Anyone feel like they're going through quarter life crisis?

brotherbloat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone out there is going through the "quarter life crisis"--meaning you're in your mid 20's and feel like you're re-evaluating everything in your life.

If so, especially if you're the spouse of a medical person, how did you make changes/ resolve things?

Members don't see this ad.

I just had to chuckle, sorry. Mainly bc I think I've been going through the QLC for the last 2-3 years now as have all my friends.

What is it that makes you feel as if being the spouse of a medical person has anything to do with your QLC?

The only reason I ask is bc I think that my QLC is mainly due to the fact that I am doing exactly the opposite of what I said I would do (which was never go into accounting), in an industry I never thought I would work in (telecom, but that's ok), not really loving my job (but who does nowadays?), and not doing anything related to what I went to school for (majored in poli-sci and thought I would go to law school... didn't happen obviously since I now have an MBA).

Basically real life turned out nothing like I thought it would. But I guess we all just have to accept that bc well, that's what being a gornw-up means right? At least that's what I tell myself :rolleyes: .

As for being the SO of a Dr... The only wrench that has thrown into the QLC already in progress is the prospective move for residency and all that that entails (new apt, new job, new friends, etc.). I guess I jsut see it as another thing to add to the mix, but definitely not the cause of the entire QLC, ya'know?

LOL, ditto. :)

tlew12778 said:
As for being the SO of a Dr... The only wrench that has thrown into the QLC already in progress is the prospective move for residency and all that that entails (new apt, new job, new friends, etc.). I guess I jsut see it as another thing to add to the mix, but definitely not the cause of the entire QLC, ya'know?

I agree. When I do flip and freak out about being over 25 and not having done anything "meaningful" with my life it makes me want to make a change RIGHTNOW. That's typical QLC for you. But until the match shakes out and residency sweeps us off to someplace as yet unknown, I can't change a damned thing. That's being a medspouse for you. So I go with the flow and make non-career-related changes in my life, like becoming a little more reliable and getting healthier and more fit and getting out and meeting people and just generally figuring out the things that make life meaningful -- the things I can get really enthusiastic about. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I had *no idea* it actually had a name-- QLC!!

i'm a medical student (sorry can i still post here?)

andddd i know exactly what you mean by the QLC.. actually i'm 24 dreading turning 25. It's gotten a lot better latley. I don't think you can make the changes .. I thinkthe changes happen slowly? THe only reason it has gotten better is b/c through much agonizing I finally figured out what I want to do with my life .. and that has made me much happier. Unlike most of you, i'm not married.. (that was a big cause of some of the problems too .. no one to come home and tell my problems too).

I think that aerobic exercise and allowing the "epiphanY" to come to you .. will change things. its too hard to say "alright i'm going to change X Y and Z" and just do it. some kind of realization about career/ life / habbits etc has to come to you.

good luck!!!

brotherbloat said:
Just wondered if anyone out there is going through the "quarter life crisis"--meaning you're in your mid 20's and feel like you're re-evaluating everything in your life.

If so, especially if you're the spouse of a medical person, how did you make changes/ resolve things?

How about people in their 40's?

Unlike most of you, i'm not married..
Trust me, being in a relationship does not lessen the burden... the burden just changes to:
"When is he going to pop the question?"
"When will we buy a house?"
"When will we have kids"
Or how about "Oh ****! Am I pregnant? What'd we do?" (NOT my question about my own life... I've just seen it happen) then it becomes "Why am I the one responsible for all the childcare?"
"Why won't he take out the trash? Is he really *that* lazy?"
Oh and the ever persistent question you will see in this particular forum:
"Why does my career take second place to his?"
:laugh: You just have to take it all with a grain of salt.

If there is one thing I have learned in life, it's that you can't really *expect* things to happen, ya'know? If you just go with the flow, life is much more bearable than comparing it to what you think life should be like now.

And that's applicable to all ages ;) .

BTW, I agree with Alison... making changes in your personal life helps loads. Simple things like keeping your apt clean, making good meals, working out and staying healthy, paying your bills on time, etc. all make you feel more grown up which definitely helps with the QLC IMO.

I'm a medical student, and I hear your pain about the QLC! I'm in my mid-20's, and I've re-evaluated every single aspect of my life, including career choice, husband/children (why I love and hate having them in my life), and to a point the purpose of life in general. I'm graduating and still have not found anything I'd like to do, but the loans are calling! I don't have any advice, as I'm going to counseling without much success, but I just thought I'd let you know that this seems to be a common enough problem that's not adressed enough!

I had my QLC in my late twenties. QLC is how I am ending up pre-med, and it's also what's breaking up my marriage. We were right together when I was 29 then wrong together once I hit 31. Amazing. And, I was a graphic production artist.

I think we near our thirties and think "WAIT! Did we jump on the wrong train? This is our last chance to jump on the right one!". My mom knew she was going to divorce my dad when she hit 30.

Haha! I'm in m QLC too. Seeing how my friends are all successful getting on with their careers, already making tons of money, having the time of their lives, getting married etc...while I'm still a mere medical student. I can deal with it most of the time, but sometimes it really makes me wonder what the future holds for me...if it's all worth it...

I'm neither a med student nor a spouse of one, so please forgive me for posting. I just wanted to chime in on my way over to the nontrad forum and say that, from my perspective, you all seem pretty lucky to be in your mid-20s and halfway through your (or your spouse's) medical education. I'm in my late 20s, one dissertation short of a PhD, and just now having my QLC and trying to get INTO medicine! :eek: