Anyone applying to more than one health professional school at a time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golem613

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is anybody that is applying to more than one health professional school at a time. Im planning on applying to allopathic, osteopathic, and podiatric schools next summer. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that schools do not look favorably at anyone who applied to more than one health professional schools. In fact, some schools state that you can't apply to different programs within the same school. They like to see that you're committed to the program. However, this is your life, not theirs. If you'd like to apply to different fields, I say go for it. Good luck!

Osteopathic schools ask what other DO and MD schools you apply to. I do not know of any schools that ask about podiatry schools. However if podiatry is a secondary choice or DO/MD school keep in mind that you may want to wait and see what kind of response you get from the DO/MD schools. You can apply to podiatry schools up until aug. of the year you want to start. Basically w/ podiatry school if you have the pre-reqs. you can get in, the MCAT ave is really low. By waiting till spring to apply to podiatry school you may save yourself some money if get accepted at your primary choice. I don't think it would hurt your chances of getting accepted at podiatry school if you waited until March or April to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
But how would they know whether I do or do not? That's interesting. I never knew that you could apply so late to podiatric schools. And i dont understand. Eventhough you have the same number of studetns applying to osteopathic school as to allopathic, but with less seats, its still cosidered less competitive?

Quite a few of my secondary apps. asked what other DO and MD schools I was applying to. It does seem a little crazy about podiatry school but thats the way it is. I don't think the # of applications are equal for DO vs. MD schools. There are only like 16 DO schools and there are over 100 MD schools in the US. The average stats for DO students are generally lower then MD schools. DO schools tend to look at more then just the academics of an applicant.

In fact, there are more applicants per seat to Osteopathic schools than to Allopathic(NEJM 4 NOV 99). The myth that osteo schools are less competitive is driven by the fact that the academic achievements of the osteopathic applicants are "numerically" lower than the average allopath's. For the average applicant osteopathic schools are very competitive; however, for the stellar applicant it is a forgone conclusion in most cases that they will be selected. This cannot be said for the allopathic "stellar" performer.