Anybody here in a Fraternity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaboyak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of rushing this year. I may or may not. We'll see. Anyway, I wanted to see if I was the only one with that idea. That and if that would look good/bad or neither on an MD program application.

Thanks for the input ahead of time. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I considered doing the frat thing, but the one I was interested in had a real problem with the fact that I don't drink. :confused: They told me it wasn't a big deal--which, I don't know why it would be in the first place--and then apparently made it a big issue when deciding whether to let me "in their club".

I guess you just aren't cool unless you get drunk nightly and smash your own windows with alarm clocks. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Joining a fraternity was the best thing I could have done in college. Regardless of if it "helped" me in my application is irrelevant given the memorable moments that I will never forget. BTW, I am not a heavy drinker at all. I strongly advise you to join a fraternity but pick one wisely. Some are heavy into drugs and drinking, others are all about brotherhood. During rush, fraternities may lie to you to get you to join so be advised to be very skepticall in what they tell you.

Yeah, they told me they were very much into brotherhood and community work, etc. I don't know how they found time for that when they were partying every single night for a month and a half straight.

I forgot to add I think it actually helped me at one of my interviews. I was asked the question if I was the "typical" pre-med who studies non stop and never enjoys life. I replied with the fact that I was in a fraternity and listed the events that I planned and how it increased my social skillssss blah blah blah... you get the point.

Most schools have, in your case, an Interfraternity Council which keeps track of what one might consider important factors in choosing a fraternity. I highly suggest finding their office and finding the records of the frat you are interested in. These records can include GPA, campus and community involvement, volunteering hours per person, etc., all compared against the other fraternities on campus. It is my recommendation to double check what you are being told, because though they can lie to your face, their records can't.

Most schools have, in your case, an Interfraternity Council which keeps track of what one might consider important factors in choosing a fraternity. I highly suggest finding their office and finding the records of the frat you are interested in. These records can include GPA, campus and community involvement, volunteering hours per person, etc., all compared against the other fraternities on campus. It is my recommendation to double check what you are being told, because though they can lie to your face, their records can't.

most of said information should be available on your school's website somewhere... as for IFC: around here at least IFC is a completely useless body that's full of whoever the individual houses didn't want in leadership positions for themselves.

that said, the only way that you can know if a house is right for you is to visit when you can. Numbers, and even disciplinary records wont tell you anything.

Sooo true about IFC. Worthless at my school!!!! My advice, find a fraternity that has a bunch of pre-meds and that will help you out a lot. They will probably have old tests for you and can help you out when you need help in your science classes.

well everyone's a premed... look for houses with people who got in ;)

We just need one more acceptance to go a perfect 4 for 4 this year... :D

My advice, find a fraternity that has a bunch of pre-meds and that will help you out a lot. They will probably have old tests for you and can help you out when you need help in your science classes.

I disagree...you'll know enough premeds from all of your classes....join a fraternity that will respect your academics while providing an opportunity for being social. Stepping out of the classroom and getting away from your premedical coursework is an important part of keeping well balanced. Just don't let any fraternity cut into your study time, class time, or sleep! Make sure you let the fraternity you join know about your career ambitions and they will (hopefully) respect you enough to keep school #1.

good luck!

I was in a frat in college and listed it on AMCAS as an EC as well. It resulted in some of the best times and most valuable experiences of my life and I was proud to talk about it in my application.

Being in a fraternity was a hugely educational experience for me. There's nothing like living and working with ~40 other guys 24/7 to teach an introvert about people and how to work with them. I learned many, many lessons about life. Fraternities are communes, BTW.

Of course being an officer in a fraternity would help a premed student stand out. Our treasurer was in charge of a $100,000 per year budget. (A big chunk was paying our chef.) That's a lot of responsibility for a college student.

several interviewers (including ones at northern schools like Harvard where I thought frats might be looked down upon) commented positively upon my membership. definitely put it down :thumbup:

nerds.gif

If you do decide to rush/join, it can be a tremendous life experience, let alone a great asset to your application, especially if you take on a leadership role, as others have said. I was on the cabinet for my fraternity for 2 years, and also headed most of our community service projects. I'm proud of this and definately put it down on my AMCAS. I was asked about it during every interview, and I definately think it helped me. Being in a fraternity shows you can be social and hold other responsibilities while still holdin it down, grade-wise, in college. (Just don't party too much, as I barely got a 2.7 my first year...)

It's also a great networking tool, and I was lucky to have a couple guys a year or two older than me who were pre-meds, who helped me with all my classes and MCAT stuff... and if, by some chance, godforbid you (not YOU specifically, OP, but many people change their minds in college and even after college) don't actually want to become a doctor after another year or two of school ::gasp, did he just say that?:: fraternity networking will definately help you get a job.

Phi Delta Theta here...

make sure you look at every fraternity, not just the one that has sluts saying "omg 0o0o0o0o rush this frat i LOVE these guys" and then you'll never see them again LOL

Isn't that the point, they 'love you' and you never see them again?

I'm a member of a fraternity. Definitely list it. Hopefully the group had some meaningful service activities/initiatives that you can talk about.