Anyone ever think to start their own locums company?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbomba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about this the other day. What's the problem with a spouse or partner starting a locums company, picking up contracts and using you, the physician, to fill those spots? This would allow you to keep the entire rate the hospital pays the locums company. If it's a spouse you could far undercut other locum providers since you'd be pocketing the entire amount anyways. Too crazy to work?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you want to move every single year? The total fee for one placement is about 15-20% of first year comp of the candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does this mean?
If he wants to "far undercut" people, his wife will make 30k in one shot, and then done until he moves next. So, unless he wants to move once a year, this seems absurd. And even then, is 30k worth all the work? It's not that easy to secure a recruitment contract. And you don't automatically want to work where your wife gets that contract.

If he wants to "far undercut" people, his wife will make 30k in one shot, and then done until he moves next. So, unless he wants to move once a year, this seems absurd. And even then, is 30k worth all the work? It's not that easy to secure a recruitment contract. And you don't automatically want to work where your wife gets that contract.

I was under the impression locums docs got X dollars per hour and the company kept the rest. So if a locums doc is getting $180/hr, the locums company is getting at least another $100. Wouldn't that bring the entire enterprise to $280/hr?

I'm assuming OP would try and branch out to providing locums for other docs as well. Even so, if you're in a large metro with many locums jobs, there's nothing stopping one from taking a new job every 6-12 months in the same area and them pocketing the extra. I wouldn't particularly want to do that, but it's not the craziest idea.

I was under the impression locums docs got X dollars per hour and the company kept the rest. So if a locums doc is getting $180/hr, the locums company is getting at least another $100. Wouldn't that bring the entire enterprise to $280/hr?

Yes, but slu's point was that unless the physician is frequently changing jobs, the locums company (in this case the spouse) only gets their cut a few times. Unless they plan to do locums for years and move around a lot it's not the most practical way for the spouse to utilize their time.

Some hospitals will only contract with one locums. So even you if you call them up as an individual or tiny company like this, they will turn you away because you aren't the specific company they contract with.

If you live in a large metro and are willing to drive an hour to work, I'd imagine there are a lot of locums options around.