Anyone else experiencing MCAT induced insomnia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok with a little bit over a week until my test *AAAAAAHHH* i have developed insomnia. So i close my eyes and lay down and get all of these random facts running through my head. Nucleophiles, electrophiles, hormones, determining acidity, basicity, electromagnetism, running through my head. This goes on for a good two hours. I wish i was kidding. Anyone else experience this?

Members don't see this ad.

i had a little bit of that- dreaming about formulas and chemistry especially and having a hard time winding down at night. i remember one night i dreamed about the formation of grignard reagents ALL night. it wasn't very restful sleep.

i'm not one who usually suggests drugging, but i actually started taking benadryl at night to help me sleep. not a lot, but it helped me. and listening to a book on tape (i'm a dork, so i downloaded Eclipse, but i don't think it matters).

maybe experiment one or two nights to see if taking advil PM or benadryl will help you relax and get a good night of sleep.

one night without sleep won't hurt you, but several days without sleep will really mess you up.

i slept so well the nights leading up to the mcat (using benadryl and book on tape) that the night before the mcat i didn't even worry that much, i knew i had several good nights behind me and even if i got 3 hours of sleep, i'd be OK. as it turned out, i probably got around 6 hours and felt fine.

I've always had a problem falling sleep. If I were you, I'd stay away from drugs- your insomnia is stress induced meaning there really isn't a physiological cause for it.

Funny. I was going to post the same thing only I keep on getting weird dreams like being held captive in a facility to be brainwashed or something equally weird and unrelated to MCAT. I can't wake up in the mornings because I get so groggy. I have 11 days left and if I should stay away from drugs is there any other alternative?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what many people fail to realize is that the 'groggy' feeling we experience in the morning after struggling for many hours to fall asleep is largely a state brought about by our mental frame of thought. I know there will be people here who don't agree, and that's fine, but I've tried to reason the way I feel - and I've noticed that on nights when I struggle to fall alseep, I often end up lying there in frustration, trying to find something to blame, feeling disappointed about not being able to sleep, thinking something is wrong, etc. This feeling often carries over into the morning - our society has internalized the notion that anything short of 6-8 hours will make us tired, so we often subconsciously cause ourselves to feel groggy. If you don't buy this reasoning, this is the same principle of people who think positively having happier lives, more energy, etc.

I guess what I'm recommending is to just accept a couple of nights of struggling to sleep as just the normal ebb and flow of the body. We aren't machines that have strict requirements - our bodies fail from time to time, but more often than not, we wake up in the morning, and still go on with our day.

If you can realize that - and simply just relax in bed, not feeling frustrated by the notion that you will be tired the following morning, I think you'll actually fall asleep sooner, while taking a very natural route in dealing with this issue.

I know a lot of people are going to burn my suggestion for being too philosophical, but I believe this shift for people turning to drugs for every ailment and issue represents an attempt at an unattainable perfection, and an insecurity with the normal flaws of the human body.

I remember my brother telling me to just stop thinking because it is the thinking that is keeping me from sleeping but I can't just stop(unless I'm under the influence of substance anyways), my brain can't/won't shut up. Personally I have to get into a certain mental state before I can go to sleep, one in which my thoughts are focused and stimulating enough to stay inside said state without going overactive and waking me up. It sounds pretty weird put that way but basically I've come to rely on a fantasy universe I have built in my head, to go to sleep I visualize parts of it going onto the fine details and mechanisms of functionality(say I think of a tank, I then think of it's weapons systems, what they are, how they work, what are they effective against, etc.). The little details go on and on and they are engaging yet not exciting which lulls me into sleep. I don't know how this would work for other people but it has helped me a lot(especially when there is something on my mind, like the MCAT, that would keep me awake well into the night).

Otherwise, though I wouldn't go for drugs, have you thought about supplementing melatonin? If you've been studying your hormones you should know it's what the Pineal gland secrets and is thought to help create a circadian rhythm.

Ok with a little bit over a week until my test *AAAAAAHHH* i have developed insomnia. So i close my eyes and lay down and get all of these random facts running through my head. Nucleophiles, electrophiles, hormones, determining acidity, basicity, electromagnetism, running through my head. This goes on for a good two hours. I wish i was kidding. Anyone else experience this?

Hmm, I couldn't sleep well for about 4-5 days after my test. That got better by the end of the first week. That naseous feeling...yeah, that didn't go away for three weeks. My MCAT was well over a month ago, but that test continues to haunt me. I need to get off the MCAT forum...

had 6 hrs at best, probably closer to 4 or 5, the night before my test. terrible...

I think what many people fail to realize is that the 'groggy' feeling we experience in the morning after struggling for many hours to fall asleep is largely a state brought about by our mental frame of thought. I know there will be people here who don't agree, and that's fine, but I've tried to reason the way I feel - and I've noticed that on nights when I struggle to fall alseep, I often end up lying there in frustration, trying to find something to blame, feeling disappointed about not being able to sleep, thinking something is wrong, etc. This feeling often carries over into the morning - our society has internalized the notion that anything short of 6-8 hours will make us tired, so we often subconsciously cause ourselves to feel groggy. If you don't buy this reasoning, this is the same principle of people who think positively having happier lives, more energy, etc.

I guess what I'm recommending is to just accept a couple of nights of struggling to sleep as just the normal ebb and flow of the body. We aren't machines that have strict requirements - our bodies fail from time to time, but more often than not, we wake up in the morning, and still go on with our day.

If you can realize that - and simply just relax in bed, not feeling frustrated by the notion that you will be tired the following morning, I think you'll actually fall asleep sooner, while taking a very natural route in dealing with this issue.

I know a lot of people are going to burn my suggestion for being too philosophical, but I believe this shift for people turning to drugs for every ailment and issue represents an attempt at an unattainable perfection, and an insecurity with the normal flaws of the human body.

Wow...that was an amazing way to put it. I went to sleep last night thinking: "okay formulas and weird psychotic dreams come and get me!" and I had an easier time sleeping. Of course, the dreams continued but I felt so much better waking up. I just basically let the alarm snooze once and then just basically forced myself to wake up and took a shower and I feel a LOT better the rest of the day. Thanks for your advice!

Wow...that was an amazing way to put it. I went to sleep last night thinking: "okay formulas and weird psychotic dreams come and get me!" and I had an easier time sleeping. Of course, the dreams continued but I felt so much better waking up. I just basically let the alarm snooze once and then just basically forced myself to wake up and took a shower and I feel a LOT better the rest of the day. Thanks for your advice!

Hey, I'm glad that had such a positive effect on you. I'll admit, I have to constantly remind myself of my own advice, especially these days :D

I know I don't have any physiological sleep problems since I sleep like a baby when there's no stress. I think it's simply a matter of training our minds to stay relaxed. Good luck!

Last edited:
I had it the night before the test; took me a real long time to fall asleep after i laid in bed.

But every other day I've been out like a light; max 10 minutes after getting into bed.