Anyone applying to Dental School LOOK AT THIS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quantumhead

Verrucas Vulgaris
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remembered something that tripped alot of appliclants up last year and the year before. AADSAS has a page that tells what each school requires to be sent in to them and when.

<a href="http://aadsas.adea.org/webapp/html/section_4_working.htm" target="_blank">http://aadsas.adea.org/webapp/html/section_4_working.htm</a>

Some people miss this stuff! And the school will NOT call you to let you know that your folder is incomplete.

EXAMPLE: The University of Michigan says

Send these materials to the dental school at the same time you send AADSAS materials:

Official transcript(s)
Official DAT scores
2" x 2" photograph

Send these materials to the dental school only when an admissions officer contacts you:

Application fee $50.00

Please check it out for all your schools so that you can avoid any problems!

Members don't see this ad.

THANKS SO much quantum!! That will save us a lot of time AND headaches! One question for you...I forgot, the whole AADSAS app is online, and comes out in May, right? Can I get a paper copy earlier than that to have stuff filled out so it'll be easier when the online app comes out?

Here is the Web address for the AADSAS calendar of events for 2001-2002. It should mirror the 2002-2003 year.
It says that the paper version is available earlier and it would be a good idea to do this, so you are prepared to file online. The online app is faster for them to process and it has built in required checks so you have less of a chance of messing anything up.

FYI The part most people have with the app and that takes the most time is the Personal Essay. Start now. I wrote mine about 30+ times until I found one that I was comfortable with. I would have had my app in about two weeks earlier but i wanted to get the essay right. Read all the books on what to say and how to say it, then try to write it that way a couple of times. Then throw those out and write an honest letter that describes you and your goals. My letter was very unconventional but the schools I interviewed at RAVED about it

<a href="http://www.adea.org/AADSAS/calendar.htm" target="_blank">http://www.adea.org/AADSAS/calendar.htm</a>

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump to the top, it seems like a lot of questions are rolling around again.

Great idea, quantumhead. Only one caution: don't follow the posted link -- rather view the current year supplemental materials information found in the AADSAS instructions. Some of the school addresses have changed since the previous application cycle, and more commonly, the school application fees have increased. Nothing bites more than sending the wrong amount of money to the wrong people.

-G

In my case, I found that the schools did contact you to inform you of any thing incomplete in your file. However, they mail you these notices (no phone calls, emails, etc), and they take forever. Thus schools may take forever to notify you that you're missing something, and this wasted time will hurt you with rolling admissions. Best thing to do is keep calling the schools and make sure you have all your stuff in, better, just make sure you check the aadsas checklists as quantum said. I certified all my mail, and called the schools just to ensure that everything was ok.

In my case, I found that the schools did contact you to inform you of any thing incomplete in your file. However, they mail you these notices (no phone calls, emails, etc), and they take forever. Thus schools may take forever to notify you that you're missing something, and this wasted time will hurt you with rolling admissions. Best thing to do is keep calling the schools and make sure you have all your stuff in, better, just make sure you check the aadsas checklists as quantum said. I certified all my mail, and called the schools just to ensure that everything was ok.

Just an FYI for those applying to UIC.

On the link provided in this post, it states that UIC's application deadline is Febrary 1st. However, if you check UIC's website, they state that applications are now due DECEMBER 1st.

Sorry about the old link, this was an old message. :confused: I never thought of that.