 6th of May, and my recruiter told me Monday morning. He is a Master Chief (E9) and seems to know a lot about this whole process. He said the Navy has filled all spots for those to be commissioned in August. However, their budget has allowed them to commission around 20 more in October. Down side is, if you have a summer semester you will not be reimbursed. Yet, if you are commissioned in the middle of a semester you will be COMPLETELY reimbursed for the entire cost of the tuition and will begin getting paid directly following your commissioning. You will not be reimbursed for living expenses or any other semester prior to the one you commissioned in the middle of. He was very certain and has double checked the whole situation multiple times. I know its easy not trust recruiters, however the MC is one of the top dogs in the game and has only built my confidence in him over the past few months. So that being said.. I would say this is the latest rendition of the status of the Navy HPSP.

Hey All,
I thought I would share the most legit information i could come across. I recently received the HPSP, as in the decision was made Friday the 6th of May, and my recruiter told me Monday morning. He is a Master Chief (E9) and seems to know a lot about this whole process. He said the Navy has filled all spots for those to be commissioned in August. However, their budget has allowed them to commission around 20 more in October. Down side is, if you have a summer semester you will not be reimbursed. Yet, if you are commissioned in the middle of a semester you will be COMPLETELY reimbursed for the entire cost of the tuition and will begin getting paid directly following your commissioning. You will not be reimbursed for living expenses or any other semester prior to the one you commissioned in the middle of. He was very certain and has double checked the whole situation multiple times. I know its easy not trust recruiters, however the MC is one of the top dogs in the game and has only built my confidence in him over the past few months. So that being said.. I would say this is the latest rendition of the status of the Navy HPSP.

Thanks for the info. Quaz, it's my understanding that if you commission mid-sememter as you mentioned above you will not be reimbursed for the stipend. You will just start receiving it when you commission, can you confirm this? Also, would you still receive the 20k bonus if you get the scholarship in this manner?

However, their budget has allowed them to commission around 20 more in October. Down side is, if you have a summer semester you will not be reimbursed. Yet, if you are commissioned in the middle of a semester you will be COMPLETELY reimbursed for the entire cost of the tuition and will begin getting paid directly following your commissioning.

Hmm, so it's really NOT a 3.5 year scholarship then? I mean, if they reimburse our first semester tuition, then it's really a 4 year scholarship :confused:

Hmm, so it's really NOT a 3.5 year scholarship then? I mean, if they reimburse our first semester tuition, then it's really a 4 year scholarship :confused:
--
Durian, This is correct, it is a four year scholarhip. You just have to wait to commission. But it WILL be reimbursed for any semester you are commissioned in the middle of. So if you have no summer semester, then you will get money for ALL 4 years!!!

Thanks for the info. Quaz, it's my understanding that if you commission mid-sememter as you mentioned above you will not be reimbursed for the stipend. You will just start receiving it when you commission, can you confirm this? Also, would you still receive the 20k bonus if you get the scholarship in this manner?

NAT- This is correct, you will not be reimbursed for the stipend for the semester, and will simply start from ground zero as soon as you commission, and get regular stipend payments. So loans will have to be used to cover this. And as far as the 20K goes, Master Chief said you are eligible for this as well.

is it too late to apply for the navy scholarship?

--
Durian, This is correct, it is a four year scholarhip. You just have to wait to commission. But it WILL be reimbursed for any semester you are commissioned in the middle of. So if you have no summer semester, then you will get money for ALL 4 years!!!

NAT- This is correct, you will not be reimbursed for the stipend for the semester, and will simply start from ground zero as soon as you commission, and get regular stipend payments. So loans will have to be used to cover this. And as far as the 20K goes, Master Chief said you are eligible for this as well.

I'm towards the end of the process, and last I heard of my application, my Recruiter tells me that it was still at the Boards on April 7th. So I recieve a letter on May 3rd from my Dental School saying they have prepared a financial aid package for me and when I look at it online it says that I have an Armed forces Health Professional Scholarship for about 32K a semester, but when I asked my recruiter he said that I haven't gotten the HPSP just yet, since Memphis flooded last week the Boards shut down so they got backed up. I'm not sure what this means then at this point for me, is it possible that my school already has my scholarship directly from the Navy? Or does this still not mean I even have it yet at all? But where else could they get the info from to prepare my Financial aid package for Fall11 and Spring12? :xf:

I'm towards the end of the process, and last I heard of my application, my Recruiter tells me that it was still at the Boards on April 7th. So I recieve a letter on May 3rd from my Dental School saying they have prepared a financial aid package for me and when I look at it online it says that I have an Armed forces Health Professional Scholarship for about 32K a semester, but when I asked my recruiter he said that I haven't gotten the HPSP just yet, since Memphis flooded last week the Boards shut down so they got backed up. I'm not sure what this means then at this point for me, is it possible that my school already has my scholarship directly from the Navy? Or does this still not mean I even have it yet at all? But where else could they get the info from to prepare my Financial aid package for Fall11 and Spring12? :xf:

have you sworn in? obv not based on what your recruiter is saying...so i can't possibly see how your school would already have the money set in your name. the govt. is not sending out a dime until you swear in and sign that contract, no chance. there has to be some other mix up going on here. recruiters will make the situation sound better than it is all the time, but i can't believe he'd be holding out on you if you already had the scholarship in the bag...right?

have you sworn in? obv not based on what your recruiter is saying...so i can't possibly see how your school would already have the money set in your name. the govt. is not sending out a dime until you swear in and sign that contract, no chance. there has to be some other mix up going on here. recruiters will make the situation sound better than it is all the time, but i can't believe he'd be holding out on you if you already had the scholarship in the bag...right?

True, I just got the call saying I was the last to get the HSCP for the class of 2015, we did both just in case, luckily it worked out all right. I'm guessing that means HPSP is definitely full

Just got off the phone with my recruiter. Apparently, there are 20 spots available for the FY2012 HPSP, although they are technically considered part of the FY2011 because it is those same applicants. I was just informed I have a guaranteed spot of these 20 available, which will commission around November-December. I was wondering if anyone else had heard back? He told me there is already a list of the 20 people, including a waitlist. My understanding was that there would be another boards around October, but he told me otherwise. I would hate to believe him though, because it wouldn't be the first time he gave me incorrect info.

Anyways, he told me that you will get payed starting on the day you commission, so if you do during the 1st semester, you will be back-payed for the schooling only, not the stipend. For me, my 1st quarter ends on December 15, so if I commission before that, then it will be paid for and will be like a normal 4-year HPSP, except without the stipend for those first few months (August-December).

I'm eager to hear back from you other guys that have a straight up recruiter and tells you all the details in full, because I am completely fed up with my recruiter! Please, if you could, run this info passed them and see if it holds to be true. I am really trying to make a final decision in taking this or not, so correct info is very important in this process.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if you could switch recruiters mid-way through? I have been lied to and told incorrect info from my guy and would really appreciate a straight shooter so I could actually make an informed decision.

Another thing to add too because it's on topic. I was told to my face from my recruiter at least 3 times when I went to sign the paperwork that the HPSP was a 3-year deal, +1 year if you take the $20k sign-on bonus. I was surprised because I always thought it was a year for a year, so 4-years +1 for sign on bonus. Well, he just told me today that it's actually the 4-years +1 year active duty if you take the sign-on bonus, which doesn't surprise me. I guess it was too good to be true initially when he told me it was 3 +1, but just in case you guys didn't know.

Looking forward to your responses!

Last edited:
I think I am in a similar situation. I found out my recruiter has been lying to me about my application and it's status. He told me originally that I made it into that selection board and that it was still in the works. I hadn't heard from him for 2 weeks so I went into his office and he was saying he was trying to get my application into the next upcoming selection board. I was like wtf?!? :confused: you told me (and emailed me) that I had already made it through the selection board. He kept avoiding my questions and when I kept pushing him to explain himself he said he must have been mistaken. Which is a lie because I have emails where he told me I had already been "professionally recommended" or whatever that is. I could tell by his demeanor he didn't like being called out on his lie and was very uncomfortable. Needless to say he is a poor reflection on the Navy and the recruiting department. I'm not sure if I am interested in a Navy 3 year if they are even possible at this point. I don't understand why he would have done this unless he needed to submit applications for his recruiting numbers or something.

So I just got a call this morning from my recruiter and I got the 4 year HPSP scholarship. He said I can sign the paperwork and swear in anytime after August first. I quoted my previous post from above to demonstrate that I was a little confused when he called me but i'm not going to complain one bit. I asked him twice "so it is 100% guaranteed that I have the scholarship as long as I sign the paperwork" and he said yep, it's for sure. He said they posted the latest results and I got it (not sure if they came out last friday or today). The last step is I am going to ask for copies of the paperwork I will need to sign to make sure I don't have any questions to ask on August 1st when I sign the paperwork. It's been a crazy ride and I am a little hesitate to get super excited until I sign the dotted line.

Just got off the phone with my recruiter. Apparently, there are 20 spots available for the FY2012 HPSP, although they are technically considered part of the FY2011 because it is those same applicants. I was just informed I have a guaranteed spot of these 20 available, which will commission around November-December. I was wondering if anyone else had heard back? He told me there is already a list of the 20 people, including a waitlist. My understanding was that there would be another boards around October, but he told me otherwise. I would hate to believe him though, because it wouldn't be the first time he gave me incorrect info.

Anyways, he told me that you will get payed starting on the day you commission, so if you do during the 1st semester, you will be back-payed for the schooling only, not the stipend. For me, my 1st quarter ends on December 15, so if I commission before that, then it will be paid for and will be like a normal 4-year HPSP, except without the stipend for those first few months (August-December).

I'm eager to hear back from you other guys that have a straight up recruiter and tells you all the details in full, because I am completely fed up with my recruiter! Please, if you could, run this info passed them and see if it holds to be true. I am really trying to make a final decision in taking this or not, so correct info is very important in this process.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if you could switch recruiters mid-way through? I have been lied to and told incorrect info from my guy and would really appreciate a straight shooter so I could actually make an informed decision.

Another thing to add too because it's on topic. I was told to my face from my recruiter at least 3 times when I went to sign the paperwork that the HPSP was a 3-year deal, +1 year if you take the $20k sign-on bonus. I was surprised because I always thought it was a year for a year, so 4-years +1 for sign on bonus. Well, he just told me today that it's actually the 4-years +1 year active duty if you take the sign-on bonus, which doesn't surprise me. I guess it was too good to be true initially when he told me it was 3 +1, but just in case you guys didn't know.

Looking forward to your responses!

You are correct that they will back pay the tuition, but not the stipend, as long as you commission before the last day of the first semester. HPSP is a year-for-year commitment, with a minimum commitment of 3 years. Taking the 20k bonus, makes your minimum commitment 4 years, but it is not actually adding an extra year. For example, if you get a 4 year scholarship, it is a 4 year active duty commitment whether or not you take the signing bonus (so, it would be stupid not to take it). If you get a 3 year scholarship without the bonus, you will owe 3 years. A 3 year scholarship with the bonus obligates you to 4 years. If you somehow got a 2 year scholarship, you would owe 3 years, or 4 years if you also took the bonus. Make sense?

Nat426, I sure hope what he is saying is the truth! I have come to conclude there are very few honest and straight forward recruiters nowadays. As nice as my guy seems, he has contradicted himself more times than not and withheld info from me on various occasions. As I said before, I don't know how I can have a guaranteed spot for October-December when I haven't changed anything from my application, I still need my MEPS. In both our cases, I truly do hope it's the God honest truth or else we will definitely be WAY pissed.

And del SOL, I did understand exactly from the beginning before I spoke with my recruiter. He was the one who screwed up all the info regarding the active duty requirements, but I am also in a completely different situation now as well. Since I won't be commissioned until November or December, it will basically be a 3.5-year HPSP. However, he has told me it still counts as a 4-year HPSP, so it will be 4-years active duty, +1-year if I take the sign-on bonus.

Just for some laughter for you all to know about my recruiter, I asked him what took so long and what happened exactly to my FY2011 application and he told me this, "This year the east coast dental schools released their acceptance letters earlier than the west coast schools, so the applicants from over there got their applications in much earlier. There were so many that it just filled up very quickly this year." I honestly wanted to reach through the phone and slap him upside the head because I knew he was blatantly lying to my face! This is also the same recruiter that didn't have any clue whatsoever about the dental application process and didn't even recognize competitive DAT scores. You think a medical officer recruiter that got an applicant with the stats I had would recognize it right away, but it took him a month to cross-reference it and actually notice this! He had no idea what he was doing this whole time... just sad.

Anyways, best of luck to you and hopefully someone else gets some info on this October-December ordeal so we can hopefully get something concrete.

Nat426, I sure hope what he is saying is the truth! I have come to conclude there are very few honest and straight forward recruiters nowadays. As nice as my guy seems, he has contradicted himself more times than not and withheld info from me on various occasions. As I said before, I don't know how I can have a guaranteed spot for October-December when I haven't changed anything from my application, I still need my MEPS. In both our cases, I truly do hope it's the God honest truth or else we will definitely be WAY pissed.

And del SOL, I did understand exactly from the beginning before I spoke with my recruiter. He was the one who screwed up all the info regarding the active duty requirements, but I am also in a completely different situation now as well. Since I won't be commissioned until November or December, it will basically be a 3.5-year HPSP. However, he has told me it still counts as a 4-year HPSP, so it will be 4-years active duty, +1-year if I take the sign-on bonus.

Just for some laughter for you all to know about my recruiter, I asked him what took so long and what happened exactly to my FY2011 application and he told me this, "This year the east coast dental schools released their acceptance letters earlier than the west coast schools, so the applicants from over there got their applications in much earlier. There were so many that it just filled up very quickly this year." I honestly wanted to reach through the phone and slap him upside the head because I knew he was blatantly lying to my face! This is also the same recruiter that didn't have any clue whatsoever about the dental application process and didn't even recognize competitive DAT scores. You think a medical officer recruiter that got an applicant with the stats I had would recognize it right away, but it took him a month to cross-reference it and actually notice this! He had no idea what he was doing this whole time... just sad.

Anyways, best of luck to you and hopefully someone else gets some info on this October-December ordeal so we can hopefully get something concrete.

I hope i'm not getting jerked around too and that it does work out. I typically trust an individual until I am given a reason not to trust them. From that point on, said individual is going to have to really earn my trust back. My friends were all really excited for me and wondering why I wasn't super excited but like I said before, until I sign the dotted line I won't get myself too worked up. A funny thing too is my uncle is retired Army and he was a recruiter for 4-5 years and being a previous recruiter he is always reminding me that recruiters are full of... well you know. Basically, they can and will tell you everything to get you to sign on the dotted line and if it's not in your contract, forget it. That is one reason that I am asking for copies of the forms I will be required to sign so I can review them before hand.

Your recruiter is wrong. If you get a 3.5 year scholarship, your commitment is 4 years of active duty whether or not you take the bonus. Taking the bonus DOES NOT add on an extra year of active duty, it simply makes your minimum active duty commitment 4 years. A 3.5 year scholarship with the bonus will obligate you to 4 years of active duty, not 5. I know because I carefully read my contract. Hope this helps.

Your recruiter is wrong. If you get a 3.5 year scholarship, your commitment is 4 years of active duty whether or not you take the bonus. Taking the bonus DOES NOT add on an extra year of active duty, it simply makes your minimum active duty commitment 4 years. A 3.5 year scholarship with the bonus will obligate you to 4 years of active duty, not 5. I know because I carefully read my contract. Hope this helps.

Well that sounds awesome! Obviously I won't know anything concrete until I see a contract, so it will be a while before that happens. But like I said, I am hesitant to believe much of the info my recruiter is telling me because he says it's the same as the 4-year HPSP, which obviously doesn't make sense like you said. Thanks for the insight!

Another board this past Friday, there are spots left, called Millington myself. all the rest is all financial mumbo jumbo and weird navy funding situations.

Another board this past Friday, there are spots left, called Millington myself. all the rest is all financial mumbo jumbo and weird navy funding situations.

I assume you are referring to...

Navy Recruiting Command
Public Affairs Office
5722 Integrity Drive, Bldg 784
Millington, TN 38054
Public Affairs Office
(901) 874-9048
Officer Candidate School
(901) 874-9236
Harp Duty
(901) 874-3416
Government Leased Housing (GLH)
(901) 874-7325
Information Systems Help Desk
(901) 874-9355

I'd be curious to know who you spoke with and what they said. Especially where it appears you are a medical student, not a dental student and the slots are different for the two.

Last edited:
So I just got a call this morning from my recruiter and I got the 4 year HPSP scholarship. He said I can sign the paperwork and swear in anytime after August first. I quoted my previous post from above to demonstrate that I was a little confused when he called me but i'm not going to complain one bit. I asked him twice "so it is 100% guaranteed that I have the scholarship as long as I sign the paperwork" and he said yep, it's for sure.

Sounds kind of fishy to me. I mean, why are they making you wait until August 1st?!

I ask this because I just received the Army 4 year HPSP. My recruiter got the news on June 11th, called me June 11th, had me come in on June 16th to sign all the paperwork (carefully read it and it's indeed the 4 year HPSP), swear in, fingerprinted, etc.

Unless the Navy is verrrrry different form the Army, I'm going to say that recruiter is full of B.S.

Last edited:

And this seems very unlikely for this cycle. A lot, and I mean a lot, of very competitive/qualified people have already submitted all their documents, sent to boards, had physicals, etc and we were still put on the OML. So unless you got some crazy stats, I'd say it's very unlikely you'd jump on top of the OML and get a spot this year.

Most likely scenario is that you got boarded, put on the OML, and will receive a 3.5yr HPSP after Oct 1st (fiscal 2012?). Good luck though :luck:

Sounds kind of fishy to me. I mean, why are they making you wait until August 1st?!

I ask this because I just received the Army 4 year HPSP. My recruiter got the news on June 11th, called me June 11th, had me come in on June 16th to sign all the paperwork (carefully read it and it's indeed the 4 year HPSP), swear in, fingerprinted, etc.

Unless the Navy is verrrrry different form the Army, I'm going to say that recruiter is full of B.S.

This recruiter was jerking me around, he told me I was selected for the 4 year scholarship and that I just had to sign the paperwork. I asked him to email a copy of the paperwork so I could review it and when I asked for that he said... oh, it's not the hpsp it's the collegiate program. The collegiate program just doesn't make sense financially so I said no but I still wanted to be considered for the 4 year if there were slots in Oct. Of course he went on his recruiter rant trying to get me to sign on the dotted line, saying there would definitely not be any slots opening up in Oct.