Anyone else hate labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychEpathic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loathe my chemistry lab! I don't care about the formation of HCl from the decomposition of t-butyl chloride! ARGH! :mad: :mad: :mad:!

Sorry, I just had to release some stress :).

Members don't see this ad.

^^^sometimes i see labs as useless...i dont really enjoy performing labs; i like watching people perform them LOL--because you can see/analyze more than just making a "Big Bang"

yup. i hated it too. and those labs never helped me understand the concepts. i just tried to get out as fast as i could.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am taking OChem lab right now. I actually don't mind the experiments themselves but I can't understand a word the TA says, the lab book is very vague, and the actual intructor for the course is just a flat out mean unapproachable guy.

I am taking OChem lab right now. I actually don't mind the experiments themselves but I can't understand a word the TA says, the lab book is very vague, and the actual intructor for the course is just a flat out mean unapproachable guy.

man my TA speaks in a low voice and the accent is just a nightmare! lol and so whenever i make a mistake she's always reprimanding me....and i mumble on about cant understanding her argggggh so frustrating! it sucks

Bah labs are basically relaxation time. Im the biggest lab slacker on earth (literally did nothing for bio 1/2 labs, just talked to the TA's the whole time and played with things I felt like playing with) and have pulled A's in all labs. Dont stress too much bout it and remember its only 1 or 2 credits tops and you wont hate them anymore.

I didn't like the labs for chem classes.

i liked the lab for O chem....not the labs themselves but the poeple inside them....on person after being told that this solution is toxic and is extremely dangerous.....decides to spill it on his backpack...not just a drop but the entire test tube of stuff.....needless to say it burned a hole right through his backpack, binders, books and the wooden stool it was resting on.....so funny....:D

Yes, I hate lab. Just totally kills my days.

too much work and preparation for a one-hour class, not to mention it's bothersome to schedule a good time to take lab.

too much work and preparation for a one-hour class, not to mention it's bothersome to schedule a good time to take lab.

Only one hour!!! All my labs were three hours!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chem lab sucks but deal with it.And if you get tired burn yourself on the bunsen burner that always help you wake up.

I actually really liked my chem labs. Actually, just o.chem. G. chem sucked.

One time I accidentally turned the water in the sink on too high, it was attached to a little hose, and before I could turn it off the hose started twisting this way and that, and it just blasted water all over the girl sitting right next to me. I mean, it was the equivalent of a bucket of water right on her, and I was totally dry. Luckily, she had just started copying my notes from lecture, and didn't want to get mad at me. :D

I actually really like my chem labs. Actually, just o.chem. G. chem sucked.

One time I accidentally turned the water in the sink on too high, it was attached to a little hose, and before I could turn it off the hose started twisting this way and that, and it just blasted water all over the girl sitting right next to me. I mean, it was the equivalent of a bucket of water right on her, and I was totally fine. Luckily, she had just started copying my notes from lecture, and didn't want to get mad at me. :D

:laugh:. That's what she gets for sitting there.

i've never really minded lab, my largest problem in lab is lab partners. There is nothing quite like reteaching a lesson or doing the lab myself because of incompetant lab partners

How about I've put my ochem labs off until my last semester at school ?
Our labs are 3 hours per week plus 1 hour lecture - talk about time consuming !
I hate labs for the same reason I hate cooking, all the preparation, measuring, mixing and not to mention washing the dishes afterwards. Yecchh ! :thumbdown:

Are we in the same orgo lab????

I prefer lecture, but I don't hate the labs. sometimes they can be interesting, but it depends on what the material is over. If I'm dissecting a fetal pig in bio, I enjoy lab..but in the same lab different semester I can't stand going over measurement with the pipet, volumetric flask, graduated cylinder..etc. that is sooo boring!

hear, hear. I heated my O-CHEM labs with passion, especially my TA. She and Paris are on my to-kill list, because she had no idea what she was doing, and we were not allowed to sit during the whole 4- hour lab. I don't see how it's worthy the effort, I mean spending a lot of time for one credit hour? It would probably be easier if they just send us to fight a grizzly bear.

the worst is Analytical Chem. the entire class IS a lab. and the lab is just titrations over and over and over... and if the titrations aren't perfect, you do them again til they are...

Don't like labs either. Unfortunately, I've had to take a lot of lab classes (intro bio, gen chem, orgo, genetics, and biochem). Molecular/biochem lab was esp. odious since it was 9 hours/wk although the techniques/methods I learned in it were especially useful in my research.

If anyone else is from UF. We all know how absolutely horrible labs are. O-chem was fun, but fairly stressful as you never had enough time.

the worst is Analytical Chem. the entire class IS a lab. and the lab is just titrations over and over and over... and if the titrations aren't perfect, you do them again til they are...

well its nice to hear that my analytical class wasnt the only one to abuse the burets

sad, cuz theres so much else to do in analytical chem than stupid titrations

Loved my gen chems labs, but I had great TAs and great partners...
Analytical... UGHHH. Watching paint dry is more exciting.

Jeez! I love labs. Where else do you get A's or full credit for doing none or half of the work?

On the first day of class we got a quiz. The next class meeting, several people had already dropped. :laugh:

So far it hasn't been too bad. It was fun to watch critters run around in pond water last week.

I do wish I got more credit than one hour since I'm there for three. :confused:

I absolutely loathe my chemistry lab! I don't care about the formation of HCl from the decomposition of t-butyl chloride! ARGH! :mad: :mad: :mad:!
Sorry, I just had to release some stress :).

Yeah, I'm not a fan of chemistry. It's just a formality.

Bio/physiology labs, on the other hand, are a LOT of fun.

I was always the last one in and first one out of school labs and my grades showed...kinda f'ed up my GPA. Anyways, now that I've been rejected once, I work in a lab :sleep: ...for the Ph.D who interviewed me...:(

C.Koo

Benchwork / wet labs suck hard core. The only time I ever enjoyed doing research or lab work was when I was doing computational / bioinformatics type stuff on a computer.

Chem labs are very boring, indeed. And don't get me started on the tandem triplet repeat of prelab/labreport/postlab.

I was always the last one in and first one out of school labs and my grades showed...kinda f'ed up my GPA. Anyways, now that I've been rejected once, I work in a lab :sleep: ...for the Ph.D who interviewed me...:(

C.Koo

Careful dude, dont let yourself get trapped in that lab. Some profs basically enslave the students that are under them. You're probably just a lab tech so you can walk away if you want (altho he can dangle that LOR as collateral against you) but I know of some students who were pursuing PhD's or MS's and their thesis / work kept getting curtailed by a shady prof.

Careful dude, dont let yourself get trapped in that lab. Some profs basically enslave the students that are under them. You're probably just a lab tech so you can walk away if you want (altho he can dangle that LOR as collateral against you) but I know of some students who were pursuing PhD's or MS's and their thesis / work kept getting curtailed by a shady prof.

i hate lABS!!!!!!

Appreciate the advice but my PI is super cool. She really liked my interview and when we ran into each other by chance a few months later she recognized me in a crowd and took the time to ask if I had gotten in. When she found out that I hadn't and was looking for a research job for a year while I reapplied, she offered me one on the spot. She knows full well that I'm not going to stick around, and she's been a really good mentor trying to help me reach my goal. It helps that she's also medschool faculty at UH. The work is alright but the money is good so it'll pay for my application fees and flights in case I get OOS interviews.

C.Koo

Appreciate the advice but my PI is super cool. She really liked my interview and when we ran into each other by chance a few months later she recognized me in a crowd and took the time to ask if I had gotten in. When she found out that I hadn't and was looking for a research job for a year while I reapplied, she offered me one on the spot. She knows full well that I'm not going to stick around, and she's been a really good mentor trying to help me reach my goal. It helps that she's also medschool faculty at UH. The work is alright but the money is good so it'll pay for my application fees and flights in case I get OOS interviews.

C.Koo

:thumbup: nnnniiiiiceee

That there is a jackpot. Hold on for dear life and take away from it the most you can; a real mentor relationship! That's the kind of research you pray for.

And does anyone else find themselves making stuff up on lab reports? :laugh:

I actually liked labs, but only the upper level ones cause they were small and we were all good friends, so it was basically a good excuse to hang out with your friends. Our gen chem was 3 hours, Orgo and analytical were 4 hours, and all the others were 5-6 hours, although they usually ran over to become 7 or 8 hours, which is not fun at all.

Why I love science labs

Reason #423: You stand by cluelessly all semester, watching your lab partners do all the work but you all get the same grade in the end :p

Why I love science labs

Reason #296: The only courses where you spend the most contact hours (3 - 4 hours weekly) for the least credit hours (0 - 1 credit hour) :p

At my school, no one had lab partners. Chem labs were all an individual thing, so you had to do all the work and you had to turn in a pre-lab and the lab report, but no post-lab. I didn't really mind it. It was tedious, but most of the experiments were pretty easy. Maybe I just had a good lab manual though because it explained everything in agonizing detail, including calculations. I ended up with an A in my Gen Chem I lab. We'll see how Gen Chem II goes.

I hated labs because I had an anal retentive douchebag who would take off for grammar mistakes such as a misplaced comma....... I also disliked the ridiculous amounts of writing and the experiments that never seemed to work like planned with the weak chemicals. The thinking aspects, although rare, I did enjoy...just not being treated like a sp-ed that can only be trusted with circular paper and the fat pencils that I can't hurt myself with.

The funny thing is the fact that in the real world, lab experience is infinitely more important than what you learn in lectures.