anyone accepted with MCAT below 20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any chance of a student getting accepted with an MCAT score around 20 with a decent GPA, good recommendations, extracurricular activities?

If anyone has been accepted, I'd like to know where and please give your exact score if you don't mind. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Jeebus! If you have a 20 just take the test again!

Personally speaking, I would NOT apply with a 20. It's just too embarassing. I think that I would wait until the next MCAT and take it again. I HAVE heard of URM's getting into state schools (specifically the TX schools) with 24's, but that's the lowest I've heard. I'm no expert...just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hun, don't even bother. With that MCAT score your best bet is a Carribean school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by medical22:
•Is there any chance of a student getting accepted with an MCAT score around 20 with a decent GPA, good recommendations, extracurricular activities?•••••Not in this country. Sorry, I'm not one who's big on giving false hope.

I definitely would take it again - no reason to waste all of that expense and effort :( I'm usually a big proponent of encouraging people with low MCATs to apply, but a 20 is just too low.

I've heard of someone with a 22 who got into UCSD. But she had connections.

Unless you have major connections, I agree with all of the above posters. Retake the MCAT. Maybe a prep course might help.

listen to these guys. you're wasting your time. that's not to say that it definitely can't happen. But unless you're a URM there's a 99.5% chance that it won't. If you are a URM, there's a 95% chance it won't. that's just too low kidd. you can do so much better. get it up to the high 20's range, and you *might* be OK if you apply to bottom of the barrel schools. i'm not BSing you here...ask your premed advisor about it. or just listen to the consensus here.

Someone with a 20 got into one of the UT schools. I don't know if they were a URM, had connections or what. However, the odds are not in your favor. You can definitely raise that. I suggest taking a prep course.

Sorry, not even in the Carribean.