Anyone else feeling as doomed as I am?

Started by 168135
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1

168135

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got home last night... wasn't even sure if I was going to make it home because of the weather. I called up the vet clinic that I have volunteered at for a year, asking if I can come in over the break. "Oh, we already have two university students coming in, so we don't have room for you."

They both go to the Agriculture College... it's not like they didn't have experience there.

Watch them not let me job-shadow this summer.

I'm very disappointed. It seems like the people who have owned animals there entire lives, are involved in 4H, and have been volunteering/working at a clinic since they were 16 all have priority over me... I am in desperate need of something...

I don't know if I should call them back and ask if they have any days available over the break in which I can come in or not. My mom wants me to do them up a letter, asking them if I can observe over the February break. My mom wants to take me out to the animal shelter, so I can see if they want me to walk dogs. She also wants me to send a letter to the one other vet in the area, and I'm going to do up a resume for that one clinic in the city where I go to school.

If I can't get the experience, I might take a break, do the vet tech program, and them continue on with my bachelor of science.

Right now I just feel like everything is against me. This is more of a rant than anything... I was just really looking forward to going back to the clinic (where I thought I was welcome)... I had so many questions to ask the vets.
 
I don't know if I should call them back and ask if they have any days available over the break in which I can come in or not. My mom wants me to do them up a letter, asking them if I can observe over the February break. My mom wants to take me out to the animal shelter, so I can see if they want me to walk dogs. She also wants me to send a letter to the one other vet in the area, and I'm going to do up a resume for that one clinic in the city where I go to school.

The problem I see with this paragraph is that your mother seems to have more interest in the profession than you do. This is your future, what do YOU think you should do to make it happen. Call up all of the vet clinics in the area and see if they would take any shadows for a day or two. If you want this you won't let small setbacks like this, or getting a difficult professor be an excuse for not pursuing this career.
 
It does seem like your mom has more interest in it than you do. Its just something to consider in light of the fact that you have 8+ years of college ahead of you to become a vet.

Also, dont feel too bad about the clinic just not having room for you. I went to a dozen clinics before I found 1 that would take me as a volunteer. The simple fact of the matter is that volunteers arn't necessarily that useful at a lot of clinics and having too many extra people can be an issue. Especially if you are only there on an occasional basis where they may not even have time to train you on the more "useful" tasks.

Do up the resume and cover letter and drop it off with other local clinics in the area. Also, you can work as a tech in many places without going through any sort of a formal training program. Try finding a clinic where you can get a job at, being a kennel hand or a receptionist is at least a foot in the door. At that point they will know you and probably be much more willing to let you come and observe surgeries or pick up a few hours a week as a vet assistant.

From your other post your still in your first year of college right? If thats the case I wouldn't give up and do anything drastic yet. You still have 3.5 years to get experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe there's something else you should think about. You can always hit up your professors to see if they need an undergraduate assistant in their lab. From my experience, professors need help and they are more than happy to either employ you (for very little money), use you as a volunteer, or you can do it for credit. Lots of professors do research, it doesn't have to be one of your professors either. This is a good way to get experience, to possibly get yourself published, and its varied experience! 3 very good things on the application list!
 
We all hit roadblocks along the way. If something falls through, just be persistent and find an alternative. I've been turned down for a lot of jobs, even volunteer jobs. The best strategy is to be persistent with each job but apply to a lot of places. If you have to fight REALLY hard to get into a practice/lab/whatever, they probably won't let you do much anyway. At that point you give up and move on to the next opportunity. It usually works out for the better, because everyone will be a lot happier if you're actually welcome there.

Between this and the professor thing, you need to have a thicker skin and not let this stuff discourage you so much. **** happens, and you just have to deal with it and keep moving towards your goal. Good luck
 
Roadblocks are there to prevent the people who DONT want it bad enough from reaching their goals.

Ask them in advance if you can volunteer with them over the summer. Find another vet clinic to shadow at. Heres the problem, its December 18th and you just asked if you can shadow for winter break that is already upon us. The two who are already shadowing probably asked a month or more ago. Dont be last minute, ask in advance.
 
I completely empathize with you. The first time I had a real job working with a vet was the summer after my sophomore year in college. Before then I had done 4-H, but I was pretty much afraid of the vet where I lived and too scared to ask to shadow. So I had all this large animal experience, but no vet experience.

Like other posters have said, it's best to just ask the other clinics and see if they have spots available. Tell them you just want to volunteer and hopefully they will eventually offer you a job. It takes a while to work your way in, but once you're in it's wonderful 🙂
 
We've all been there. It's hard, I know, and it's not just that you aren't getting the experience...you somehow feel useless/inadequate that you can't seem to get a job or volunteer position. I was that exact way two summers ago, and I had been searching since before my spring break to get some large animal experience. I thought I had landed a volunteer spot, because when I went for an interview in March (during which time I mostly worked) they said they liked how I "jumped right in" and to call when school ends to arrange which days of the week I can come in. I called back at the appointed time, and what do I find? "Maybe you can come in for a few days in August." And by that time, most other summer jobs had been filled.

yeah, that was my rant. Point is, crummy stuff happens, and I know it really weighs on your mind, but you just need to keep trying with different places. Call every animal clinic in the area about this winter break AND the summer. Send them your resume, and then don't wait for them to call you--call them back in a week or two if they don't call you.
 
There are tons of opportunities! I'm 16 and I'm jealous of people in college who get to do a lot of things that I can't do because I'm not 18 yet. Most of the clinics around here don't allow any volunteers, shadows, or anything! If you want this you have to do it yourself. I volunteer at a bunch of different places but nobody will actually hire me because of my age. Its funny that your mom is pushing you to do all these things and my mom is trying to hold me back saying no you have plenty of time, you don't need to do that, you're taking on too much, go into human medicine, whats the point of doing that. At least you have you're mom backing you up. I'm sure there are a ton of opportunities around for you... you just have to dig deep and if you don't want this, care about it then you made your decision for yourself already.

🙂 goodluck
 
I had a similar problem when I first needed to get experience in an animal hospital. I was 24 years old already and no one would hire me because I had no experience. It was frustrating! I didn't understand how I could GET experience if no one would hire me or let me volunteer.

So I did a search on google for all of the animal hospitals near my area. I typed up a resume with a cover letter explaining my situation and within a week I had more than 10 responses to my resume (I sent out 25). I got different types of responses... some offering kennel positions, some offering volunteer work, and two hospitals even offering to train me as a technician right off the bat. So you just need to be persistent and not give up! Do a search in your area and be pro-active in finding your experience. 🙂
 
Reading the replies made me feel better.

My mom suggested a ton of things... I'm scared that if I contact the clinic again, that they might get frusterated with me. I'm a bit peeved off at the clinic anyway... I mentioned in another post that I get ignored by the receptionists there, and I don't get to do much because I haven't been there as long as some people, or because I'm the one with the least experience. I don't know if it is worth going back... but I'm going to do them up a letter, asking if I can come in during February.

I'm going out to the other vet clinic in the area tomorrow to see if I can speak to someone. The kennel attendent who I volunteered with job-shadowed with them on "Take Your Kids To Work Day", and I have heard that they are really good out there. The other clinic in the area is not an option... it is run by one doctor... a girl I know who is my age, works as a tech there, and when I went in last year to ask if they would like a volunteer, the receptionist told me to call them, the receptionist turned around and told the girl that I was "too quiet", and when I called them up, they said that they had one volunteer, the girl, and that they would call me if they needed one. Like they ever called me.

Also, I can go out to the animal shelter a few times... but I wanted to do more over Christmas break than walk dogs... if they even let me... it has been almost a year since I volunteered there last...

And I'm going to have *another* resume ready so that as soon as I get off of the bus where my university is, I can stop by, and give them my resume.

I have a bad habit of thinking negatively... it just seems like everytime I try to do something, somebody has gotten to it before me, or is better at it than me. And it is always the suck-ups and the snobs who get it before I do and I'm tired of letting them walk all over me. I have more things going for me than they do... I'm mature, determined, and I when I start something, I stick with it, even when things get difficult, like right now. I stuck with the IB program even though being at that high school was unbearable... I almost switched schools. I have stuck with vegetarianism... wow, has that ever been a tough journey... and I'm going to stick with this. If I don't get in... well, I'll study to be a vet tech, and I will apply every year until they let me in. I want to project my compassion for animals in this way. I want to make a difference. I've been in love with animals since... grade 4? There is just something about being around them that makes your heart melt... and when you help ease the pain of a sick animal, that feeling multiplies... I know that I am going to enjoy it... and like anything, things will get tough at times, but you get through them.

*sigh*

Just thinking about that almost brought me to tears. I can't wait to go to clinic tomorrow and say, "Hi, I'm Samantha. I'm currently in my first year of university and I am interrested in veterinary medicine. I was wonderng if you were interrested in having me volunteer or job-shadow over Christmas break, and possibly for a week in February and over the summer." Or something like that.... I don't know how it is going to come out. Maybe I might throw in "I have heard good things about this clinic and the veternarians who practice here" I don't know.
 
I wouldn't let one vet clinic bother you. Are you in college yet? You're not 'desperately needing' anything until your freshman year of college. Then you need to get your butt in gear. I didn't do anything til the summer b/t my freshman and sophomore year and wish I had.

BUT it is NOT the end of the world. I just got an interview with the vet school I applied to, even with my late start, so you definitely still have time. If that clinic doesn't want you, then fine, go to another one. Most vet schools want you to work in different clinical settings anyways (especially small vs large vs exotics). If that doesn't work out, try a research lab at the local university. Research is just as good (in some cases a bit better in small doses) as working with a vet in a clinic.

You're not screwed yet, so don't make it out to be that. Keep plugging away.
 
I wouldn't let one vet clinic bother you. Are you in college yet? You're not 'desperately needing' anything until your freshman year of college.

I'm in my freshman year. In grade 12, I volunteered at a clinic for almost a year... if I figured it out, it would be roughly 220 hours. I volunteered at an animal shelter also for roughly 100 hours. I haven't done any volunteering since I started university... there is one clinic that isn't far away, and I have to give them a second resume because they never got a hold of me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
... it just seems like everytime I try to do something, somebody has gotten to it before me, or is better at it than me.

Honestly, that's life. If you let the fact that there are people out there who are better/smarter/more talented than you get you down, you're in for a tough road. Because chances are excellent that there will always be someone smarted or more talent in a given area. You'll do much better if you accept that fact and do the best you can, regardless of whether or not that makes you the best.

I think I'm very lucky that I never had much trouble with this concept. One of my best guy friends (who I went to school with from elementary school through high school and was lab partners with all through high school) is the most brilliant, hard working person I've ever met. I learned early on that there's no reason to compete with him. I just compete with myself to do the best I can and enjoy the benefits of knowing someone whose intellect and work ethic blows me away.
 
My sympathies on your husband walking out too; I don't know what I would do in that situation, as my husband is my center. Best of luck to you. 🙁

And on the volunteer/hours topic--I know EXACTLY what you mean. I started college as an undecided major and ultimately graduated with a B.A. in German and two courses short of a Chemistry degree. I have always been interested in veterinary medicine, but unlike so many people who seem to know exactly what they want to do with their lives, I am still trying to decide once and for all what path to take--human medicine? Veterinary medicine? Something else entirely?

The result is that one year after graduating from my first university, I find myself back as an undergraduate (albeit at a different school) taking the rest of my pre-veterinary medicine classes and finishing my Chemistry degree. Since I started this path late, I also don't have those years upon years of experience with local vets, animal shelters, and so on. But I lucked out in one respect--I was work-study eligible for the first time in my life (now that I'm a poor independent student instead of a dependent), and my local college allows you to apply to work off-campus in area businesses. The result--I got a job at the humane society, which I love. I can tell you that at our shelter at least, we always welcome volunteers; we wouldn't run without their help and we're always grateful when people show an interest. So I would suggest you call, drop in, show an interest--if you are helpful and friendly, I have to believe that they will respond in kind.

Don't stress out too much about this; I am banking on "quality vs. quantity" for my own application, when I get there, but if I have to take another year to shadow and try to get a job with a "real" veterinary facility, it's not the end of the world. Experiences are really what you make of them. I think if you show dedication and intelligence and self-awareness, those have to count for something too. And I have to believe (although this is just a suspicion) that if you show that you have a variety of experiences, not ONLY vet-based, you can be a stronger applicant because you can say "hey, I did these things too, and they really helped me see that vet medicine is where I belong."

One final thought-don't forget that veterinary medicine is not just about animals; it's about people too. When I was interviewed for the job at the humane society, I was told that customer service is something that vet schools are concerned about in your references. My experience at the shelter has been great training for dealing with all sorts of people. So get a variety of experiences, find yourself a good adviser who can help you work on your weaknesses and display your strengths (unlike my adviser who asked me why I was pre-vet instead of pre-med when I went to see him this fall), and try not to be too hard on yourself. 🙂
 
I'm really sorry, philomycus.

One final thought-don't forget that veterinary medicine is not just about animals; it's about people too. When I was interviewed for the job at the humane society, I was told that customer service is something that vet schools are concerned about in your references. My experience at the shelter has been great training for dealing with all sorts of people. So get a variety of experiences, find yourself a good adviser who can help you work on your weaknesses and display your strengths (unlike my adviser who asked me why I was pre-vet instead of pre-med when I went to see him this fall), and try not to be too hard on yourself. 🙂

Good luck with that Whirr! I worked fast food for a while, so I know what it is like to work with customers. As a volunteer at the shelter, I wasn't allowed to deal with adoptions... basically I just cleaned 😛

I went out to the other clinic this morning. I told the receptionist that I was interrested in volunteering or job-shadowing. She said, "I don't think we take volunteers..." so I said that I was in pre-vet and that I was having a hard time getting experience at a clinic and she went off to get the doctor. The doctor was nice... kind of spaced out... at one point he was going on about how his daughter and another vet that I know's daughter are in vet school together... he said that it is too late to set something up now, and told me to drop off a resume so that he can work something out for February. He gave me some advice on what clinics to try at in the city where I go to university. Hopefully this works out... it is a much smaller clinic.. one or two doctors compared to six where I used to volunteer, so I'm looking forward to it, and I really hope that he isn't lying, like the other clinic in town did.

I'm going to try and get to the shelter... I'm going to talk to my boyfriend and see if he wants to walk dogs with me. I'd clean cages, but I have allergies to the cleaning products that they use.
 
I can relate to your frustration. Throughout College it seems that I have had to take some steps back everytime I took a step forward, especially during my freshman and sophomore years. Just stick with your determination and things will work out.

I was turned down at every clinic in my hometown and ended up having to volunteer 40 minutes away. This actually worked out for the best because the staff at this clinic was amazing and I walked away with a wonderful recommendation. I found this clinic when I got on google and looked up small animal clinics within a 20 mile radius. Twenty phone calls later and I finally received a yes! I also ended up volunteering at an equine clinic and wildlife clinic that were each 40 minutes away as well. If this type of travel is possible for you, I would definately give it a good amount of consideration.

I also had a friend who started out dog walking at the local shelter and asked if she could shadow the vets once in a while. A few months later she was shadowing in the clinic for surgeries and simple procedures and was even allowed to help vaccinate.

I hope this helps a little bit... I just joined today and this is my first post on here! Good luck🙂
 
Reading the replies made me feel better.

My mom suggested a ton of things... I'm scared that if I contact the clinic again, that they might get frusterated with me. I'm a bit peeved off at the clinic anyway... I mentioned in another post that I get ignored by the receptionists there, and I don't get to do much because I haven't been there as long as some people, or because I'm the one with the least experience. I don't know if it is worth going back... but I'm going to do them up a letter, asking if I can come in during February.

I'm going out to the other vet clinic in the area tomorrow to see if I can speak to someone. The kennel attendent who I volunteered with job-shadowed with them on "Take Your Kids To Work Day", and I have heard that they are really good out there. The other clinic in the area is not an option... it is run by one doctor... a girl I know who is my age, works as a tech there, and when I went in last year to ask if they would like a volunteer, the receptionist told me to call them, the receptionist turned around and told the girl that I was "too quiet", and when I called them up, they said that they had one volunteer, the girl, and that they would call me if they needed one. Like they ever called me.

You're lucky you have the mom you do. My mom couldn't care less about me getting into vet med. My Dad passed away a few years ago. I'm raising my little sister because my mom works so much. My point is, if I can do this without any support (I'm in college, working, volunteering, and taking care of family) you can surely truck on.

Do yourself a favor stop thinking negatively. It's not going to help you in any way, shape, or form. It's just going to bring you down. When you find yourself thinking something negative (oh, I'll never get to volunteer, etc) stop, and think positively -- I know I'll get a volunteer job somewhere. It's always worked for me. You get what you look for.

I know it's easy to become sad and frustrated, I've been there too - we all have. But don't give up. If you don't try at all, then it's guarenteed that you won't get into vet school. Trying is all you can do. There's always going to be someone faster, better, stronger, and smarter. If you keep thinking about that, then you'll just get down in the dumps. Just do your best, it's all you can do. Go watch some Finding Nemo... "just keep swimming, just keep swimming...."

It is hard to find a good place to volunteer. Like I mentioned in another thread, I tried everywhere in town and the next town over too. Especially if you don't have any prior experience, it's hard to get taken in. But you have to be pretty agressive about it. Just keep showing up. Keep on sending resumes. Call back and talk to the doc or office manager. Plenty of people will brush you off. You only need one to take you in. Show the universe how much you want to be a vet.

I had a heck of a time finding a place, and then a heck of a time integrating myself into the team. But now I'm part of the family, they wrote great LORs, and I even get paid too! I just kept showing up to volunteer....every single day over the summer.

About the being quiet thing - I feel your pain : ) I was very quiet as well. I have managed to be a bit more outspoken, and I agressively go for what I want. You'll need to be comfortable taking to people, because that's what vets do most of the day -- they're in the exam rooms with clients. There's no way around it but growing out of it.

What I would advise is to find a hobby, something you enjoy doing that forces you to interact with lots and lots of people. Soon enough, you'll feel a lot more comfortable talking to people, and you'll be having a good time. You may need to interview to get into your vet school too, so getting comfortable talking to people is actually pretty important.

Phew, didn't mean to go Dr. Phil on you there : )

---
Philomycus - really sorry to hear that. Just remember there's a big ol group of us who are thinking of you and wishing you strength and peace in this difficult time.
 
As a volunteer at the shelter, I wasn't allowed to deal with adoptions... basically I just cleaned 😛

Oh, I do plenty of that too. I'll be doing that early on New Year's while everyone else is sleeping off the champagne. :hardy:

I'm glad you seem to be finding some other avenues. I know I'm way behind in the volunteering stuff too; but I guess we have to be realistic, do the best we can, and hope it's good enough. At least the last time I took one of our four cats to the vet, he was really friendly and told me to stop by anytime and hang out in the clinic. Who knew a couple of hundred dollars worth of blood and urine tests would prove so fruitful?
 
Being a 16 year old, working in a clinic, I've been working on being outspoken. When I first started, the vet knew my Mom well, and always called my Mom about human-related animal things and my Mom is an Registered Nurse Certified, working to be a Nurse practitioner. The doctor needed animal caretakers who could do a little bit of everything... answering phones, vet assistant jobs, and she was willing to train.

She needed a person who could clean cages, and wasn't afraid to handle birds. We've been through too many people since the clinic started. Four animal caretakers have left because they were scared off by the birds. :laugh: So now that I've proved to be there enough, I'm being trained on how to do lab work, using avimark, and reception. What continues to hold me back is my people skills. I was abused at a young age [by my brothers, I've developed a nerve disorder and everything] and remain fearful of people at times... Though it's getting better. (Trichotillomania)

Well, that went off topic.

Anyways, I can't really say too much other than to get out there, send resumes and letters, and try to show your ability to pick up things fast. My vet seems impressed with college students who send their resume by mail all packaged. It's like two or three dollars to send, however she said it's very proffessional, and it's a great way to show your serious.

What about volunteering at a shelter or something first to show a vet that you've had some experience before applying there?

I wish you luck!

I'm lucky that the clinic was opening when it was and that she needed animal caretakers.
 
Thought I'd tell the rest of my story, or well not the rest but a part of it on me finding a job.

So I have a mom like yours, very encouraging, very helpful, very 'in' to me getting into vet school. My dad is too, but he doesn't do as much as my mom does (though lately they've both been Googling 'veterinary school interview questions' lol). She hounded me all throughout high school 'Get a job at a vet clinic!' and, being young and knowing everything (though I still am young and still know quite a bit! lol) I ignored her.

I got into Freshman year of college and goofed around the first semester (doesn't everyone?) but over that Christmas I came to my senses and was bound and determined to find a job for the next semester. So I looked into the white pages for veterinary clinics and did Google searches. In the end I wrote 34 letters and dropped off 34 resumes. Only 3 of which responded and two of them I couldn't work with due to scheduling problems and the last one the vet and I had different views and did not get along well at all.

So come the end of freshman year and I'm still jobless. I knew I had to get experience and was in dire straits for it so I again did the white pages thing, but this time for my home area. I found 27 vet clinics and, again, wrote 27 letters and sent them off with 27 resumes (couldn't drop them off personally due to distance). Out of that batch I got 4 replies, two of which didn't impress me and 2 of which did impress me and one was very close to my house and payed $10 an hour where as the other one was 30 minutes away and payed $7 an hour. Obvious choice right? lol

Well for two summers and two Christmas breaks now I've been driving 30 minutes in the morning and thirty minutes in the evening on my commute, making $7 an hour, 4 days a week. The clinic I work at has 10 hour work days so we get a day off. But taking a tour of the clinic and I was immediately impressed with it, much more than the one closer to my house so I took the job and don't regret a minute of it, I've learned an incredible amount working under the three veterinarians that work in the clinic. They all work with every species but each one is good at a certain one; like one specializes in exotics, the other cats, and the other large animals.


I guess the moral is that not everything works out in the beginning and to not be afraid to '*****' yourself out. You'll find a job eventually and hopefully it'll be just as good as the one I found. I don't get paid as much (especially due to the gas money from commute) but the experience/knowledge is far more valuable than the money.
 
Ah, keep trying! I am a second year pre-vet student and still haven't found a job or volunteer position in a clinic yet! I have applied at many clinics near my university, but haven't had much luck so far. Been turned down for a huge variety of different reasons - it's actually quite interesting. There was one clinic, who kept telling me that I had to speak with this one lady who was in charge of the volunteers, but I could never get a hold of her! I phoned the clinic dozens of times (the receptionists actually all learned my name because I phoned so much) but never did get a chance to speak to that one lady. Eventually, after about three months of phoning, they told me that the lady had broken her foot and wouldn't be in for a month or so. I kind of gave up at that clinic 😉 But I think I have finally found a clinic that will let me volunteer. I was supposed to start a few weeks ago but I had finals on the days they wanted me to work, but I am supposed to phone back in a few days to arrange a time. At least you've already volunteered at a clinic for a year!

Anyhow, good luck with getting some more experience.
 
I just got home last night... wasn't even sure if I was going to make it home because of the weather. I called up the vet clinic that I have volunteered at for a year, asking if I can come in over the break. "Oh, we already have two university students coming in, so we don't have room for you."

They both go to the Agriculture College... it's not like they didn't have experience there.

Watch them not let me job-shadow this summer.

I'm very disappointed. It seems like the people who have owned animals there entire lives, are involved in 4H, and have been volunteering/working at a clinic since they were 16 all have priority over me... I am in desperate need of something...

I don't know if I should call them back and ask if they have any days available over the break in which I can come in or not. My mom wants me to do them up a letter, asking them if I can observe over the February break. My mom wants to take me out to the animal shelter, so I can see if they want me to walk dogs. She also wants me to send a letter to the one other vet in the area, and I'm going to do up a resume for that one clinic in the city where I go to school.

If I can't get the experience, I might take a break, do the vet tech program, and them continue on with my bachelor of science.

Right now I just feel like everything is against me. This is more of a rant than anything... I was just really looking forward to going back to the clinic (where I thought I was welcome)... I had so many questions to ask the vets.

Offer kennel help. I have never heard of a clinic turning down somebody who wishes to clean up poop and pee. You may not get to shadow a vet right off-hand, but it is still experience and will show the Vets that you are serious about helping out. Sitting at home and writing a letter will get you nowhere, hit the streets and offer your voluntary services to any and all vets in your area.