Anyone ever get rejected after being accepted becuase of bad grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FizbanZymogen

Guitar Hero Champion
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question.....I did a search and couldn't find anything so I am wondering if anyone has been accepted to a med school and then bombed a quarter only to send the final transcript to their dream school and then be told they are no longer accepted. I don't anticipate this but just wondering if slacking the last quarter or so will kill you. Please don't post if you are going to say something like "I think......X" or "It could happen..." because I already know that. I want relevant, true stories please.

Members don't see this ad.

I too would like to know the answer to this question.

I am taking some classes now and I have absolutely no motivation anymore to get A's in them :D

My friend applied with a 4.0 GPA and got his acceptance taken away after getting a 3.9 one quarter

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend applied with a 4.0 GPA and got his acceptance taken away after getting a 3.9 one quarter

this sounds really fishy. What school was this?

Well, this is what I heard from a premed advisor at the local school here. There's a masters program for those that don't get in the first time around and your first semester grades are sent to the attached med schools for consideration. They make their decisions early second semester and that is how many students they accept from the program into the medical school that year. This professor told me that it's pretty hard to get your acceptance revoked even though the fine print says you are to maintain certain standards after your acceptance but she said it did happen for a couple of students one year. She said a couple of students must have skipped all their classes, gotten drunk through their entire second semester and failed their classes (it's a masters program so I don't know if she meant 'F' failing or just too many C's which would constitute as failing as well...). They got their acceptance revoked. But she said it is typically really, really hard. you dont' have to maintain top grades, but make sure you are going to get passing grades.

But it does happen.

My friend was rejected because he misspelled the word "because."

jk :D

i know this happened to someone for ugrad (a friend got into jhu, but ended up going to washu because jhu revoked his acceptance after receiving his senior spring grades). i know it's not the same as med school, but i can't imagine med school being less serious about grades than an ugrad.

Last year their was a series of posts on here about a kid who got accepted to Hopkins and then failed all of his classes. He was struggling over how to let them know and when he eventually did, their was some big swaray. I'm not sure how it ended up, but if you search through last summer's posts, you should find the whole story. Or maybe someone else remember it better than I do?

Last year their was a series of posts on here about a kid who got accepted to Hopkins and then failed all of his classes. He was struggling over how to let them know and when he eventually did, their was some big swaray. I'm not sure how it ended up, but if you search through last summer's posts, you should find the whole story. Or maybe someone else remember it better than I do?

he got in eventually

Quick question.....I did a search and couldn't find anything so I am wondering if anyone has been accepted to a med school and then bombed a quarter only to send the final transcript to their dream school and then be told they are no longer accepted. I don't anticipate this but just wondering if slacking the last quarter or so will kill you. Please don't post if you are going to say something like "I think......X" or "It could happen..." because I already know that. I want relevant, true stories please.

All acceptance letters I have seen or heard about are conditional on satisfactory completion of remaining coursework. Many letters specify that the grade must be a C or better (meaning a single C- is legitimate grounds to let the school off the hook on its acceptance). It is a condition of the contract you have with the school and so you must proceed assuming they will inforce that contract. While I've personally never met anyone whose acceptance was outright revoked (partly because so few formerly A students manage to tank their final semester), it is a possibility you need to protect yourself against. I have met someone whose acceptance was involuntarilly "deferred" for a year because he did not satisfy the requirements of his undergrad to graduate on time, but he ultimately finished stuff up and attended the subsequent year. So continue to work almost as hard as you usually do. Your summer before med school is your chance to rest up, not now.

What do you mean here? Was there a soirée? some evening party?

What do you mean here? Was there a soirée? some evening party?

yeah seriously.............that person's spelling was a bit scary, good luck on your essays :eek:

I agree with Law2Doc, most schools have specific requirements for admission. If your performance in your last semester causes you to miss one of those requirements, ie below C in a prereq course or grades that cause your overall/science GPA to fall below the minimum GPA, the school might revoke your acceptance.

On one of the acceptance letters I received, it clearly stated that matriculation was contingent upon satisfactory completion of the academic program (all majors and minors) stated on your application.

On another letter, it only stated that matriculation was dependent upon satisfactory completion of all medical school pre-requisites.

Needless to say, I am now a future student at the second school. :laugh:
(Not that it was my only reason for choosing that school...see my signature for more info).

I've mostly seen people talk about single grades not dropping below a C, but what if someone gets all B's And B-'s and ends up with a 2.9 GPA, having applied with let's say a 3.8. Do you guys think that would create problems or not?

I've mostly seen people talk about single grades not dropping below a C, but what if someone gets all B's And B-'s and ends up with a 2.9 GPA, having applied with let's say a 3.8. Do you guys think that would create problems or not?

not. If you score all B- and above no school is going to care.

That happen to my dads best friend. He ended up getting rejected and never went back, my dad got in the next year.