Anyone every ask for a LOR from a proffesor they weren't sure what they might...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say? I asked for an LOR by a professor that while we first had awesome interaction and involvment has been strained for various reasons. I already gave her my interest and information for a LOR a few weeks ago. However, IMO, I am upset with a few things she has done and said. Frankly, I really don't want to include her LOR now. Especially sinced I rocked another science course this semester.

The reason why I am asking and adiment about her writing me the letter is because I had done so much for her in the first place. I created two published experiments that is used by the student body for Organic II. I teach her students as an org I TA... etc etc...

I dunno know how I feel on this. any help would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

quoi? First you say you don't want her to write a letter but then you contradict yourself saying that you want (are adament, lol, not adiment) her to write a letter? Which is it?

Besides, if you use something like Interfolio, just have her submit the letter and then never send it to schools. There's nothing wrong with that.

quoi? First you say you don't want her to write a letter but then you contradict yourself saying that you want (are adament, lol, not adiment) her to write a letter? Which is it?

Besides, if you use something like Interfolio, just have her submit the letter and then never send it to schools. There's nothing wrong with that.

Ok, I think you might be missing the point... I know this prof and at first I did want her to write the letter. As of lately I don't think I do want her letter and I am even more unsure of what she might say in her letter... At the least not writing a strong one which she should and could but perhaps might not. We are having differences of opinions in a few areas regarding teaching.

hope that makes sense...

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow ssquard's advice. Have her send the LOR to Interfolio and just never send it to any schools. Or if you want to burn all bridges altogether, just tell her you don't want her LOR anymore.

...(are adament, lol, not adiment) her to write a letter? Which is it?

adamant

Geez, if you're going to correct someone's spelling, at least get it right.

adamant

LOL, Darn it... I thought I got one letter wrong but now it's TWO.... :laugh: :laugh:

Not necessarily useful for you at this point, OP, but to all you kids out there playing for LORs: When you approach someone for a letter, ask bluntly, "Will you be able to write a favorable letter for me?"

Not necessarily useful for you at this point, OP, but to all you kids out there playing for LORs: When you approach someone for a letter, ask bluntly, "Will you be able to write a favorable letter for me?"

I totaly agree. I took this one step further IMO... not only did I say that. But I included a breif history and a resume along with my transcripts to spell out as clear as I could. ONLY WRITE THIS IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE POSITIVE... LOL.

In the case with this prof. I don't think she'll put anything negative but I don't feel it would spectacular either. Which from the other prof's I asked I know it will be.

adamant

way to catch my typo. oops. but I do know how to spell, honest. :oops:

(but blatant misspellings is one of my pet peeves, and sometimes the more egregious ones I have to correct....)

(but blatant misspellings is one of my pet peeves, and sometimes the more egregious ones I have to correct....)

It's one of the laws of SDN:

Whenever a poster corrects another poster's spelling, he or she will invariably make a spelling error in that post.

It's one of the laws of SDN:

Whenever a poster corrects another poster's spelling, he or she will invariably make a spelling error in that post.

How ture. I mean, true. :p

(I didn't quite finish reading that thread...it got too long!)

Honestly, who cares... if the spell check function worked I would press the button and fix the mistakes... I think worse errors are grammar like there and their or where and were.... When you see me doing that, then complain because that actually shows a lack of knowledge... common spelling mistakes are for writers which I am not.

You need to talk to her. Ask her bluntly if she will write a good letter. You need to make sure she's not going to back stab you!

Honestly, its a common question which many professors are expected to face. "Are you going to write a strong letter". All of the LoR which I've gotten, I've asked or they have brought it up.

Hi guys,

I was told in Med School Admissions workshops and from a contact at a Med School to ask your LOR writer if he/she would be willing to write "a strong letter of support" on your behalf. I guess this phrasing allows them to honestly tell you whether or not they will be able to write you a great letter. I think that the best thing to do is to assess the relationship you have with this professor and think about what he/she may write in your letter. If you are not comfortable with the thought of this prof writing you a letter, have them send it to a file service or whatever rec letter file service your school offers. I had many writers, but the ones I weren't comfortable with I did not send to the schools I was interested in. LORs can make or break you so be careful who you ask to write you a letter. Don't send in a letter written by a prof you are unsure of!!! I hope this helps. :luck:

~~Kia, Entering Class of 2011:hardy:

Hi guys,

I was told in Med School Admissions workshops and from a contact at a Med School to ask your LOR writer if he/she would be willing to write "a strong letter of support" on your behalf. I guess this phrasing allows them to honestly tell you whether or not they will be able to write you a great letter. I think that the best thing to do is to assess the relationship you have with this professor and think about what he/she may write in your letter. If you are not comfortable with the thought of this prof writing you a letter, have them send it to a file service or whatever rec letter file service your school offers. I had many writers, but the ones I weren't comfortable with I did not send to the schools I was interested in. LORs can make or break you so be careful who you ask to write you a letter. Don't send in a letter written by a prof you are unsure of!!! I hope this helps. :luck:

~~Kia, Entering Class of 2011:hardy:

Thank you, I so very much agree...

However, IMO, I am upset with a few things she has done and said. Frankly, I really don't want to include her LOR now. Especially sinced I rocked another science course this semester.
Listen here, young grasshoppa and the Almighty Jochi will solve your problem.

1) Get interfolio

2) request a LOR from the guy/gal whose science course you "rocked this semester" (also sent to interfolio)

3) update the gal whose LOR you no longer want on the fact that you are now with interfolio and give her all the forms she needs to send her letter

4) When you receive her LOR in your interfolio account, simply don't use it, use the other person's LOR in place.

If you have any doubt, absolutely do NOT get a letter from this professor.

That is all.