Anyone else really bored????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ambientbaby

What am I doing?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so bored right now. I am in my second rotation and I feel disappointed when I think that I may have made a poor decision going into medicine. It just doesn't "do it" for me. It's all repitition and algorithms. Very little free, independent decision making going on.

This year is much better than preclinical years, and I am in no way a book nerd that doesn't know how to relate to people. I am just understimulated.

Should I go into EM?? I may be more of a hands on person. Maybe I feel this way because I only watch the medical magic take place from my third year medical student seat and do not directly participate.

Does anyone have similar thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What rotations have you done?

You sound a bit like me with that comment about getting some hands on action. I have a feeling I could probably guess which rotations have bored you so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Internal medicine and Family. Very boring.

I am so bored right now. I am in my second rotation and I feel disappointed when I think that I may have made a poor decision going into medicine. It just doesn't "do it" for me. It's all repitition and algorithms. Very little free, independent decision making going on.

This year is much better than preclinical years, and I am in no way a book nerd that doesn't know how to relate to people. I am just understimulated.

Should I go into EM?? I may be more of a hands on person. Maybe I feel this way because I only watch the medical magic take place from my third year medical student seat and do not directly participate.

I have no regrets for going into this profession. The only complaint I have is my lack of an exciting social life. HOWEVER, I do NOT blame my profession, but my desire to get A's. You can easily get an MD and have an awsome social life, but you won't be top of the class, perhaps the bottom 25%, but maybe you'll be happier..... oh well

Internal medicine and Family. Very boring.

nice.

I've done Family and Peds and am ready to shoot myself.
Surgery starts next week though . . . finally! I would much rather be a human retractor and still get to watch some interesting cases each day instead of rounding for hours on end pontificating about K+ levels or doing well child checks.

I would just like some vacation time. Sometimes I get sick of doing more and more H&Ps or new consults.

You're going to have some good rotations and you're going to have some not so good rotations. Some you will like and others you won't like. 3rd year is an exposure year and you will be exposed to many things/ next year will be better/ but try to remember that rotations have so much to do with personalities clicking and not clicking and they way they are also setup.Hang in there and you will find your niche. good luck!

I agree with Ezal's post. You may not like most of ur rotations, but what matters is that you find what you like and do your residency in that field. I know for me, I had such a boring and bad time in peds, psych, and OB...but there were some rotations that I liked a lot. Also, realize that you barely get any exposure to subspecialties like optho, anesthesia, ENT, and whatnot. You should really wait until the end of your 3rd year before reconsidering your choice to pursue a medical career.

I feel like I am in a rut. I need some vacation time as said above.

Pretty much but I knew going in that I wasn't going to be one of those people who just can throw themselves into medicine and be completely happy. I find a lot of joy in things outside of medicine. Don't get me wrong, as far as a career there is nothing I would rather be doing but at the same time I find my excitement and entertainment outside of the hospital.

HOWEVER, I do NOT blame my profession, but my desire to get A's. You can easily get an MD and have an awsome social life, but you won't be top of the class, perhaps the bottom 25%, but maybe you'll be happier..... oh well

Yeah I've managed to do a lot of the things I did in undergrad this year. Unfortunately that leads to some of my classmates smoking me on rounds.

I definately felt that way on IM. Family was close but not quite as bad. Peds wasn't the same because we had 3x 2 week rotations, so by the time you got competent and bored, you switched.

One of my friends made it all the way through and didn't find anything she liked. She just finished a path rotation and absolutely loved it.

My first two rotations were peds and family. I did not enjoy peds, and I enjoyed family, but I wasn't sure if that's what I wanted to do.

After two rotations it's tough to be sure of what you want to do even if you enjoyed both of them thoroughly. Give it time. There will always be rotations where you are totally bored and disinterested. Be sure to check out anesthesia, EM, path, and derm if the main rotations don't appeal to you. If you enjoy surgery, explore the subspecialties. There are people who go through third year not sold on anything and then discover their calling in one of the above mentioned specialties right before it's time to apply for residencies.

i feel ya peeps, i'm on geriatrics right now.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I feel you! I was very bored during all the outpatient stuff (though they are very important specialities) but I love EM. Like above poster said, you only need to find one thing you like. Hang in there! :)

I feel you! I was very bored during all the outpatient stuff (though they are very important specialities) but I love EM. Like above poster said, you only need to find one thing you like. Hang in there! :)

anyone else feel like not ever reading? I feel so damn stupid while at the hospital that it actually takes away any motivation to learn. I've yet to find anything I want to read up on. even in OB/GYN i saw a case of vulvar melanoma that is something like 0.02/100,000 people and I still didn't care to read.

Yeah. IM really worried me because I thought I would like it the best and it bored me to tears, but surgery is fun and I'm really looking forward to EM. I do awful with dead time, so I have started just asking if there is something else more active I can do. You might want to try that to fight off the :sleep: .