Anyone asked to re-take their DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aurora

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Did any school ask you to re-take your DAT? Do they really want you to re-take it? I really don't want to study for it again:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

If they ask you to re-take it that most likely means that they won't consider your application unless they see an improvment. So if they ask you to re-take it and you really want to go to the school, i would recoment doing what they say. If you don't care about the school and are confident you will get in other places, don't take it again. Did you apply this application cycle? If so i suggest doing what they say being so late in the cycle.

When the dental school recommends you to retake the DAT, then I think it is an important factor in you granting you an interview. A dental school may ask you to retake the DAT if they feel that you will be a competitive applicant if you raise a section of your DAT score up.

However, a recommedation from one school to retake your DAT may not neccessay mean you have bad DAT scores. Since, different dental schools have different criteria in evaluating applicants' stats, it is not surprise to see one school finding your DAT a little low while another finds it a reasonable score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to a few schools already. But during the interview at my first choice school they asked me to re-take my DAT. I don't really understand why they would invite me for an interview if they thought my DAT scores were so low.

I guess I better start studying again:(

Thanks everyone for the info. Has this happened to anyone else? Do schools ask a lot of applicants to re-take their DAT?

Originally posted by Aurora
I got accepted to a few schools already. But during the interview at my first choice school they asked me to re-take my DAT. I don't really understand why they would invite me for an interview if they thought my DAT scores were so low.

I guess I better start studying again:(

Are you serious about studying again?!? After being accepted to multiple schools you are going to retake the DAT again and hope to get into you top choice? If so, you likely won't be getting into this year's class at that school, considering it is this late in the game, most schools have their classes full.

It just sounds foolish to me. But if that is the school that you simple MUST go to, then you must do what you have to do.

Originally posted by SouthDakotaDDS
Are you serious about studying again?!? After being accepted to multiple schools you are going to retake the DAT again and hope to get into you top choice? If so, you likely won't be getting into this year's class at that school, considering it is this late in the game, most schools have their classes full.

It just sounds foolish to me. But if that is the school that you simple MUST go to, then you must do what you have to do.

I'm in a bad situation because I want to go to the state school because my boyfriend is here and also the tuition is so much cheaper here. I'm older than most of the students (26) so it's more important to me to stay near my boyfriend. I agree with you that it's a little late to be re-taking the DAT. But if I have any chance of getting in there...I will do it:confused:

The person that interviewed me suggested that I re-take the DAT. Does that mean my application won't be considered at all unless I do?

Just ask them what they mean, and if you will be granted an interview if you retake it. The schools are usually pretty straight forward if you just ask. BTW, Minnesota asked me to retake the DAT. I did, and ended up getting accepted.

Originally posted by dr_benj
Just ask them what they mean, and if you will be granted an interview if you retake it. The schools are usually pretty straight forward if you just ask. BTW, Minnesota asked me to retake the DAT. I did, and ended up getting accepted.

I already had an interview and it was during the interview that they asked me to re-take the DAT. It's so late in the admissions cycle...I wonder if it'll still make a difference. When did Minnesota ask you to re-take your DAT? During the interview or before the interview? BTW...would you mind telling me what your DAT scores were the first time?

Sorry about that....I didn't read your first post carefully enough. I would still suggest calling and asking how much of a difference it would make if you retake, would have you got to lose.

Minn asked me to retake before my interview. They called me and said if I improved my o-chem section I would be granted an interview. Here are my scores:

1st DAT
AA: 19
OChem: 13
G Chem: 20
Bio: 17
Reading: 25
Quant: 20
Tot Sci: 17
PAT: 22

2nd DAT
AA: 20
OChem: 17
GChem: 21
Bio: 20
Tot Sci: 20
Read: 24
Quant: 17
PAT: 20

Which school was it that asked you to retake the DAT? That may have some relavance.

Thanks so much Dr. Benj for the info!

UMaryland asked me to re-take the DAT. How long did you study for before retaking the DAT. I feel like I should retake it soon.

Congrats on your 2nd DAT scores!!! My first DAT scores were very similar to yours. My OChem score was so low compared to everything else!!!:(

Thanks again!!!

take the Canadian DAT...no orgo no quantative reasoning and it is replaced with soap carving...then again if it is bio or chem that was your weakness or PAT, DON'T TAKE THE CANADIAN DAT.

Because the bio, chem and PAT are harder in the Canadian one.

Aurora,

You must truly love your boyfriend because if I had acceptances in hand, I wouldn't retake the DAT for anyone :laugh: Seriously, though, your being asked to retake the DAT at the interview is not that uncommon. You must have had just one piece of the puzzle missing and I would look at that as a positive sign that they want you even if it is conditional. But I would call and explain my situation to the school first, before I'd go and blow hrs of my life studying for that test.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Calculus1
Aurora,

You must truly love your boyfriend because if I had acceptances in hand, I wouldn't retake the DAT for anyone :laugh: Seriously, though, your being asked to retake the DAT at the interview is not that uncommon. You must have had just one piece of the puzzle missing and I would look at that as a positive sign that they want you even if it is conditional. But I would call and explain my situation to the school first, before I'd go and blow hrs of my life studying for that test.

What do you mean..."explain the situation to the school"? I've already let them know that I have gotten accepted to other schools.

Thanks for the advice Calculus

Originally posted by Aurora
I'm older than most of the students (26) so it's more important to me to stay near my boyfriend.

not all true Aurora. you don't know how old i am:laugh:

seriously though, with multiple acceptances and the fact that its getting kinda really late in the cycle, i don't know how much retaking the DAT would even help you. thats really nice of you to think soooo much of your boyfriend. i am sure there are reasons for why he couldn't move with you wherever you go to dental school.

just out of curiosity, did you interview at IUSD and be part of the PBL tutorial session?

Originally posted by PERFECT3435

just out of curiosity, did you interview at IUSD and be part of the PBL tutorial session?

Hi,

No I didn't apply to IUSD. Why?

you just sounded like someone i met there when i interviewed there thats all.

I am in a similar situation Aurora, however, I (unlike you) have zero acceptances. This is a rough spot to be in (I complain to friends, parents, girlfriend, everybody who will listen...when I am not studying hard for the DAT). I, like you question whether or not the school I interviewed at (told me at interview also....why did they send me out there only to tell me to retake exam....I just dont get it) is very serious considering the timing of all of this (had interview March 19). Anyway, I am not taking this lightly and have studied (I am taking A/P 2 so that helps as well) a lot, but am almost set on reapplying and gaining entrance to the class of 2005. I also feel (with summer dedication to the DAT as well as early application date and other factors) that I have more chances next year to gain admission to more than just one school. For you I would suggest taking your #2 choice if this doesnt work out. I have a gf and would have to move 1000 miles away if I got in to this school that wants me to retake exam (not extremely far, but far enough) and I understand not wanting to leave your significant other. Anyway, in the end I would almost rather have 2 or more choices of schools (although not always possible) than just one school which is throwing me some sewing thread into the water (where I am drowning in the middle of the Pacific in the middle of Hurricane season). Not to say I am taking this DAT lightly, I am just trying to be as pessmistic (maybe realistic is a better term) as possible. Anyway, good luck, keep studying and if it doesnt work out, you have choices....remember its only 4 years of your life and then you have the remainder of that time after school together. Adios

-Dave

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Bullfan: Good luck on your second DAT. I think applying early is key. I applied late this time...which really messed things up. What did the school say to you? Are they not even going to consider your application unless you take the DAT? Because during my interview it was just kind of said randomly..."We think you should re-take the DAT." In a BTW sort of way. I was hoping that they would still consider my application even if I don't re-take the DAT. One of my friends was asked to re-take the DAT and then he got accepted before he got a chance to re-take it.

I was really surprised when they asked me to re-take the DAT at THE INTERVIEW. It seems like they should have said something to me before the interview. I felt like I was going to cry when they asked me to re-take it. I know that sounds bad...but it was my first interview and I was nervous enough!! Or maybe I just wanted to cry at the thought of having to study again for the DAT:(

I keep hoping I will get accepted before I re-take the DAT!

Originally posted by Bullfan16
I, like you question whether or not the school I interviewed at (told me at interview also....why did they send me out there only to tell me to retake exam....I just dont get it) is very serious considering the timing of all of this (had interview March 19).

Bullfan: Do you think they were not serious about you having to re-take the DAT?

Aurora, egad, woman. Get a hold of yourself. You seem like a smart enough person, but lack a little self confidence. I don't think you are foolish either for wanting to be close to your bf, maybe he is the one. The only people you should be consulting about this is you, your bf, and your interviewer. My 0.02.

Originally posted by preludexl
Aurora, egad, woman. Get a hold of yourself. You seem like a smart enough person, but lack a little self confidence. I don't think you are foolish either for wanting to be close to your bf, maybe he is the one. The only people you should be consulting about this is you, your bf, and your interviewer. My 0.02.

Well...I don't think it would be too wise for me to ask my interviewer if he was serious about me re-taking the DAT. That's why I was trying to find out if anyone else has been asked to re-take the DAT and their experiences. It's nice to get everyone elses opinion...after all that's what this website is for

Aurora, suit yourself. If the interviewer was joking, he would've said, knock knock, or, there were 3 guys sitting on a bar... However, it's your prerogative. Admissions invites you to interview because they like your application and think you might have a place in their school. An interviewer makes recommendations to you to help you get into their school. My interviewer's recommendation was, you should've applied early, oweing to the fact my application wasnt completed until a week after the deadline. But I'm sure he was just making small talk. Getting advice from peers is one thing, but misinterpreting an interviewer's advice is another. Everyone here, except for the interviewer, is second guessing on whether he/she meant: 1. retake and reapply for next year, 2. retake and they will reevaluate for this year. That's a BIG difference between the two. IMHO, it is foolish for any SDNer to make conjectures on someone else's future at this point. You are trying to base your sitch on someone else's sitch. If that's what you want to do, that's fine.

Originally posted by preludexl
Aurora, suit yourself. If the interviewer was joking, he would've said, knock knock, or, there were 3 guys sitting on a bar... However, it's your prerogative. Admissions invites you to interview because they like your application and think you might have a place in their school. An interviewer makes recommendations to you to help you get into their school. My interviewer's recommendation was, you should've applied early, oweing to the fact my application wasnt completed until a week after the deadline. But I'm sure he was just making small talk. Getting advice from peers is one thing, but misinterpreting an interviewer's advice is another. Everyone here, except for the interviewer, is second guessing on whether he/she meant: 1. retake and reapply for next year, 2. retake and they will reevaluate for this year. That's a BIG difference between the two. IMHO, it is foolish for any SDNer to make conjectures on someone else's future at this point. You are trying to base your sitch on someone else's sitch. If that's what you want to do, that's fine.

Ok...I just e-mailed my interviewer. I hope he writes me back. I called the admissions office too and they said it was too late for me to add anything to my file for this year. I get different stories from different people :confused: