anyone get into med school with 3 C's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightthecandle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a C in Intermediate Algebra, from 2 years ago, a C in bio, and possibly a C in physics. god, I don't know what my chances are anymore. I still have 2.5 years of undergrad left, and I honestly just don't know...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You can without a doubt recover from this. Just calm down and work harder next time to form that upward trend; make sure your MCAT shows that you can handle the material in med school.

Yes. You can without a doubt recover from this. Just calm down and work harder next time to form that upward trend; make sure your MCAT shows that you can handle the material in med school.

thanks for the advice AAJ! I definitely will..God willing

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course not. aaj117, me, et al have sparkling GPAs with no prior C's, and med schools still only look at us out of pity.

(check mdapps)

I didnt get 3 but i did have 2 earlier on in college.
I took some upper levels and got As, made a big change resulting in positive trend, and did OK on my MCAT and i just got in!

Just dont let it happen too late in your college career. And get some ECs in to show interest.

3 C's?? lol... how about 5 C's and a C+

C+ in expository writing (10 on VR and an R on MCAT though)
C's in General chem I/II (A/B in orgo I/II)
C in physics I (B in physics II and A's in lab)
C in calc I (B+ in research stat)
C in advanced developmental biology (cross listed grad course i took with A&P, topics in human genetics and 2 other high level bio courses only class i didnt get an A in)

3 of those C's were in one semester and I pulled myself out of a nose dive so that my BCPM for my last two years was a 3.7. I'm hoping that such a strong trend of improvement will save me from the rejection pile.

It is doable, but it also depends on a lot of other factors like:

1. Grade improvement for remainder of school
2. MCAT scores
3. ECs
4. State of residency/URM/underprivileged status

2. MCAT scores
3. ECs

For example in NJ the guys at RWJ and NJMS know rutgers chem program is just horrid so they're supposedly more inclined to look the other way at lower grades...or so ive been told.

I don't why URM status should allow you to get by with more C's than someone who is non-URM...but hey thats how it is. :shrug:

i had 3 C+'s, all in science classes and got 4 interviews -- so far, got into one, waitlisted at another, waiting to hear back from the third and have to interview at the 4th.

2. MCAT scores
3. ECs

Let me also add on that your undergrad schools (varies and not that much of influence) can have some affect. I am willing to bet that they would look over your Cs if you got them at MIT than if you got them at some JC. As for statement 4 that I made, certain states have great state schools and large number of medical applicants, which usually makes them hard to get into. Alot of times, usually a state school is a backup for good applicants, but in these competitive states, they can be even harder to get into than a private school of similar tiers(example the UCs). As for URM and underprivileged status, schools are a lot more lent in regards to MCATs and grades. Is it fair? Nope, but then medicine isnt fair.

I had 2 B- grades...first part of orgo and first part of physics...2nd semester, I got A's. I think as long as you show improvement you'll be fine.

I have 5 Cs 2 Ds and 2 Fs along with 5 Ws. Quit whining.

I have 5 Cs 2 Ds and 2 Fs along with 5 Ws. Quit whining.

I think its getting to that point in the cycle when everyone starts doubting themselves...

I guess with those C's your hoping that a strong upward trend will help too?

Members don't see this ad :)
As some of the early posts stated, YES there is absolutely no reason to feel you must quit now...as you said, it is very early on, and you have plenty of time to make med schools overlook those grades by doing well with higher level classes and the MCAT...I was in a similar position earning C's in two science classes early on (genetics and physics II), but did OK on the MCAT and took care of several high level science classes my last two years of undergrad...I've received a few interview invites and an acceptance so just fix whatever you have been doing wrong as far as study habits etc and just put your mind to doing well from here on out...good luck!!!

I ask myself the same thing everyday...

I think it shows someone who can get knocked down and can get back up...which is something that happens a lot in life. It shows a lot about your character.

The individual who just coasts thorugh college with a 4.0 maybe talented but how do you know they'll stick with things when the crap hits the fan...i guess thats what EC's are for though?

Phenol: Whats your plan if *knock on wood* you don't get in? SMP?

Phenol: Whats your plan if *knock on wood* you don't get in? SMP?

Seppuku :laugh:

in all seriousness...i was fortunate enough to get out of my UG with no debt...so id rather not put myself into debt for something like SMP...id probably just keep working and do a lot of volunteer stuff.

Is going from a 3.0 freshman/sophmore year to a 3.7 in junior and senior year when i had all my upper level classes enough of a demonstration of my ability to handle med school?

i had 3 C+'s, all in science classes and got 4 interviews -- so far, got into one, waitlisted at another, waiting to hear back from the third and have to interview at the 4th.

what do you think helped you get in? MCAT? Great EC's?

Schools? GPA and MCAT scores? ECs? Resident/URM status?

what do you think helped you get in? MCAT? Great EC's?
haha i know you didn't ask me, but i think that my experiences may be helpful for you as i have a sprinkling of Cs in both BCPM and non science courses. For me it was definitely a combination of strong MCAT, ECs, and LORs; i knew that my GPA would be the weak point in my app, but i wanted to make sure that it was THE weak point, not just A weak point amongst many. Most of my interviewers have told me that they're not overly concerned with my gpa as my MCAT and experiences prove that i can do the work. My ECs show adcoms exactly who i am; i have tons of clinical experience, because that was what made me want to become a doctor, not the other way around. The majority of my ECs are volunteer work, because i'm a very service oriented person; if it wasn't for government services and the community service of others, i wouldn't be where i am now, and i have always felt very obligated to provide the same opportunities to others, especially younger students. My activism (LGBT, pro-choice, and racial--black student union, NAACP, others), shows that I'm not afraid to stand up for what i believe in and that i'm a strong advocate for others...the way i've combined this with my medical interests shows how i'll transfer this to beign an advocate for my patients. and by being so involved in those ECs as well as with a few professors via research or extra participation/showing further interest after a course ends, i was able to get some great recommendations from my thesis advisor and some great professors with whom i did research or just generally showed a great interest. If you're worried about grades, there's nothing you can do to change the ones you've already gotten. There is something you can do about the future ones, and there's plenty you can do this early in your academic career to make this your only weak point; no applicant is perfect, no matter how it seems on SDN.

C+ in Chem II, Orgo I, Lit across borders, Expository Writing
3.61 final GPA and I got in...Improvement is looked highly upon.

haha i know you didn't ask me, but i think that my experiences may be helpful for you as i have a sprinkling of Cs in both BCPM and non science courses. For me it was definitely a combination of strong MCAT, ECs, and LORs; i knew that my GPA would be the weak point in my app, but i wanted to make sure that it was THE weak point, not just A weak point amongst many. Most of my interviewers have told me that they're not overly concerned with my gpa as my MCAT and experiences prove that i can do the work. My ECs show adcoms exactly who i am; i have tons of clinical experience, because that was what made me want to become a doctor, not the other way around. The majority of my ECs are volunteer work, because i'm a very service oriented person; if it wasn't for government services and the community service of others, i wouldn't be where i am now, and i have always felt very obligated to provide the same opportunities to others, especially younger students. My activism (LGBT, pro-choice, and racial--black student union, NAACP, others), shows that I'm not afraid to stand up for what i believe in and that i'm a strong advocate for others...the way i've combined this with my medical interests shows how i'll transfer this to beign an advocate for my patients. and by being so involved in those ECs as well as with a few professors via research or extra participation/showing further interest after a course ends, i was able to get some great recommendations from my thesis advisor and some great professors with whom i did research or just generally showed a great interest. If you're worried about grades, there's nothing you can do to change the ones you've already gotten. There is something you can do about the future ones, and there's plenty you can do this early in your academic career to make this your only weak point; no applicant is perfect, no matter how it seems on SDN.

Are you black?

Are you black?
yes in fact i am, but i didn't just get in because i'm a URM; of the 3 acceptances i have so far, 1 of them was to a school that does not use affirmative action (tufts).