Anyone else considering a DDS/Phd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

znny19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody here in a dual degree program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
znny19,

Not many people go to dental school to become Academic leaders. I can't name one in my class that just "loved" research that much. I know people who did research- but thats different. My peers in dental school, who did research did it for non-altruistic reasons.

That being said, there is a small minority of professional students who meet every year in DC to discuss the DMD/PhD tract. If you are interested, once you get into dental school, join that community. The conference was eye opening and was a great way to build contacts within the research field. For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the conference... but google IADR and that should give you a good push in the right direction.

I was for a time. then decided that I could do research without a phd and could only find the added advantage of a phd to be the free tuition so long as 4 additional years are devoted solely to dental or basic science research.
I think its a financially astute decision if you don't want to serve the military to pay off your tuition. But if you don't have the slightest interest in discovering new things (however impactful), those four years will be like being frozen in carbonite.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the odd man out. znny, I hope you got my message. I've been busy with school/research that I wasn't able to answer until recently!

For many people, research, pursuing a DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD is not a priority. We're like the black sheep of the dental herd essentially! Just remember, your class cohort is unbelievably small. 1 to 3 people! My program at UM is 3, I think UCSF has 4 this year, and etc. It's not very big. However, this doesn't mean you won't make friends with the incoming class of that year. I've made many friends in my dental class this summer and the type of research I do is very exciting. Depending on what you want out of life, this may very well be a great decision. However, there is one person in my class that is reconsidering the DDS/PhD and she may be dropping out. So, this isn't a path for everyone.

At UM, we start PhD first. Most programs start DDS first.

I guess I'm the odd man out. znny, I hope you got my message. I've been busy with school/research that I wasn't able to answer until recently!

For many people, research, pursuing a DDS/PhD or DMD/PhD is not a priority. We're like the black sheep of the dental herd essentially! Just remember, your class cohort is unbelievably small. 1 to 3 people! My program at UM is 3, I think UCSF has 4 this year, and etc. It's not very big. However, this doesn't mean you won't make friends with the incoming class of that year. I've made many friends in my dental class this summer and the type of research I do is very exciting. Depending on what you want out of life, this may very well be a great decision. However, there is one person in my class that is reconsidering the DDS/PhD and she may be dropping out. So, this isn't a path for everyone.

At UM, we start PhD first. Most programs start DDS first.

What are you researching by the way?

My first lab rotation is on dental stem cells, my second rotation is on hematopoietic stem cells, and my last rotation is working with bone marrow stem cells. I'm really into tissue engineering and UM has lots of great labs inside and outside of the dental school to work with :thumbup:

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone thought this thread was buried...

My first lab rotation is on dental stem cells, my second rotation is on hematopoietic stem cells, and my last rotation is working with bone marrow stem cells. I'm really into tissue engineering and UM has lots of great labs inside and outside of the dental school to work with :thumbup:

I am super jealous that sounds awesome. I would be happy to work in anything relating to cell biology or cell signaling.

I'm drooling over this.....