Anyone else find this surreal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polargirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't applied to med school yet (I'll submit this June), but I can't help but think how surreal this all is. I met with my pre-med advisor earlier this week and she told me that I should be in great shape to submit for the next round. To be honest, it kind of freaked me out. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited, but at the same time it all seems so surreal. I've been working for so many years towards this, and to be finally able to apply, well, it's like I almost don't believe that I've actually reached the point where I'm applying. Anyone else with me on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I completely relate to what you're saying. When I was getting ready to apply, I was a little stunned. You're working towards this goal for years, mentally preparing yourself, building your resume, working hard in your classes. Then, finally, the day comes... (and months and months and months... of waiting)

polargirl said:
So I haven't applied to med school yet (I'll submit this June), but I can't help but think how surreal this all is. I met with my pre-med advisor earlier this week and she told me that I should be in great shape to submit for the next round. To be honest, it kind of freaked me out. Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited, but at the same time it all seems so surreal. I've been working for so many years towards this, and to be finally able to apply, well, it's like I almost don't believe that I've actually reached the point where I'm applying. Anyone else with me on this?

Yeah, it's like totally surreal... Yeah... *rolls another joint and hands it to the Op*

(read: get over yourself, you're just applying to medical school)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not even related to "getting over yourself." It's just finally getting to the point to actually do something tangible and finally see your goal go somewhere. It's just a good feeling; the OP just used the word surreal instead.

When training for a marathon, it's awesome to finally run that marathon. It is almost surreal...

wait.. what's goin on... shiattt

Ambs said:
It's not even related to "getting over yourself." It's just finally getting to the point to actually do something tangible and finally see your goal go somewhere. It's just a good feeling; the OP just used the word surreal instead.

When training for a marathon, it's awesome to finally run that marathon. It is almost surreal...

:sleep: :sleep:

Mateodaspy said:

It's a big step. Applying means you're actually taking a visible step towards being a doctor. I guess it's just more exciting for some people than it was for you. Why do you have to be such a killjoy?

Oh yeah, and running a marathon (notably when you're in the 20s mile-wise), everything is surreal.

surreal...

great word :thumbup:

yup, that about sums it up :)

tacrum43 said:
It's a big step. Applying means you're actually taking a visible step towards being a doctor. I guess it's just more exciting for some people than it was for you. Why do you have to be such a killjoy?

Thank you. Such cynicism/pessimism is ... :thumbdown:

tacrum43 said:

Just trying to get the Op's head out of the clouds. Maybe (s)he will lose their illusions of grandeur once they start shelling out secondary app fees and going on endless interview trips to hear the same speeches rattled off by admissions officials. Not quite the out-of-body experience the Op is hoping for....

Mateodaspy said:
Yeah, it's like totally surreal... Yeah... *rolls another joint and hands it to the Op*

(read: get over yourself, you're just applying to medical school)

You and I are on the same wavelength. :thumbup: :laugh: How about you respond to my PM already!

Mateodaspy said:
Just trying to get the Op's head out of the clouds. Maybe (s)he will lose their illusions of grandeur once they start shelling out secondary app fees and going on endless interview trips to hear the same speeches rattled off by admissions officials. Not quite the out-of-body experience the Op is hoping for....

Like I said, who made you the official wet blanket of SDN?

Mateodaspy said:

But his/her head isn't necessarily in the clouds-- they aren't yearning for some stupid out-of-body experience. They don't directly state nor imply illusions of grandeur. I believe that they are simply saying that finally getting to the point of submitting their application is a good feeling.

Mateodaspy said:

Sorry if you mistook my use of the word "surreal." But I think it's a good think that I'm excited about the process. And I'm definetly aware of the cost of applying, and med school for that matter. And as far as hearing the same speeches on "endless interview trips" - if I have enough interviews for that to happen, you won't hear any complaints from me!

Mateodaspy said:

Damn dude! If you can't stop and look in awe at the little achievements along this long and arduous road you might very well end up a pissed off P.A. with your head very much out of the clouds. Let her enjoy the moment, this road is almost non-stop stress, it's nice to be able to feel like you've reached a milestone in your journey. Some might call it.....

...surreal ;)

Ambs said:
But his/her head isn't necessarily in the clouds-- they aren't yearning for some stupid out-of-body experience. They don't directly state nor imply illusions of grandeur. I believe that they are simply saying that finally getting to the point of submitting their application is a good feeling.

(S)he described the experience as surreal:

surreal

adj 1: characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtapositions; dream-like

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just trying to correct an error as this application process is anything but....

Mateodaspy said:
(S)he described the experience as surreal:

surreal

adj 1: characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtapositions; dream-like

you actually took the time to break out the dictionary and school a bunch of pre-meds on vocabulary :wow:

Maybe you missed your calling, high school english teachers rock at arguing semantics dude :laugh:

polargirl said:
Sorry if you mistook my use of the word "surreal." But I think it's a good think that I'm excited about the process. And I'm definetly aware of the cost of applying, and med school for that matter. And as far as hearing the same speeches on "endless interview trips" - if I have enough interviews for that to happen, you won't hear any complaints from me!

it gets old, i assure you. but, whatever, feel free to revel in ignorant bliss. then start working on your personal statement.

JimmyMallo said:
you actually took the time to break out the dictionary and school a bunch of pre-meds on vocabulary :wow:

Maybe you missed your calling, high school english teachers rock at arguing semantics dude :laugh:

yeah, english teachers rock at that. totally.