• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Anyone Else Retaking Prereqs?

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
    Ok ... I'm deciding on what I should take for pre-reqs which will determine what school I go to (because of scheduling reasons).
    Did anyone retake prereqs they took in undergrad?

I was a chem major for the first 2 years. I took gen chem, quant chem, and ochem. I AM NOT retaking quant chem (which was a D - don't ask most of us got D's or F's) and I got like a B- in chem. Ochem I'm going to repeat regardless.

Also, I took Calc II in college which I did bad in C-.

Anyone else in my boat? At first I was going to just take Bio/Physics/Ochem/Upper level bio, but now I'm contemplating since DO schools replace grades maybe that might help me a little bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~M

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 7, 2002
    In a dark room
    1. Optometrist
      mshheaddoc said:
      Ok ... I'm deciding on what I should take for pre-reqs which will determine what school I go to (because of scheduling reasons).
      Did anyone retake prereqs they took in undergrad?

I was a chem major for the first 2 years. I took gen chem, quant chem, and ochem. I AM NOT retaking quant chem (which was a D - don't ask most of us got D's or F's) and I got like a B- in chem. Ochem I'm going to repeat regardless.

Also, I took Calc II in college which I did bad in C-.

Anyone else in my boat? At first I was going to just take Bio/Physics/Ochem/Upper level bio, but now I'm contemplating since DO schools replace grades maybe that might help me a little bit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~M
      I retook just about everything -- I'd been out of school for 12 years, so part of it was that I just didn't remember anything, but part of it was that I wanted to replace some grades. ;) I didn't retake Chem I, but that was about it.

sidewalkman

15+ Year Member
      Jun 11, 2004
        Hey, mushy, I will be retaking Physics, but that's because I last took the first semester of it back in 2000! I used the "Open a Book and See if I Remember It" test. Since nothing could be remembered from the prereqs I did take, all of them have been or will be retaken.

If I were going DO, I would retake most anything I got a C+ or lower in, especially classes you know would be easy now, but for whatever reason you screwed up the first time around (like me being a psych major, yet getting a C in intro to psych). I'd also search and post this question seperately in the pre-osteo forum, since I'm no expert.

About the Ads

junebuguf

Yo ***...Pimp My AMCAS
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        May 20, 2004
        1. Medical Student
          I really think you ought to decide which route you want to pursue (DO or MD) before starting on post-bacc. If you're thinking MD, it might not make much of a difference and since you were a chem major, retaking Gen Chem probably wont teach you a whole hell of a lot and will be a lot of busy work. I would retake Orgo and maybe take both Biochem I and II (assuming you havent already taken it), just to prove you can handle upper level Chem. Also, adcoms love Biochem and many schools require at least 4 credits. So I would think that would be a very beneficial class. Although Orgo is a pre-req, you may be able to take it simultaneously since you already, technically, have credit for it. And I didnt really think Orgo was neccessary for Biochem anyway. As long as you know the basic functional groups, you'll be fine.

I wouldnt retake Calc. Thats in your previous academic career. You're starting a new one and dont need it, unless you decide to take Physics w/ Calc, which you should not. I took calc based physics as an undergrad because it was required for my major and did not understand the concepts well. I took algebra based calc in post-bacc and did very well. Its just easier to grasp the concepts when you dont have to worry about calculus.

MHC

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Jun 30, 2003
            I just retook orgo 1 and aced it. It had been 12 years since I took it last. I also took other bio and chem undergrad courses (some repeats and many not) and raised my gpa considerably. Last year I got waitlisted and lots of rejections. With these changes I've been told by various DO adcoms that I am now VERY competitive, and that my gpa improvement makes the difference (4.0 in last 30 units of sci- all undergrad). So go for it! And of course do well on the MCAT. Good luck.

Roman

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Jul 12, 2004
              My Bio I & II are 6 years old and from a community college but I think it'd be a total waste of time and money retaking those classes. Wouldn't it be better to review and take an upper level class? Biochem?

Roman

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jul 12, 2004
                MedSchoolHopefu said:
                I am a senior this year and freshman year I got a D+/C in bio for 1st and 2nd semester, Are there any post-bacc programs that will let me retake bio? Thanks

In your case any formal post-bacc program would probably make you retake bio. You should retake it at your school before you graduate - make your post-bacc life a little easier and shorter.

MedSchoolHopefu

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Dec 13, 2004
                  Roman said:
                  In your case any formal post-bacc program would probably make you retake bio. You should retake it at your school before you graduate - make your post-bacc life a little easier and shorter.

I'm graduating this semester, so I cannot take a course here. I thought post bacc programs will only let you retake a class if it's been 5 years since you first took the class.

Roman

10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jul 12, 2004
                    MedSchoolHopefu said:
                    I'm graduating this semester, so I cannot take a course here. I thought post bacc programs will only let you retake a class if it's been 5 years since you first took the class.

I don't think there's any "cooling off" period for retaking classes.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.