Anyone from/familiar with New Haven?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm living off campus at Yale and need some advice. PM me if you can help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the med students seem to live in big apartment buildings on York Street -- University apts or York Street apt (forget exact name). If you interviewed at Yale, you know that it is boardered by some areas that are less safe. You could potentially live around Whitney or Prospect or State Street (and the streets in between) which is where a lot of grad students live, and take the Yale shuttle to the med center, but that might be a pain. Living in Wooster Sq (Italian area) might also be charming, but hard to get to the med school. Fortunately, rent is CHEAP in New Haven, and there aren't realtor fees.

I forgot the name of the one on York St but it looked good on the outside. The Taft is in a decent area too though I haven't seen the inside. Residence at Ninth Square looks good on the inside but is real trashy on the outside. Be prepared to spend at least $800. You should definitely check the place out, drive around at different times, ask the residents, because New Haven has pockets of unsafe areas. If you don't mind a 20 minute commute, you should definitely check out some of the apartments in Hamden (Seramonte, Avalon Walk), North Haven (Briarwood Hills), and West Haven (Giannoti and Kenneth Gardens). I still prefer Hamden because it's very safe and beautiful with the Sleeping Giant Park, but you might be mistaken for a Quinnipiac student. Look in <a href="http://www.apartments.com," target="_blank">www.apartments.com,</a> the yahoo category, and the New Haven Register.

if you're interested in living in more of a house, the area around Whitney/Orange streets (aka the grad ghetto) has lots of really old beautiful houses--many of them are split into apartments, with one apt. on each floor. This would be about a 40 min. walk to the hospital--but there is a shuttle. the upscale building in town is the Taft, at the corner of Chapel and College. There's a lot of housing in that area. The buildings on York street have a great view, if you're looking for more traditional apartment living. good luck! i really liked living in New Haven as an undergrad--let me know if you have other questions.