Anyone finish two residencies out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrnLt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my training, i'm encountered many physicians who are double boarded in different specialties and I'm not talking about combined programs either. Has anyone these days been able to become double boarded in separate programs or has funding restrictions on hospitals pretty much put an end to that?

Your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

In my training, i'm encountered many physicians who are double boarded in different specialties and I'm not talking about combined programs either. Has anyone these days been able to become double boarded in separate programs or has funding restrictions on hospitals pretty much put an end to that?

Your thoughts?

I've had an attending who completed fp residency and then later switched to opthalmology many years down the line. There was also a derm resident who previously completed fp residency. Also heard of 2 incoming radiology residents who were previously practicing family practioners. There was also a resident I worked with who switched to anesthesiology after doing family medicine for many years. I don't think they had funding problems but I'm not sure.

There's a guy where I am who was a private practice FP for 6 years before going back and doing an IM residency. He ended up doing the whole 3 years, which I always thought was odd, as I thought you would get credit for the first year - perhaps he wanted to attend a specific program. Anyway, he then went on and did a hem/onc fellowship. Smart, hardworking, nicest guy in the world - the complete opposite from me.