anyone from Mumbai university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiledentist

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey there!

cld people from Mumbai univ share their GPA?
myself & a couple of friends from Mumbai get this feeling we have very low GPAs in general, altho we were not bad at all in our respective batches.
i have a GPA of 2.79.
cld people from Mumbai pool in their GPA details so we know, Please?

thanx,
smiledentist

Members don't see this ad.

Mumbai University
GPA 2.63

this is gonna be helpful..atleats if we can find out how mumbai university is grading their candidates.(is it just me or everyone in mumbai university???)

hi smiledentist,
i guess its not just mumbai university but all the govt. dental colleges have the same problem....most of the people i know including myself have a gpa around 2.5... they all r from govt. colleges.

Members don't see this ad :)
well i know a person frm mumbai university with gpa 3.4

Atlast someone from Mumbai University!!!:clap: :clap:

Which colleges are you guys from? I am from GDC Mumbai and my GPA is low too!!+pity+

As far as I know, most of the private colleges are more liberal with their marking than the GDCs.

Hi,
I am from GDC of nagpur university with GPA 3.53

hi,

i am from nair mumbai,my gpa is descent(3.09,sometimes i feel it is low compared to other colleges):cool:

Originally posted by pkowe
Hi,
I am from GDC of nagpur university with GPA 3.53
---------------------------
hi
i am from gdc nagpur too

Hi anjoliey,
I must know u then. U r from which batch? I am from 1996 batch.Pass out in 2001.

Hi Priti,
I guess i passed out from the same college in the same year:) :) ...Rachna

Rachna,
I know you dear!:) how is your preparation going on?

The preparaton is going ok...just that finding patients is the most crucial part....how were your interviews? Good Luck !

hi mrinalini,

i m from D.Y.Patil, which is a private college, but sorry no excuses for us, coz we eventually end up as Mumbai univ & have exams at GDC & Nair. in stead we were worse off, i passed ages ago, so we had only GDC or Nair examiners & we were grilled being the "private college" students!!
by the way r u in London, doing what??.....MFDS or IQE??
i did my part A MFDSRCS & then abandoned!!
all the best for everything!

smiledentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi smiledentist,
Yup I'm in London, i'm giving my MFDS on april 5'th and I'm on the waiting list for the IQE partA. You guys think its tough getting licensed in the states try UK!!! Don't even get me started on how convuluted, twisted and dodgy the entire licensing process is here.
I will be shifting to the states in 2005 so, I'm giving my NDB's in July..hopefully...
D. Y. Patil..hmm yes I sympathise with the way you guys were roasted by our profs but trust me there was no partiallity cos they screwed our happiness too. We got **** internals as compared to you guys and during my final yr exams we had D.Y. and Nair examiners so they basically scerewed our happiness royally. Apart from all that college was fun :).
Any way, all the best with your apps and you guys are so lucky to have a forum in which you'll can guide one another, I wish they had something like this for the licensing process here :(

Cheers!

i totally agree with u abt the licensing in the UK. its HORRENDOUS!! all the v best t o for IQE & MFDS.
been there & done that!! not IQE tho, but MFDS yes !! only upto part A & then got married & got here!!
& DYP, i passed much before u must have & we had VV bad internal assessments too!
hang in there girl, u r lucky u r moving here in 2005, lot of issues of dental licensing in west coast shd be sorted out then, that way it'll be good for u!
bye,

smiledentist

hey smiledentist
:D Thanx..i'm holding on with my finger nails!!!..On a more serious note though I hope you and everyone else whose applied gets in...I think you guys have worked really hard and I'm sure it will pay off. I think the biggest inspiration though is Sam3 , anytime your down and out replay his story and i'm sure it will wind you right back into the groove.
Best o Luck to all of you.
cheers.

hi guys;
i am from dr d.y.patil dental colege .. that is i aslo graduated from mumbai univ my gpa is low too 2.4

Hmm preeti and rachna,
Nice to know u are doing good.
I am here too, just make a guess--lets see who strikes the target.
I am doing a GPR program here and getting into Pedo in July. Thats enough hint. gimme your e-mails--lets get in touch.
bye

and u know what. It does not matter even if you take a number of attemts to clear the BDS exams--only thing matters is that you should have good scores. Is'nt it weird--but thats a fact ---so if you have friends and folks who are doing BDS and planning on coming here ---tell them ---get good scores in each subject --no matter how many attempts you take. I had a GPA of 3.0 but I had to do really well in the NBDE to get the GPA surmounted by the NBDE scores. Any ways best of luck all you guys.

hi smiledoc,
i have pmed u please check it.
pearlindia.

Hi Guys, I just thought to remind you folks here in US from GDC, Nagpur, dont forget to include me........ ......that I am here too. Hope you remember that 'Once upon a time we were all together studying........and still today struggling.........some a few steps ahead & some trying to enter through the back door "!!

Hi,
I am from GDC Mumbai. I have a low GPA too---2.94
It was funny that the ECE first issued me a evalaution saying that my GPa was 3.69. I was happy, but after a few months they sent me another evaluation saying that the grading for Mumbai Universoity is different than others. I was very upset, but good to know that there are others with the same problem of this "Mumbai University GPA!!!"
BTW, it does not matter for your addmissions here. I got accepted at BU!
Thanks

hi what does this " GPA" mean . I am from dr mgr medical university ,chennai india. What will be my GPA ?? thankyou all

HI!Guys ,
Wondering if there is anyone already accepted/potential applicants for Advanced D.D.S program for this year from Mumbai University?

hi guys,

i am from mumbai univ too ...from nair ... i am in the same boat ... have a low gpa too - 2.8
have an interview at bu in feb ...hoping for the best

thanks
ras2006

:hi, everyone, i m from GDC mumbai batch 1999, pass out in 2004 , i also have same problem , my gpa is too low , i m tense ..... wat should be our reply if someone ask y gpa is low? do we get interview call from some university ..... i feel sorry for that:scared:

hi smiledentist,
i guess its not just mumbai university but all the govt. dental colleges have the same problem....most of the people i know including myself have a gpa around 2.5... they all r from govt. colleges.

I beg to differ, I guess, its not only Govt. colleges, I know loads of ppl from MUHS, some universities from South India- Chennai, Banglore...etc. who also had "so called low GPA's" (but made it into DDS program by making their resume strong with good NBDE scores and other stuff.)

HI everyone
dear friends after reading all of your's post i am affriad ,same thing is going to happen with me,
please help friends, i want to star study for part one but really confused in form filling process, ece and so many thing ,
can any one please let me know what is the process and please tell me in your own words, please not gave any link, i know everything about ada.org,
please help all my dear seniors
its your time to help one of your junior
bye
final b.d.s

HI everyone
dear friends after reading all of your's post i am affriad ,same thing is going to happen with me,
please help friends, i want to star study for part one but really confused in form filling process, ece and so many thing ,
can any one please let me know what is the process and please tell me in your own words, please not gave any link, i know everything about ada.org,
please help all my dear seniors
its your time to help one of your junior
bye
final b.d.s

These are the steps that you need to complete in order to apply for:

NATIONAL DENTAL EXAMINATION PART 1

Eligibility Requirements:

Documentation
The following provisions are required for the verification of educational credentials obtained from non-accredited dental schools.

1. Candidates must submit an examination application and fee to: The Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations
211 East Chicago Avenue, Suite 600
Chicago, Illinois 60611-2678
2. Candidates must have official dental school course transcripts verified by:

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202-3470
414-289-3400 www.ece.org
Candidates must contact Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) and request an ECE application form. The ECE form will describe what educational credentials are required and the manner in which to submit them to ECE. Fees for ECE services will also be listed. The candidate should indicate on the ECE application that a General Report on the evaluation of the educational credentials should be sent directly to the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations. It takes approximately four weeks for ECE to evaluate credentials.
3. Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. will send the ECE General Evaluation Report directly to a) the candidate and b) the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (if it was requested by the candidate on the ECE application).
4. The candidate must be aware that the Joint Commission will hold the examination application, but will not process it before the ECE Evaluation Report is received. The ECE report must be received in the Joint Commission office by the application deadline.
5. The candidate’s name on the ECE report must match the name on the application. Any name changes must be accompanied by legal documentation.

Documents that are to be submitted to ECE:DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS BY COUNTRY

INDIA
At any time during the evaluation process, ECE reserves the right to request the following: Original documents; documents to be sent directly to ECE by issuing institutions; and/or a plan of studies that includes the units, credits, or number of hours of instruction for each subject.
• Photocopies of all official educational credentials issued in English, beginning with the final year of secondary school. Send all those which apply to your educational history: Higher Secondary Certificate or Pre-University Certificate; University degree certificates and diplomas; and an official statement of marks for each attempt of each examination for all degree programs issued by the university. If the statements of marks include abbreviated paper titles, or numbered papers without titles, please provide complete course titles.
Please note:
Documents for all postsecondary studies must be issued by the university or autonomous college. Documents issued by affiliated colleges (such as "College Record" or "College Transcript") are not acceptable.
All official statements of marks for each attempt at each examination are needed, even if the examination was failed and re-taken or if marks from an earlier examination or attempt appear on a later statement of marks.
Consolidated statements of marks are not acceptable.

• Subject Analysis, Catalog Match, and Health Professions Licensure reports require a syllabus or other type of course descriptions to be submitted for all postsecondary academic subjects.

• Please check with the institution(s) to which you plan to submit our evaluation report for any additional documentation they might require. Some institutions require that we base our evaluation reports on original documents. If you plan to submit our evaluation report to one of them, you must submit original educational documents to us.

• If you submit insufficient documentation, we will contact you. We will keep your application active for six months, but you may request an extension. If we do not hear from you within six months or by the end of the extension, we will inactivate your application. A $60 re-activation fee is required if you want us to resume our evaluation after that date. If another six months passes without us hearing from you, we will discard all documentation. If you contact us after your documents have been discarded, a new application form, evaluation fee, and all documentation will be required.

• ECE will return original documentation sent in response to the instructions in Required Documentation, and any other original documentation specifically requested by ECE. You may request courier delivery for their return. If you do not request courier delivery, we will return your original documents via regular mail. All non-original documents, documents issued directly to us by academic institutions, original curricula and syllabi, and all photocopies become ECE's property and will not be returned.
Fill up the application Forms:
ECE Application Form (English)

http://www.ece.org/main/content=DownloadApplicationForms&SubSite=1&LeftNav=3

Apply for the ExamCost to apply: $250 (Credit card payments only.) Examination fees are non-refundable and non-transferable (no exceptions).
• Apply Online to take NBDE Part I

Schedule a Time to Take the ExamYou must apply for your exam with the ADA and receive your eligibility letter prior to scheduling your testing appointment with Prometric. Exams are administered year-round at Prometric Test Centers in the United States, it's territories, and Canada.

Take the Exam
I hope this info could help you goodluck!

thank you bro, for such a nice help, you so good that you have wrriten all the step and that really helpful to me, you must be a good person, because you have gave a lots of time for written such a big pharagraph.

thanks again
bye
AJAY

Hi
once again all my friends are here and they want to ask some of there doubt,
please help them also as you help me :-

dear what we have to say to the consulate at the time of visa interview,
and for which visa we have to apply,
please gave some ideas to tell the consulate,

thaks
bye
ajay, deepak, navin and amit

Hi
once again all my friends are here and they want to ask some of there doubt,
please help them also as you help me :-

dear what we have to say to the consulate at the time of visa interview,
and for which visa we have to apply,
please gave some ideas to tell the consulate,

thaks
bye
ajay, deepak, navin and amit

Im sorry I really dont know how can I help you with this matter but I found a website with regards to what type of visa you will need to apply, just check this site:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/types_of_visas.html

Types of Visas
Studying in the United States
Hundreds of thousands of people come to the United States from around the world to study and improve their skills. Numerous programs provide a wide variety of learning opportunities.

We recognize that recent changes in visa law have made it more difficult to get a visa in a timely manner. We are working to improve security clearance procedures to protect our borders and at the same time facilitate legitimate travel. The security clearance procedures delay the issuance of visas in some cases. Apply for your visa as soon as you have completed your preparation to study in the United States.

We made changes in various procedures to make sure that both US citizens and visitors are safe. Two new measures allow us to know that you are following your education program. Registration after arrival in the U.S. tells us that you are following the terms of your visa. The SEVIS program makes it easier for you, the school immigration officials and the consulate/embassy where you apply for a visa to make sure you are in lawful student status.

There are three major types of student visas:

Academic studies (F visa): For people who want to study or conduct research at an accredited U.S. college or University.
Academic studies as an Exchange Visitor (J visa): For people who will be participating in an exchange visitor program in the United States. The "J" visa is the primary visa for educational and cultural exchange programs
Non-Academic or Vocational Studies (M Visa): For people who want to study or train at a non-academic institution in the U.S.
Resources

Go to the United States Educational Foundation of India (USEFI) website at www.fulbright-India.org to get comprehensive information on all aspects of studying in the United States. There you'll find answers to questions like:

How can I study or conduct research in the U.S.?
How do I qualify for a student visa?
What kind of visa do I need?
How do I apply for a student visa?
The USEFI address in Mumbai is:

USEFI
The American Center
4 New Marine Lines
Mumbai 400 040
Telephone: 022 2262 4590
Fax: 022 2266 3956
E-Mail: [email protected]
Additionally, you may also go to Education USA to get more information on studying in the U.S. Education USA is produced by the U.S. Department of State.

Also go to the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the Department of Stateto find other information about studying in the United States, including information on the Fulbright Program, English Language Programs, Humphrey Fellowships, Educational Partnership Programs and much more.

What Do I Need to Apply for a Student F1 visa?

First, you need all the documents required for any nonimmigrant visa:

Then, the following documents are also required for student applicants:

An I-20 Form, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, obtained from a U.S. college, school or university. Please be sure to give us both pages of the newer, bar coded SEVIS form. The form must also be signed by you and by a school official.
Mark sheets, transcripts and certificates from previous institutions attended.
Scores from U.S. standardized tests such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, wherever applicable.
Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study.
You must prove that funds are immediately available to cover the first year's costs, and show evidence that funds will be available for all subsequent years. Any financial documentation you provide should be in support of this. This applies to ALL student visa applicants.

All student visa applicants need to schedule an interview through VFS. Please visit the VFS website for more information on this process.

Dependents of F1 of J1 visa applicants - F2/J2 visas

The spouse and children of the principal applicant (the person with the F1 or J1 visa) may apply for "derivative" visas (F2 or J2 visas) to accompany or join the principal applicant in the U.S. "Child" is defined for visa purposes as being under 21 years of age.

Derivative visas are available only to spouses and children; they are not available to the parents, in-laws or adult (21 years old or older) sons and daughters of the principal applicant.

A person who receives a visa as the spouse or child of a temporary worker may not accept employment in the United States. The principal applicant must be able to show adequate financial resources to support his or her family in the United States.

Accompanying family members are strongly encouraged to submit their applications for visas at the same time as the principal applicant.

In order to apply, F2 and J2 visa applicants must provide all required documents for nonimmigrant visa applicants, as well as the following:

An I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, obtained from the U.S. College, school or university where the spouse is studying with names of all dependent visa applicants on the I-20. SEVIS Confirmation numbers for family members are also mandatory.
The marriage registration certificate for the spouse and birth certificate for each child.
A copy of the wedding invitation and wedding ceremony photos - no fewer than 10 and no more than 20.
A good quality photocopy or the original of their spouse's passport - all 36 pages. The copy should be of GOOD quality and the photo must be clearly identifiable.
Proof of funds to support the stay of the applicants in the United States during the spouse's course of study.
All applicants need to appear in person for an interview at the Consulate. For more information on how to schedule an interview, please visit the VFS website.

If you are applying for an F or M visa, you may not apply more than 120 days before the starting date listed on your I-20. We prefer that you wait to schedule an interview until you have received the I-20 from the school that you want to attend.

You can enter the United States on your F or M visa no earlier than 30 days before the starting date listed on your I-20.

Need more information? Click here for our Frequently Asked Questions for student visas.

I hope this will help.

hi guys,

i am from mumbai univ too ...from nair ... i am in the same boat ... have a low gpa too - 2.8
have an interview at bu in feb ...hoping for the best

thanks
ras2006

Hey

I am from Nair too... the '05 batch....
which batch are u from?

hey there vpg,
i graduated wayyy back in 1998

rashmi

Hey

I am from Nair too... the '05 batch....
which batch are u from?

I just wonder there was not a single comment for this post!!!!:confused:
sme1 has wasted so much time on writing that much detail.

anyways... here i m to say
good job done:thumbup:

Im sorry I really dont know how can I help you with this matter but I found a website with regards to what type of visa you will need to apply, just check this site:

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/types_of_visas.html

Types of Visas
Studying in the United States
Hundreds of thousands of people come to the United States from around the world to study and improve their skills. Numerous programs provide a wide variety of learning opportunities.

We recognize that recent changes in visa law have made it more difficult to get a visa in a timely manner. We are working to improve security clearance procedures to protect our borders and at the same time facilitate legitimate travel. The security clearance procedures delay the issuance of visas in some cases. Apply for your visa as soon as you have completed your preparation to study in the United States.

We made changes in various procedures to make sure that both US citizens and visitors are safe. Two new measures allow us to know that you are following your education program. Registration after arrival in the U.S. tells us that you are following the terms of your visa. The SEVIS program makes it easier for you, the school immigration officials and the consulate/embassy where you apply for a visa to make sure you are in lawful student status.

There are three major types of student visas:

Academic studies (F visa): For people who want to study or conduct research at an accredited U.S. college or University.
Academic studies as an Exchange Visitor (J visa): For people who will be participating in an exchange visitor program in the United States. The "J" visa is the primary visa for educational and cultural exchange programs
Non-Academic or Vocational Studies (M Visa): For people who want to study or train at a non-academic institution in the U.S.
Resources

Go to the United States Educational Foundation of India (USEFI) website at www.fulbright-India.org to get comprehensive information on all aspects of studying in the United States. There you'll find answers to questions like:

How can I study or conduct research in the U.S.?
How do I qualify for a student visa?
What kind of visa do I need?
How do I apply for a student visa?
The USEFI address in Mumbai is:

USEFI
The American Center
4 New Marine Lines
Mumbai 400 040
Telephone: 022 2262 4590
Fax: 022 2266 3956
E-Mail: [email protected]
Additionally, you may also go to Education USA to get more information on studying in the U.S. Education USA is produced by the U.S. Department of State.

Also go to the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the Department of Stateto find other information about studying in the United States, including information on the Fulbright Program, English Language Programs, Humphrey Fellowships, Educational Partnership Programs and much more.

What Do I Need to Apply for a Student F1 visa?

First, you need all the documents required for any nonimmigrant visa:

Then, the following documents are also required for student applicants:

An I-20 Form, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, obtained from a U.S. college, school or university. Please be sure to give us both pages of the newer, bar coded SEVIS form. The form must also be signed by you and by a school official.
Mark sheets, transcripts and certificates from previous institutions attended.
Scores from U.S. standardized tests such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, wherever applicable.
Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study.
You must prove that funds are immediately available to cover the first year's costs, and show evidence that funds will be available for all subsequent years. Any financial documentation you provide should be in support of this. This applies to ALL student visa applicants.

All student visa applicants need to schedule an interview through VFS. Please visit the VFS website for more information on this process.

Dependents of F1 of J1 visa applicants - F2/J2 visas

The spouse and children of the principal applicant (the person with the F1 or J1 visa) may apply for "derivative" visas (F2 or J2 visas) to accompany or join the principal applicant in the U.S. "Child" is defined for visa purposes as being under 21 years of age.

Derivative visas are available only to spouses and children; they are not available to the parents, in-laws or adult (21 years old or older) sons and daughters of the principal applicant.

A person who receives a visa as the spouse or child of a temporary worker may not accept employment in the United States. The principal applicant must be able to show adequate financial resources to support his or her family in the United States.

Accompanying family members are strongly encouraged to submit their applications for visas at the same time as the principal applicant.

In order to apply, F2 and J2 visa applicants must provide all required documents for nonimmigrant visa applicants, as well as the following:

An I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, obtained from the U.S. College, school or university where the spouse is studying with names of all dependent visa applicants on the I-20. SEVIS Confirmation numbers for family members are also mandatory.
The marriage registration certificate for the spouse and birth certificate for each child.
A copy of the wedding invitation and wedding ceremony photos - no fewer than 10 and no more than 20.
A good quality photocopy or the original of their spouse's passport - all 36 pages. The copy should be of GOOD quality and the photo must be clearly identifiable.
Proof of funds to support the stay of the applicants in the United States during the spouse's course of study.
All applicants need to appear in person for an interview at the Consulate. For more information on how to schedule an interview, please visit the VFS website.

If you are applying for an F or M visa, you may not apply more than 120 days before the starting date listed on your I-20. We prefer that you wait to schedule an interview until you have received the I-20 from the school that you want to attend.

You can enter the United States on your F or M visa no earlier than 30 days before the starting date listed on your I-20.

Need more information? Click here for our Frequently Asked Questions for student visas.

I hope this will help.

dont lose hope..people wit low gpa...
mumbai university gives real bad marks..
my gpa is 2.5...
any one else from mumbai university or govt colleges back home????
in theis years admision cycle????

dont lose hope..people wit low gpa...
mumbai university gives real bad marks..
my gpa is 2.5...
any one else from mumbai university or govt colleges back home????
in theis years admision cycle????
hey docsmiley
hey i have my gpa which is pretty low and i m tensed too i ill be appearing in july 2008 i m from muhs university from a private college