anyone concerned about no PPE during a pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It would seem at WM, they issued an email saying "buy as many earloop masks because the profit margin is so high"... ok cool. Now i have no masks because the general public has millions stockpiled....(N-95 are all gone of course) awesome. I think these companies are going to have to realize this pandemic eventually. I'm not worried about getting sick, i'll probably make it. but the fact that they show no concern on protecting FRONT LINE "providers" (lmao) is messed up. they should be trying to get us easy access to the masks, a discount price, anything to show they care at least. Watch, they will push this as far as they can until their pharmacists start dropping like flies...they already over work us to the point its dangerous and making the papers.... so actions speak loudly huh? they really dont give a hoot about us....anyone getting PPE support from their companies out there?> WM = NO

laterz

Members don't see this ad.

It would seem at WM, they issued an email saying "buy as many earloop masks because the profit margin is so high"... ok cool. Now i have no masks because the general public has millions stockpiled....(N-95 are all gone of course) awesome. I think these companies are going to have to realize this pandemic eventually. I'm not worried about getting sick, i'll probably make it. but the fact that they show no concern on protecting FRONT LINE "providers" (lmao) is messed up. they should be trying to get us easy access to the masks, a discount price, anything to show they care at least. Watch, they will push this as far as they can until their pharmacists start dropping like flies...they already over work us to the point its dangerous and making the papers.... so actions speak loudly huh? they really dont give a hoot about us....anyone getting PPE support from their companies out there?> WM = NO

laterz
They don’t owe anyone a cheaper mask

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think Walmart would actually move to quarantine anyone like CVS did

The poors "need" to shop at Walmart to maximize their EBT

laterz

masks are in shortage. pharmacists are not. There are 10 new grads to replace each one of us who is sidelined by the infection. Told you the profession will regulate itself.

Reactions: 8 users
To clarify, not from a sales standpoint. If it’s an employee safety thing, they should provide them

yeah your right, exactly. but you know what my store is doing instead? they just placed a manual order for 60,000$ in masks and purell. They estimate to make 20,000 in profit off of it. even with the current state of things, they cant stop profit mongering. thats disgusting. The average citizen will now have 500 masks piled up in their basement, while the front line healthcare worker scrambles to get anything they can. I'm not afraid of getting sick, but i would like to show my team we can slow the spread through PPE and nightly disinfection procedure. So i went on AMAZON and ordered a few hundred regular earloop surgical masks for the team, tons of nitrile gloves, wipes and purell through our supplier....so we can at least try when it hits our community. I'll take the lead and get sick, captain goes down with the ship right?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think Walmart would actually move to quarantine anyone like CVS did

The poors "need" to shop at Walmart to maximize their EBT

What is CVS doing? anything to help the employees during this time?

masks are in shortage. pharmacists are not. There are 10 new grads to replace each one of us who is sidelined by the infection. Told you the profession will regulate itself.

we could all use a nice long LOA anyways......they wont replace us unless were dead. lol

yeah your right, exactly. but you know what my store is doing instead? they just placed a manual order for 60,000$ in masks and purell. They estimate to make 20,000 in profit off of it. even with the current state of things, they cant stop profit mongering. thats disgusting. The average citizen will now have 500 masks piled up in their basement, while the front line healthcare worker scrambles to get anything they can. I'm not afraid of getting sick, but i would like to show my team we can slow the spread through PPE and nightly disinfection procedure. So i went on AMAZON and ordered a few hundred regular earloop surgical masks for the team, tons of nitrile gloves, wipes and purell through our supplier....so we can at least try when it hits our community. I'll take the lead and get sick, captain goes down with the ship right?
What kind of premium did you pay for those?

N95 aren't available from McKesson (obv)

Disposable masks have diminished barrier effect once they're saturated with moisture from your breath.

We get a lot of geniuses who manage to get blood and probably fecal matter on their willy wonka Norco scripts from the ED.

What kind of premium did you pay for those?

N95 aren't available from McKesson (obv)

Disposable masks have diminished barrier effect once they're saturated with moisture from your breath.

We get a lot of geniuses who manage to get blood and probably fecal matter on their willy wonka Norco scripts from the ED.

i paid like 147.00 on amazon with shipping for 100 earloop masks. . the earloop masks are just for quick decontamination at night (not N95). We will wipe down all counters, handhelds, doorknobs,pin pads, keyboards, mice... you name it....once nightly...unless we need more.. that person should prob be gloved and at least a surgical mask...just a way to show the team i'm trying to look out for us... keep up morale during tough times. The company is ignoring the issue....still gonna penalize sick people as far as i can tell, and can you believe they placed a manual order for n95 masks (coming soon) and purell, gonna flip them for 80K and make 20K.... thats their plan during a pandemic...forget the worker....thats pure scum man....

What about water, is Walmart also trying to maximize on water profits? I could use some water stockpiling.

we could all use a nice long LOA anyways......they wont replace us unless were dead. lol
Sounds like the next corporate strategy to continue pushing out senior pharmacists who "make too much money."

Who are the most expensive pharmacists? Anyone with over 20 years tenure who could very easily be in that 60+ age group who is "most vulnerable" to the coronavirus. If metrics can't break them, then just let the disease take its course and legitimize sick time etc. as a result to lay people off. The new grads are healthy and in their 20s so they will be impervious to the disease even without facemasks and do just fine. Win-win for corporate once again...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I guess it is good I work in a hospital - we have to ration them, but I guess they know if we don't have front line people to work bc we are in quarantine it will kill the bottom line

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that none of these companies has come forward to their employees and said hey lets get you some gear, even as a gesture, is pathetic. We are at pandemic level, i understand we dont want panic. but this will be in our faces quite literally within a month or so depending on where you are...im in BFE... so you may be facing it already.....they simply dont care so far.

The fact that none of these companies has come forward to their employees and said hey lets get you some gear, even as a gesture, is pathetic. We are at pandemic level, i understand we dont want panic. but this will be in our faces quite literally within a month or so depending on where you are...im in BFE... so you may be facing it already.....they simply dont care so far.

Does Walmart supply sinks with soap to wash your hands? Hand sanitizer? Because that is the extent of the recommended precautions currently.

"For example, a facemask and eye protection should be worn during the care of any patient if splashes, sprays, or coughs could occur during the patient encounter. Similarly, gloves should be worn if contact with body fluids, mucous membranes, or nonintact skin are anticipated"

I found this on CDC for HCP. The most dangerous time I would see is with a patient that is infected with ANY respiratory illness is at counseling (within 6 feet). If a patient is symptomatic and you don't have a mask to give them or yourself, could the company be liable for knowing and treating a patient without following CDC and probably OSHA for not protecting and preventing risk to other people?

I don't mind being a fulcrum for sars 2.0 spread. If it hits it hits

Kinda defeatist though as they are zero precautions or any statements on the matter internally.

We had to go through PAPR training...goes into effect next week.

Does Walmart supply sinks with soap to wash your hands? Hand sanitizer? Because that is the extent of the recommended precautions currently.

This is an airborne viral illness. Masks should be worn by two groups of people first..... the sick, to prevent spread and front line healthcare workers possibly exposed to airborne particles while caring for the sick. it's well known....The hoarding of masks by the general public is bad.....whoever told you ONLY handwashing is important is dead wrong (its def both). I'm not panicking, i just want these companies to step up and show they give a hoot about their pharmacists.... which they clearly dont. the time has come to address this , its global, its a pandemic...our access to masks is limited....very limited. and the companies keep selling them to the public for profit. so yeah im upset about that....CDC advises masks for healthcare workers and advises general public to NOT hoard them.

"For example, a facemask and eye protection should be worn during the care of any patient if splashes, sprays, or coughs could occur during the patient encounter. Similarly, gloves should be worn if contact with body fluids, mucous membranes, or nonintact skin are anticipated"

I found this on CDC for HCP. The most dangerous time I would see is with a patient that is infected with ANY respiratory illness is at counseling (within 6 feet). If a patient is symptomatic and you don't have a mask to give them or yourself, could the company be liable for knowing and treating a patient without following CDC and probably OSHA for not protecting and preventing risk to other people?

Exactly VA , at least step up and show you care about your healthcare workers man..... looks terrible i think....allowing us to be exposed to an airborne virus during a pandemic? at least make an effort to show your protecting the healthcare worker, even if its lame...lol.

What @owlegrad said. What do you need face masks for?

ummmm... because this is an airborne virus and we are front line community workers facing community spread? fairly straightforward ......

Kinda defeatist though as they are zero precautions or any statements on the matter internally.

I know man, same here. i think most of us will deal with this virus at some point.... and probably be ok in the end.

I guess it is good I work in a hospital - we have to ration them, but I guess they know if we don't have front line people to work bc we are in quarantine it will kill the bottom line

aren't you working in the ER or ICU? what protections do they have there for the workers?

ummmm... because this is an airborne virus and we are front line community workers facing community spread? fairly straightforward ......

It's a bit of a stretch to call WM pharmacists "front line" community workers. Those actively screening people of interest for COVID-19 or actively treating people with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 are the front line folks that need respirators / N95 masks.

aren't you working in the ER or ICU? what protections do they have there for the workers?
Both - we have the usual PPE for anyone that is a suspected case. People (so far) have made smart decisions and called the health department, then we arrange the entire process - pt goes to decon room, and the workers have proper gear and the pt gets placed in a negative pressure room until they are ruled out

I mean are you at any greater risk than the cashiers in the front of the store who are breathing the same air as you? If you think they should be in masks you clearly think everyone should be, which is not the current recommendation.

Even my doctor’s office isn’t using them (I was there yesterday for a routine visit). You might be able to make a case for their use if you suspect a patient is infected and they are not wearing a mask.

I mean are you at any greater risk than the cashiers in the front of the store who are breathing the same air as you? If you think they should be in masks you clearly think everyone should be, which is not the current recommendation.

Even my doctor’s office isn’t using them (I was there yesterday for a routine visit). You might be able to make a case for their use if you suspect a patient is infected and they are not wearing a mask.

I think that because i am within 6 ft of patients and serving the community from a medical perspective, i should follow cdc guidelines. They say masks are good for providers ...... pretty simple

I think that because i am within 6 ft of patients and serving the community from a medical perspective, i should follow cdc guidelines. They say masks are good for providers ...... pretty simple

I thought I read on WIRE it is pharmacist discretion to roll gates and go 100% drive thru/tubes....#dreaming

I also think you should follow CDC guidelines. Maybe you don’t know this but pharmacists never got provider status. :p

I also think you should follow CDC guidelines. Maybe you don’t know this but pharmacists never got provider status. :p
very funny.... were frontline . i dont even want a mask, i want the company to act like they care!!!!!

Guess we're supposed to sanitize the pharmacy every day? It would be more efficient to nuke the whole 5 block radius around the store

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Some states do recognize pharmacists as providers to do tests such as flu and strep.

If they are cancelling basketball games then I want a damn mask when I am face to face with someone who is positive.

Guess we're supposed to sanitize the pharmacy every day? It would be more efficient to nuke the whole 5 block radius around the store

Man would you be doing me a favor.

Some states do recognize pharmacists as providers to do tests such as flu and strep.

If they are cancelling basketball games then I want a damn mask when I am face to face with someone who is positive.

Thank you Va, all im saying is look, if you dont want a mask, cool, if you do, cool. Chances are, we will all pick this up and most will be fine. I'm after you know who to step up and show some appreciation that i'm even still running their disgusting covid-19 hole of a pharmacy!! lol. Gimme masks for my team ya know? or ill tell ya what. dont wanna give em up? STOP SELLING TO THE PUBLIC FOR PROFIT!!! they are hoarding them !!! yet WM continues to place manual orders and sell 3M N95 masks , as soon as they come in some fool buys 100 of them and WM places no limit on it!! thanks WM for caring more about money during a global pandemic, than the well being of your healthcare staff. What happened to all these companies slogans huh? "corner of healthy and happy (or whatever Wags is) (save money, live better) WM wellness day (we care about the community).... I dunno what CVS slogan is, but now is the time to shine and it's not happening....I think its embarrassing as heck. These companies care until it COSTS them money to care.

Yeah if pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens can get pharmacists to risk their lives to test patients in pharmacies then pharmacists will be front line. I could see them pushing their customers to "Get Tested!" and make pharmacists do it with no PPE at all. When one pharmacist drops, a new grad will cheerfully be in line to take their place. I agree also that this will enable the chains to further cull older pharmacists from their staff if they offer them no protection from the virulent mouth breathers who make up their patient base. Hell, when I worked retail half of the healthy patients slobbered all over the counter and that was without a pandemic going on.

I thought I read on WIRE it is pharmacist discretion to roll gates and go 100% drive thru/tubes....#dreaming

OMG we were all joking about developing a chute through the gates and lining them with N95..... they slip the Rx through and we tube it out somehow....lol... the stuff we think of...

Does Walmart still have greeters? They would be the most exposed employee in the entire store.

Yeah if pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens can get pharmacists to risk their lives to test patients in pharmacies then pharmacists will be front line. I could see them pushing their customers to "Get Tested!" and make pharmacists do it with no PPE at all. When one pharmacist drops, a new grad will cheerfully be in line to take their place. I agree also that this will enable the chains to further cull older pharmacists from their staff if they offer them no protection from the virulent mouth breathers who make up their patient base. Hell, when I worked retail half of the healthy patients slobbered all over the counter and that was without a pandemic going on.
Usually the big chains make you work when you are sick. What are they doing this time? Talk a good game and apply the lash?

Yeah I'm curious too. When I worked retail I ALWAYS worked sick. If you called off you immediately had a target on your back that lasted as long as you worked there. DMs wouldn't approve vacation requests, etc just to be a**holes if you were one of "those" people. And this wasn't CVS or Walgreens- it was one of the grocery chains that are "supposedly" better to work for (yeah right!). There was actually a guy having a heart attack at one of our stores and management wouldn't let him go to the hospital till relief arrived. I kid you not. Can't believe they weren't sued for that.

Walmart has receipt checkers

Yeah I'm curious too. When I worked retail I ALWAYS worked sick. If you called off you immediately had a target on your back that lasted as long as you worked there. DMs wouldn't approve vacation requests, etc just to be a**holes if you were one of "those" people. And this wasn't CVS or Walgreens- it was one of the grocery chains that are "supposedly" better to work for (yeah right!). There was actually a guy having a heart attack at one of our stores and management wouldn't let him go to the hospital till relief arrived. I kid you not. Can't believe they weren't sued for that.

Why didn't he just close the gate...

How about the mandatory counseling on refills? Getting face to face with somebody to talk to them about their hundredth fill of levothyroxine that they wouldn't want to talk to you about even if you weren't a potential super spreader? Especially if you're in one of the majority of Walmart pharmacies that doesn't have a drive thru and therefore can't go drive thru only.

I think maybe OBRA 90 can take a break for now.

They should require store management to be the only ones risking direct patient contact. They were "supposed" to be the only ones who could deal with the surprisingly frequent bodily fluid spills in the store (vomit/feces) despite the fact that they always coerced grocery baggers to clean it up. Can't tell you how many times I saw the mentally challenged kid who wrangled grocery carts cleaning up vomit. Time to step up to the plate, store management!

How about the mandatory counseling on refills? Getting face to face with somebody to talk to them about their hundredth fill of levothyroxine that they wouldn't want to talk to you about even if you weren't a potential super spreader? Especially if you're in one of the majority of Walmart pharmacies that doesn't have a drive thru and therefore can't go drive thru only.

I think maybe OBRA 90 can take a break for now.

I'm only offering every patient counseling, yes or no, then i will staple the bag and off they go....

I got the idea from some walgreens in Florida who put up plastic sheeting across the inner windows ya know? with about 4-6" room to slide everything underneath. I asked my DM, who kicked it to regional , she said no. said "keep watching the wire for updates"......Who are they to gamble with our lives? or lives of others? I want a barrier in place. period. WM and every other company does not give a hoot about us man.....its an awesome idea.

Regarding face mask use for the general public, this is a newly published (and interesting) take from The Lancet:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30134-X/fulltext

Not an advocate for hoarding, but the sick also includes asymptomatic infected. The asymptomatic infected usually (or almost always) won't know that they're sick enough to wear a mask. Which means most of the general public can be considered possibly asymptomatic sick if you've been out and about within the last 14 days.

Last edited:
My DM told us that he was able to get materials to make facemasks including a "viral/allergen" filter which last up to 3 months before needing to be changed. Anyone know anything about homemade masks? I have to say I'm not convinced that they'll be effective.

Sent from my HD1925 using SDN mobile

I got the idea from some walgreens in Florida who put up plastic sheeting across the inner windows ya know? with about 4-6" room to slide everything underneath. I asked my DM, who kicked it to regional , she said no. said "keep watching the wire for updates"......Who are they to gamble with our lives? or lives of others? I want a barrier in place. period. WM and every other company does not give a hoot about us man.....its an awesome idea.
Why even ask permission? They probably won't notice what you do, and if they do, so what? Weren't you about ready to quit anyway?

Why even ask permission? They probably won't notice what you do, and if they do, so what? Weren't you about ready to quit anyway?

I feel the same way. There is no way that pharmacist who put up that plastic screen had permission. Sometimes you just have to do what you think is right.

I see a lot of pharmacists on Facebook complaining that the pharmacy should be drive thru only. If Restaurants are drive thru or carry out only it makes sense. So why not just do it then? Why wait for a corporate directive to do what’s right?