Anyone apply to Puerto Rico???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m1k3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is not a lot of information about the Puerto Rican Dental School that I have been able to find but it is my understanding that they accept about 5 students from the US every year... Has anyone applied and if so have they heard back or interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is not a lot of information about the Puerto Rican Dental School that I have been able to find but it is my understanding that they accept about 5 students from the US every year... Has anyone applied and if so have they heard back or interviewed?
Puerto Rico is for vacation not a dental school education

Puerto Rico is for vacation not a dental school education
How ignorant!! what's better than studying by the beach :)
To op, there is not too many people applying to Puerto Rico schools because you obviously need to be fluent in spanish and even thought DAT scores are low for acceptance I think it will be very hard to validate your license to study in other states.. I THINK? I was looking into applying there but seems that they give preference to residents so probably i won't even bother applying..

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it will be very hard to validate your license to study in other states.. I THINK?

http://www.ada.org/267.aspx

Puerto Rico has the same accreditation as any school in the 50 states. No license issues, just need to take your regional board or residency that the state you want to practice in requires.

http://www.ada.org/267.aspx

Puerto Rico has the same accreditation as any school in the 50 states. No license issues, just need to take your regional board or residency that the state you want to practice in requires.
Do you think the classes are taught in spanish? is that reason why they require applicants to know spanish? I think validating license can be a problem if you learned everything in spanish and then you have to take boards in english. A lot of terminology used in dentistry vary in both languages! I don't know, was just an idea

I have heard some classes are taught in Spanish and others in English. I will definitely apply...
Cuba.gif

Last edited:
I have heard some classes are taught in Spanish and others in English. I will definitely apply...
Cuba.gif
If you do apply to Puerto Rico make sure you know what flag is theirs...the character you posted is holding a Cuban flag lol

Reactions: 5 users
two of the best dentists I've shadowed graduated from that school. Plus it has the cheapest tuition. However, one of the requirment is you have to speak spanish.

If you do apply to Puerto Rico make sure you know what flag is theirs...the character you posted is holding a Cuban flag lol

In purpose my friend, representing my country, Cuba! (I so knew this would happen!) :laugh: They designed their flag after ours.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think the classes are taught in spanish
12a2.jpg

I have no idea. But the website is in English.

"Instruction may be in English or Spanish, therefore, all students should be proficient in speaking, reading and writing both languages."

Last edited:
even if the classes are taught in english, the patients may not speak english. if you have to ask, you're probably not gonna have a good time

I worked as an intern for a GPR where they attending doctors joked that the Puerto Rico grad was better than the Penn grads.

It's a good school, but I think you must speak spanish natively without exception. I could be wrong, though. For that reason they take lots of Puerto Rican people and some Floridians.

I seriously considered this school when I was looking into dental schools last summer..I remember reading on their website that students must be fluent in both English and Spanish because classes will be taught in either language and more importantly you need to communicate with the patients (most of whom do not speak English).

I worked as an intern for a GPR where they attending doctors joked that the Puerto Rico grad was better than the Penn grads.

It's a good school, but I think you must speak spanish natively without exception. I could be wrong, though. For that reason they take lots of Puerto Rican people and some Floridians.
Not all Floridians speak Spanish either. I'm from Tallahassee and only know Spanish up to 2 semesters of college Spanish.

Edit: Just realized some resurrected this thread from February.

I got an i.v in puerto rico. Anyone else??
Hi how are you?
How was your interview for the Puerto Rico dental program?
I also got an interview with them. Do you have any suggestions on what to expect during the interview?

Bump. Is anyone attending to this dental school?