Anyone done a CAP inspection during covid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WEBB PINKERTON

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Experiences doing inspections during covid?

Any way to do the whole thing virtually?

We have one that a 3 hour drive away that we were supposed to do earlier this year.

Members don't see this ad.

We just had ours last month. They came from 1.5 hour away from us to inspect us.
AZ was a hot spot in July. Labor day COVID cases were way down again.

Experiences doing inspections during covid?

Any way to do the whole thing virtually?

We have one that a 3 hour drive away that we were supposed to do earlier this year.
We were inspected almost 2 weeks ago. Similar to @AZpath our inspectors came from 2 hours away. Our medical director is having us inspect a lab at the end of October, which is way too soon since we have to fix whatever deficiencies and prepare for this inspection. I won't be attending because I'm on military orders until December, although I was looking forward to the opportunity. Our manager was hoping to do it January since I'll be back from my assignment and can be part of the inspection team.

Either CAP and/or our inspection team wanted access to our procedures 2 weeks out before the inspection. We thought it was an odd request and the higher ups refused to grant them access. Our inspection team focused heavily on quality management. I was expecting them to focus on POCT with what happened to Abbott earlier this year and how we handled Covid. Inspecting phlebotomy was off limits for obvious reasons, so I assume that will not be part of your inspection checklist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like how hospital inspectors show up but California schools cant even get any of the 306,000 (!!!) public school teachers to put on actual pants and show up to work for even 5 hours a week....

We were inspected almost 2 weeks ago. Similar to @AZpath our inspectors came from 2 hours away. Our medical director is having us inspect a lab at the end of October, which is way too soon since we have to fix whatever deficiencies and prepare for this inspection. I won't be attending because I'm on military orders until December, although I was looking forward to the opportunity. Our manager was hoping to do it January since I'll be back from my assignment and can be part of the inspection team.

Either CAP and/or our inspection team wanted access to our procedures 2 weeks out before the inspection. We thought it was an odd request and the higher ups refused to grant them access. Our inspection team focused heavily on quality management. I was expecting them to focus on POCT with what happened to Abbott earlier this year and how we handled Covid. Inspecting phlebotomy was off limits for obvious reasons, so I assume that will not be part of your inspection checklist.

My plan is to get remote access to their documents 2 weeks before the inspection (as CAP has recommended) and then send a skeleton crew to the place to look over the facility.

I'm doing one in 3 weeks and not looking forward to it. I have to fly to get there.

Being rural stinks for CAP inspections. I have to put a bunch of team members in the bed of my truck and drive 4 or 5 hours sometimes.

My plan is to get remote access to their documents 2 weeks before the inspection (as CAP has recommended) and then send a skeleton crew to the place to look over the facility.
Hopefully it's not a lab with leadership like ours that refuses. I understand why they didn't want to grant the inspectors access to our procedures since they're on MediaLab, but it wasn't my call. I honestly could careless if they did have access to my procedures. My sections were inspection ready before I left for my assignment.
Being rural stinks for CAP inspections. I have to put a bunch of team members in the bed of my truck and drive 4 or 5 hours sometimes.
This sounds absolutely horrible. I'm surprised your facility won't allow a rental car, but I guess things are different since you/your team works in a rural setting.

At first the lab refused to grant us access to online procedures but they have now decided to allow us. CAP wants labs to do it that way and I agree. The lab is in a dangerous area as well. I want this short and sweet when the skeleton crew goes down.

You can get rental cars but those women like riding in the bed of my truck. Will have my Trump flag flying along with them. Got some Ronnie Milsap and Waylon Jennings for my 5 CD changer. I gotta remember to wash out the deer blood this weekend.

That’s not ALL bad if you are allowed to hunt from a moving truck. Don’t know the law down there. And, heck, nobody
really minds if you bust up some hogs— nasty, mean, destructive and invasive. I like the .454 Cassull in my lever gun for those devils.

At first the lab refused to grant us access to online procedures but they have now decided to allow us. CAP wants labs to do it that way and I agree. The lab is in a dangerous area as well. I want this short and sweet when the skeleton crew goes down.

You can get rental cars but those women like riding in the bed of my truck. Will have my Trump flag flying along with them. Got some Ronnie Milsap and Waylon Jennings for my 5 CD changer. I gotta remember to wash out the deer blood this weekend.
Are you hiring? MLT w/6 years of experience, technical supervisor over heme/coag/ua for a little over a year now, generalist, experience in labs/hospitals of all shapes and sizes, military :laugh: :laugh:. To be honest, I've always wanted the experience of working in a rural setting, but most tech jobs are in the cities. I've found a lot of manager/admin director jobs in rural areas, but I think I'm still a little underqualified for that. Your lab sounds like a great work environment as opposed to the grand majority of lab jobs

Are you hiring? MLT w/6 years of experience, technical supervisor over heme/coag/ua for a little over a year now, generalist, experience in labs/hospitals of all shapes and sizes, military :laugh: :laugh:. To be honest, I've always wanted the experience of working in a rural setting, but most tech jobs are in the cities. I've found a lot of manager/admin director jobs in rural areas, but I think I'm still a little underqualified for that. Your lab sounds like a great work environment as opposed to the grand majority of lab jobs

The lab is an interesting blend of rural folks and Filipinos. This is VERY rural. No cellphone service in many areas. No Joe Biden signs either. Will tell ya if they hiring anytime soon.

I had one scheduled to go on earlier this year, but I noped out of it. I don't plan on going again until I have the vaccine.

I guess I should get the Russian vaccine before I go and of course start hydroxychloroquine.