Anyone definitely going to Pritzker next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to who is going there next year. I'm trying to decide between there and WashU. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

wow i can see why you are having a hard time deciding...

congratulations...

you have the envious position of picking either a bmw or a benz haha.

both are awesome so sorry i cant help you out here....but its obviously a position we would all want to be in.. ;)

not that I have much to say in this, aka Im not applying yet to Pritzker but I do go to the U of C and know a lot of students there.

First off, I've been to St. Louis. Beautiful archways. amazing people.. but nothing compared to Chicago. U of C, hands down has one of the nicest hospitals, research/clinical wise, in Chicago. It's a huge sprawling complex that's almost as large as the campus of U of C itself.

I'll give you a list of why I think I would chose Pritzker if I was fortunate to be in your situation and cons of why I wouldn't:

Pro:

1. Pass/Fail (Does Wash U have P/F too for four years?)
2. Staff,adminstrators, pritzker people are so dammn friendly, it's infectious. Students are groomed to work together. Nicest med students around.
3. Hospital... location is paramount.. What kind of cases do you want to see or treat? Because we are in the southside of chicago, ala the only large hospital south of downtown.. we tend to get a plethora of different cases. Gunshot wounds, whiny premeds, cancer cases, etc. ER is expanding, adding more beds.... new children hospital is almost built.
4. City life is just amazing. I've been here for 3 + years and grown to love the area in the summer, spring, fall, and even winter. There's just so much to do here. Go Cubs.
5. Amazing professors, so many research opps. I'm not kidding. It's like a playground for someone who is seriously interested in MRI research, cancer bio, molecular.. etc.
6. New Gymn, new research building, I wish I was going to be here 4 years longer. darn!

Cons:

1. I would say the location. like it could be a plus but also a big con. I walk alone at night in Hyde Park, but I'm a big boy. Plus, I also check my back every so often. You know how Northwestern, recently, big uproar over 8 muggings and beatings in a couple weeks? Here, that is like our Crime Blotter every week. Crime is bad but not bad enough that you can't walk down the streets in the daytime. If you're not used to being stopped on the street, almost every other corner for change or food, then look to see if you would be used to living here. it's definitely a city neighborhood. Like a city, there are good parts of Hyde Park and definite bad parts, really bad.

2. Too many damn parks. We're called Hyde Park for a reason, I used to work for CPD Chicago Park District, there are a total of 21 parks in a city of like 60,000 people. it's ludcrious. Anyways. just my pet peeve cuz parks tend to attract drunk, homeless men.

3. Parking is terrible. I think I like every other student tend to circle the area for parking every day sometimes when I'm driving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea cubs!

-Ice

P.S. But I would choose WashU over pritzker because I've lived near chi-town all of my life...so I guess a personal preference...:)

Wash U is right up there with Hopkins and Harvard. U of C is good too, but I don't think it's top 10. Obviously location, cost, and other factors come into account, but Wash U is much more selective than U of C, and for that reason is ranked much higher.