Anyone else having trouble passing statistics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krc1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any tips on passing statistics? I dropped it last month and will be taking it again this Fall. I don't want to drop it again. It seems as though its holding me back and accomplishing what I want to do.... going to OT school.

Members don't see this ad.

just get a tutor, that should help a lot, and go at least once a week

I took stats over the summer and worked it everyday. That worked well because I made an A. I would suggest taking it in the summer by itself so you can focus on it 100%. Good luck!

As Hilary said, a tutor is KEY. Also as bustedgrill mentioned its a class that requires work everyday or at least a large block of hours each week.

Getting a good professor is key. You could ask around or browse reviews on ratemyprofessor.com. I took stats in undergrad as a semester class while taking many other courses and did very well. I retook the 1st portion of stats in a quarter system at a community college recently to refresh the material and it was a horrible experience. The only difference was the quality of the professor.

What did help me:
1. http://www.algebra.com/ - A lot of students ask questions that will be similar to ones you will receive and the tutors (free) on alegebra.com can be helpful in breaking down the problems

2. Find out KEY words in problems that will give you hints as to what formula you will use.

3. Flash cards, tutoring center at school, and staying calm.

4. If you don't like your book or are struggling with material try getting an elementary stats book at any used or 1/2 off bookstore. I had to do this because I felt my book (Triola) was difficult to understand. I picked up a cheap one ($6 bucks) by Bluman to use as a supplement.

Good luck! Nearly everyone I speak to loathes stats, so you aren't alone. :)