Anyone else coming into this field from previous birth work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doula-2-OB

Going in from the outside
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been a doula for three years, in the trainign process of midwifery assistant, and teaching childbirth classes. This is the driving force behind my pushing toward med school & OB/GYN.

Anyone else here already established a lot of their values about birth/women's health before entering the field, or did most find their way via rotations?

I have a feeling I'm going to have a rough time of it considering my background and values, just because it'll be somewhat at odds with what I am looking forward to learning.
 
I came into medical school thinking Ob/Gyn would be the last thing I would do....I was wrong, it was a perfect fit. I learned a lot of things from the clinical rotations in Ob, and I am sure you will as well.

I don't think that your background is "at odds" with what you hope to learn, and I am sure that your added insight and different perspective will be helpful to you, your classmates and your colleagues. However, I am also confident that many of your views may change as you go through the medical school process.

Keep us informed about your progress, and best of luck with your endeavor.
 
I was an RN in L&D/Women's surgery prior to med school. It was a big factor in going back as well, but I really tried hard to keep my mind open about other specialties through this long process. Of course, it ended up being what I love - no surprise. But I would encourage you to consider each field carefully, don't just assume that because you love helping women and birthing babies that you won't also love something else. Good luck to you. It's a difficult decision to change careers, but it's definately worth it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
good for you!!! We need more OBs that have that background. I think all OB's should be REQUIRED to be a doula for at least a year!
 
I discovered my interest for ob/gyn while I was in medical school. I also think that your experience will add to your clerkship rotation. Have you thought about family medicine? You wont do as much gyn, surgeries, or high riisk care but you can do OB and you can also care for the newborn. I think midwives do some newborn care😕

I'm actually working in the opposite direction. I've been looking into taking some midwivery classes to round out my OB experience and knowledge. An ob/gyn attending actually recommended that I read about Ina Gaskin and work at The Farm if I get a chance to. Something I am interested in is learning more about different labor and birthing positions.


Lys
 
when I was in a hospital career explorer program in high school one of the OB's also suggested midwifery to me- he meant on my path to obstetrics, but it actually got me off the path as I went to midwifery school then decided to go for psychology as I saw how much was missing emotionally and psychologically. If you integrate it well, midwifery and obstetrics can be a beautiful dance. Think about Dr. Leboyer and Dr Wagner and Dr Dick-Read.....
 
oh and yes, newborn care is taught in midwifery school- at least the ones I went to- early cord care, pku, jaundice signs, breastfeeding, etc.😳
 
By the time I get my medical degree I'll have been a doula for 11 years. I was one of the youngest doulas in the world when I got my certification and even though I've always known I'd go to medical school and become an OB, being a doula has been an awesome way to see another perspective of birth that most MDs don't have a chance to.
 
I was a doula prior to entering medical school. I only did it for a year though, so I'm sure my experience was much more limited than yours. There have been plenty of times where I felt like my views/experiences as a doula were at odd with what I saw as a student, but I also did my 3rd year rotations at a hospital where the OBs tended to be more assertive with medical intervention. I considered going into FM too, but I chose OB-GYN for a number of reasons. I'm now an OB-GYN intern at a program where CNMs are responsible for supervising interns during their low-risk L&D rotations. Most people thought it was kind of silly, but joining a training program where midwives are involved in resident education was really important to me. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.
 
Me... My concern with becoming an OB/GYN is feeling like finding like-minded partners might be nigh unto impossible.
 
Last edited: