Anyone finished filling out FAFSA yet? How long did it take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zthang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone finished filling out FAFSA yet? How long did it take? And anybody know when the deadline is? I'm still not even sure where i'm going!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone finished filling out FAFSA yet? How long did it take? And anybody know when the deadline is? I'm still not even sure where i'm going!

deadline is march 1st. Yes i Filled it out. didn't take long at all. Easy if you've filled out your taxes already.

Took about 20 minutes. If you didn't do your taxes yet just use last years information.

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled mine out in around 20 minutes.

My EFC is 22,000 and change.

It took me about 20 minutes as well. It was very easy because I already filed my taxes.

Will it effect me in any way if i put down last year's tax information, in which i made barely anything, instead of this years tax information in which i made a lot? i ask because the difference is so drastic. not to mention, i havent done my taxes yet. can someone enlighten me?

Will it effect me in any way if i put down last year's tax information, in which i made barely anything, instead of this years tax information in which i made a lot? i ask because the difference is so drastic. not to mention, i havent done my taxes yet. can someone enlighten me?

This is what might happen (it happened to my friend). If they get the information from your taxes last year they will just award you a set amount of awards/loans based on that information. When they find out later the real information they will send you a letter saying "such and such amount has been removed from your financial aid package for such and such a reason." Just go buy turbotax get your W2 and fill it out. it really doesn't take that long.

This is what might happen (it happened to my friend). If they get the information from your taxes last year they will just award you a set amount of awards/loans based on that information. When they find out later the real information they will send you a letter saying "such and such amount has been removed from your financial aid package for such and such a reason." Just go buy turbotax get your W2 and fill it out. it really doesn't take that long.

Thanks!! I saw that turbo tax program the other day at Costco, and one of my co-workers mentioned it was beneficial. I dont really understand how it works though. to do your taxes, will it just provide you with a spreadsheet and allow you to press submit? or is it more of an organization tool?