Anyone familiar with FAP eligibility?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepingPillow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for some reason I haven't been able to find someone that would be able to help me with this at my undergrad (even our top premed advisor and low-income advisor).

I applied for FAP for MCAT but wasn't eligible. My family income is definitely below the threshold (<$10,000 for 5, excluding me). I am at an undergrad that just happens to meet full need, so I have a sizable scholarship that includes living expenses, which ends up being around $17,000 after tuition. All of this was spent on housing and food. However, I think this counted towards my income, as that made my personal income just under $20,000, which is above the threshold, making me ineligible for FAP.

Is this just how it is and I should suck it up (I did attend college for free so maybe FAP is intended for people that did not), or did I miss something? Just paying for the MCAT full was fine, but applying next year will be a challenge.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be eligible. FAP asks for your family income and your income (which includes financial aid beyond tuition & books). For your family income, they'll consider the threshold of five persons in household. For your personal income, they'll consider it with respect to the 1 person/household threshold ($36,420), because you are living by yourself, away from your family.

I was in a similar position as you. I had ~19k in "financial aid awarded for living expenses" and was able to qualify for FAP. You should be able to as well, unless there are other incomes you haven't mentioned. Do you think you might have filled out the form incorrectly?

Reactions: 1 users
You should be eligible. FAP asks for your family income and your income (which includes financial aid beyond tuition & books). For your family income, they'll consider the threshold of five persons in household. For your personal income, they'll consider it with respect to the 1 person/household threshold ($36,420), because you are living by yourself, away from your family.

I was in a similar position as you. I had ~19k in "financial aid awarded for living expenses" and was able to qualify for FAP. You should be able to as well, unless there are other incomes you haven't mentioned. Do you think you might have filled out the form incorrectly?

Is the financial aid completely separate? Right now I have it listed in both "Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as it appears on your 1040 Tax Form for 2018" and "Financial Aid Awarded for Living Expenses", so maybe it's getting double counted? FAP could be adding them together which makes it $37,000, just barely over the threshold you put

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the financial aid completely separate? Right now I have it listed in both "Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as it appears on your 1040 Tax Form for 2018" and "Financial Aid Awarded for Living Expenses", so maybe it's getting double counted? FAP could be adding them together which makes it $37,000, just barely over the threshold you put

Yep, that explains it. It was double counted. Did you file your financial aid on your 1040? I would email them explaining your situation. They're pretty helpful & prompt through email.

Reactions: 1 user
Application expenses are just one part of the equation.
Travel expenses could really add up.
I suggest you apply for several credit cards as backup. As a graduating student many credit cards are happy to take the risk and offer you credit.

• Wow
FAP is based on your parents income during your childhood. Was the <10K with 6 dependents their income when you were a minor or your current income?

Application expenses are just one part of the equation.
Travel expenses could really add up.
I suggest you apply for several credit cards as backup. As a graduating student many credit cards are happy to take the risk and offer you credit.
You really need to make sure that you can pay it back though or else it could really ruin your credit score and future ability to get low interest on loans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
FAP is based on your parents income during your childhood. Was the <10K with 6 dependents their income when you were a minor or your current income?

FAP is based on your parents' current income, as they ask for last year's tax return.

So for some reason I haven't been able to find someone that would be able to help me with this at my undergrad (even our top premed advisor and low-income advisor).

I applied for FAP for MCAT but wasn't eligible. My family income is definitely below the threshold (<$10,000 for 5, excluding me). I am at an undergrad that just happens to meet full need, so I have a sizable scholarship that includes living expenses, which ends up being around $17,000 after tuition. All of this was spent on housing and food. However, I think this counted towards my income, as that made my personal income just under $20,000, which is above the threshold, making me ineligible for FAP.

Is this just how it is and I should suck it up (I did attend college for free so maybe FAP is intended for people that did not), or did I miss something? Just paying for the MCAT full was fine, but applying next year will be a challenge.

I don't know why you didn't get approved, because your situation sounds similar to mine. I was also awarded full ride + living expenses at a state school but still qualified for FAP. I would definitely reach out because it's possible there could have been an incorrect input/calculation of expenses.

No, it isnt. That is more of a determination of disadvantage status.

No, it isnt. That is more of a determination of disadvantage status.

Yes, I was already corrected and thanked the poster for informing me :)

Edited for typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.