anyone a big brother/big sister?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango6110

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious..

Members don't see this ad.

Yup...did it for 3 years. My little bro's mom wrote one of my letters of rec.

im a junior, and ive been doing it since the beginning of my soph year, and hopefully until i graduate. its awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
did it impact your decision to enter medicine in any way

I'd pretty much already decided to go into medicine at that point, but Big Bros helped confirm it, definitely.

hey all..

i'm a Big Sister and I love it.. my little si 13 y/o and we have a lot of fun..if i get into my school of choice, i'll be able to continue the prgm thru medical school..

~LR

I'm a big sister. My Little and I are going to SuperSkate tonight. I haven't been rollerskating in for-EV-er. Should be a blast!

I'm a big brother, the first time I took my little brother out we went skateboarding and his mom told him not to hurt me. So what do I do, try to railslide a curb and flip straight onto the back of my head. I thought he was going to be scared to ever do anything with me again. It's a great thing to do, especially when you start working too much and forget how cool it is to just go hang out and play without worrying about everything going on.

I am a big sister--tonight the program is holding a picnic at a local amusement park. should be fun!

do any of you guys feel guilty for not having enough time to spend with your little? i'm so stinking busy that i barely have time to call her, not to mention actually spend time with her. i probably see her twice, at the very most, every month.

also, what activities do you guys do? i'm still pretty new to the program and so far all i know to do are things that cost money and she doesn't come form a very affluent family. also, i want activities where we're not always doing things but that we're actually talking. i suppose i feel as though if we're constantly in motion then it seems like we're almost to the point of avoiding talking and spending true quality time.

LJoo83 said:
do any of you guys feel guilty for not having enough time to spend with your little? i'm so stinking busy that i barely have time to call her, not to mention actually spend time with her. i probably see her twice, at the very most, every month.

that's exactly why i'm can't do the big brother thing :( .

i definitely think being a big brother has furthered my desire (hope that doesnt sound cliche) to be a doctor (actually im a md/phd hopeful). i go to a school where it seems like half the kids drive bmws, mercedes, and were gucci, etc. its a nice refresher when i go see me little bro every week for a few hours and see what those that are less fortunate than us experience day to day.when i see my bro, i am suddenly reintroduced to real life, hes from a single parent home, and his mom barely has time to see him while working her three jobs to keep her children fed. i highly reccommend the experience not just for med school, but if you REALLY want to make a difference in someone's life.

I HIGHLY recommend being a Big Brother/Big Sister IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.

My little brother has no stability in his life: his dad is a drunk and is no longer in the picture as he recently killed a family in a DWI auto accident; he hasn't seen his mom since he was 6mo old; and he lives with his grandparents who treat him like crap and make him feel guilty every day for living with them--"we didn't want you, but we had to take you."

My little brother failed 8th grade twice. We got his grades up and he just started high school after passing summer school this year.

He is a great kid and I wouldn't trade my time with him for anything. :D We have had so much fun together!

I have truly learned a lot throughout this experience. I started this activity because I know I would have given anything to have a BB when I was younger, and I wanted to be "that person" for someone else.

I have to say that if you are considering being a BB/BS please make sure this isn't another activity to pad your app. as it's not that type of activity.

drumming :D

hey i wrote an essay on being a big sister and how it has impacted my decision to enter mediicne.....would anyone have a minute to read it and let me know what they think?

I HIGHLY recommend being a Big Brother/Big Sister IF YOU HAVE THE TIME.

My little brother has no stability in his life: his dad is a drunk and is no longer in the picture as he recently killed a family in a DWI auto accident; he hasn't seen his mom since he was 6mo old; and he lives with his grandparents who treat him like crap and make him feel guilty every day for living with them--"we didn't want you, but we had to take you."

My little brother failed 8th grade twice. We got his grades up and he just started high school after passing summer school this year.

He is a great kid and I wouldn't trade my time with him for anything. :D We have had so much fun together!

I have truly learned a lot throughout this experience. I started this activity because I know I would have given anything to have a BB when I was younger, and I wanted to be "that person" for someone else.

I have to say that if you are considering being a BB/BS please make sure this isn't another activity to pad your app. as it's not that type of activity.

drumming :D

But ya haven't learned to keep your mouth shut. I'd love to be there for you in person ya know. Teach you how to back up the trouble you stir up talking trash about others.

This is my first year doing it. I really wish I started earlier. Hopefully I get into UVa because I'd be able to continue.

My little brother is a great kid. Talented in the classroom and in sports. It's painful to see the environment he is stuck in though. I hope he can keep his head on straight whether I am present or not.

But ya haven't learned to keep your mouth shut. I'd love to be there for you in person ya know. Teach you how to back up the trouble you stir up talking trash about others.
Is this a trolling attempt 4 years in the making?

I participated as a big brother for a year. I would of liked to continue the program, but they make it very clear that gays/lesbians were not welcome. So I decided to finish the year and bailed before they could ban me.