Anyone experience this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TabesDorsalis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted as a transfer applicant to another program at a PGY-2 level. I was previously a PGY-3. I have been out of residency training for 4 years over some legal problems. Those problems are resolved.

This is where it is odd: The program anticipates that I am going to have some hitches with the state licensing board when I submit my application for licensure. The Chair and Program Director have given me no letter of engagement, only a verbal statment that after they see where I am with the licensing board, they will start on my paper work on their end.

Does anyone find this to be a normal course under the circumstance, or should I at least expect some letter of intent at this stage? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

This doesn't make sense. If it is a state that doesn't require a training license (like NY or SC, where you just need a degree and a contract), then it doesn't matter. If it IS a state that requires a training license (like NC or LA), then you have to have a contract with a program to get the license.

No program can require you to have a full and unrestricted license to be a resident.

If you had problems enough to take you out of residency and need a lawyer, I would STRONGLY recommend seeing that same or another attorney for close guidance - ASAP.

I suspect considering the past problems you have had, your program is very hesitant to sign on with you until you at least pass the preliminaries of state licensure.

I was stuck in the position after transferring that I wasn't able to start my residency because the state wouldn't approve my training license. I waited five weeks, dealt with the worst bureaucratic scum who refused to even look at my application or talk to me on the phone, unable to start my residency. This caused my PD and program huge scheduling hassles.

I called the governor's office, they promised to look into it, and POOF! Thirty minutes later I had a license. In my case, there wasn't actually any problem, it was just a bureaucrat who is hopefully burning on the lowest circle of Heck as we speak. (hail Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light)

Just as a clarification, there are some states where this makes sense, e.g. California which does not have a training license per se and all physicians who have completed 3 years of any type of post-grad. clinical education mus get a full unrestricted license. If you aren't eligible for a license based on your prior legal problems (some of which might make getting a license problematic), then I think its not unreasonable for the program to make sure you are eligible since that is the basic requirement to enter most programs.

Apollyon said:
This doesn't make sense. If it is a state that doesn't require a training license (like NY or SC, where you just need a degree and a contract), then it doesn't matter. If it IS a state that requires a training license (like NC or LA), then you have to have a contract with a program to get the license.

No program can require you to have a full and unrestricted license to be a resident.

If you had problems enough to take you out of residency and need a lawyer, I would STRONGLY recommend seeing that same or another attorney for close guidance - ASAP.

To clarify: The new program is asking me to get a residency license/ training permit, but that still does require approval from the state licensing board. Also, I will be working in another state all together from where my previous residency was located.

Can we ask what your legal problem was??

Apollyon said:

HUH?? In California, you MUST have a full unrestricted medical license to progress past PGY-2 in most programs. I know this for a fact.

LADoc00 said:
HUH?? In California, you MUST have a full unrestricted medical license to progress past PGY-2 in most programs. I know this for a fact.

I'm not in California.