Anyone familiar with State School Admissions mind providing some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poptarts WildBerry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think this in itself will affect your chances this cycle at University of Maryland, and by your status (Medical Student Accepted), it looks like you're not going to be applying for another cycle.

If you are only trying to change your state residency to get into UMD this cycle, it won't change anything admissions wise.

Members don't see this ad :)
@WedgeDawg Just to be clear, it says on UMD's website they have a clear preference for Maryland residents. If I were to complete these final two "reqs" I would be seen as in-state for the upcoming Fall semester. Why is it this won't help me though? Thanks for the prompt response.

Had you changed your residency before applying, you would likely have been considered as a Maryland resident and gone through the process as one with all the benefits that come with it. This would be important when the school was initially shaping their class. However, at this stage, the school has more or less decided what their class is going to look like, and it is unlikely that they will be more likely to pull you off the waitlist just because you recently changed residence. At this point, they are using the waitlist to adjust their final class based on who in their accepted pool decides to go else where, and the only possible benefit to being an MD resident at this point would be if they needed more MD residents in their class to fill an in-state quota. However, given that they are the only state school in Maryland and they have a fairly large pool of applicants to choose from, it's unlikely that you becoming a Maryland resident will make any tangible difference.

I will admit that I am not 100% sure about this, and my argument stems from logic rather than experience or knowledge, so perhaps wait for other opinions before you act on this.