Anybody you know gotten in with a 3.2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ragda26 said:
hi

umdnj-njms likes people with high MCAT and will take you if your MCAT is good. so it can help you offset your GPA.

dood? english is not native to you eh?

Members don't see this ad.

planningMD said:
dood? english is not native to you eh?

okay, first you hijack three + threads by inserting your story into them, and now you make an insulting post. perhaps you should brush up on your netiquette.

hey guys, thanks for the input...here's my story.

My first year of college went ok...i got a 3.35 gpa and was doing ok...for my next three semesters, I took on math as a second major and got my ass kicked...my gpa at the end of my first semester junior year was a 2.55. I then dropped mathematics and for the next 2 semesters and 1 summer, I took my bio courses and went back and took a few of the classes I did poorly in earlier and I'm here was a perfect 4.0 for those latter semesters. Now I'm going into my last semester and it looks like I'll be finishing with a 3.15 or so.

Now I got a bunch of c's in my sophomore and the beginning of my junior year...how will I explain that, without basically saying that I took too much and I couldnt handle it all.

Ron Mexico said:
hey guys, thanks for the input...here's my story.

My first year of college went ok...i got a 3.35 gpa and was doing ok...for my next three semesters, I took on math as a second major and got my ass kicked...my gpa at the end of my first semester junior year was a 2.55. I then dropped mathematics and for the next 2 semesters and 1 summer, I took my bio courses and went back and took a few of the classes I did poorly in earlier and I'm here was a perfect 4.0 for those latter semesters. Now I'm going into my last semester and it looks like I'll be finishing with a 3.15 or so.

Now I got a bunch of c's in my sophomore and the beginning of my junior year...how will I explain that, without basically saying that I took too much and I couldnt handle it all.

Well, why not say that? That was my explanation at my one interview so far (and I got accepted!). I said, look, I really like challenges so I decided to hop into Orgo freshman year, not realizing that I didn't have a good enough basic science foundation to handle it. Then I got screwed, but I learned the lesson that as zealous as you might be about giving yourself academic challenges, it's important to be prepared first. Spin the bad grades into a lesson you learned about the delicate balance about academic challenge and academic preparedness and I think it sounds ok :) In your particular situation, it might even be good to put in a little bit about "finding yourself" or some such nonsense.... how you bopped around a bit not really knowing what your true passion was but then you decided to really focus on bio and look at your super GPA since that decision! Best of luck! If you're really worried (as I was) about applying with a low GPA, you can look into some one-year programs that are kind of designed to boost your GPA before applying to med school. I was applying to them at the same time as med school, but I dropped my apps when I got accepted. Georgetown's Special Master's Program is the oldest one of them, but BU and Dartmouth have good ones too. Always have a back-up plan. It's like bringing an umbrella to make sure it won't rain! :luck: :luck: :luck: