Anyone going to Boston U this fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TOdentist

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got accepted to BU and was wondering if anyone else is going there. Im from Toronto so it would be nice to starting meetin some future classmates to ease some of the anxiety/excitement. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

do you have any other interviews...as a canadian, I would advise you to try your best to get into another school...BU is a total for-profit school and you will have such a huge debt when graduating and not the best clinical education....

Canadians who graduate from BU will definitely have a hard professional life paying back loans in US dollars with high interest rates :scared:

Unless your family is already loaded, than ignore the above statement

Dr. BadVibes,

Thanks for the advice. As of right now, I only have an interview with NYU (which im not sure I should go to cuz thats more expensive than BU) and I have an alternate list interview at Case (but im thinkin my chances are slim there). Though my numbers are decent, I applied really late...being a Canadian and not too familiar with the rolling admissions process. So at this point, BU is really my only option... :( ....and NO my family is not loaded, it would mostly be loans. Not sure what to do....any other advice?

Dr.BadVibes said:
do you have any other interviews...as a canadian, I would advise you to try your best to get into another school...BU is a total for-profit school and you will have such a huge debt when graduating and not the best clinical education....

Canadians who graduate from BU will definitely have a hard professional life paying back loans in US dollars with high interest rates :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:

Don't listen to this guy. If you are coming from Canada, the difference in price between the cheapest school (say a state school) and the most expensive school (private school) won't be that large. I've heard that BU is a great school where they really look after you. I loved the school when I interviewed and I will most likely be your fellow schoolmate next school year. Congrats and enjoy. What part of Canada are you from btw, wonder if you'll brave the cold better than a southern cal. kid like me.

If you are a canadian and go to BU or to any other US private school then you will have a big debt in which you can only afford with an US paycheck. You will be locked into working in the US for a few years to pay the US debt. US debt with Canadian paycheck will be a scary scenario :scared:

I know of a Canadian from Toronto who graduated from BU a couple of years ago and is now working in Boston. He mentioned that he was locked into working in the US because of this.

TOdentist said:
Dr. BadVibes,

Thanks for the advice. As of right now, I only have an interview with NYU (which im not sure I should go to cuz thats more expensive than BU) and I have an alternate list interview at Case (but im thinkin my chances are slim there). Though my numbers are decent, I applied really late...being a Canadian and not too familiar with the rolling admissions process. So at this point, BU is really my only option... :( ....and NO my family is not loaded, it would mostly be loans. Not sure what to do....any other advice?

Ouch....NYU and BU are gonna kill your wallet five times over.....should have done your research in applying to US schools, but hey its too late to point a finger at ya...all I can say is to try you best to get into Case....

nothen2do says not to listen to me and then he says a stupid statment like "If you are coming from Canada, the difference in price between the cheapest school (say a state school) and the most expensive school (private school) won't be that large."

HAHAHHA...NICE! :thumbup:

blankguy said:
If you are a canadian and go to BU or to any other US private school then you will have a big debt in which you can only afford with an US paycheck. You will be locked into working in the US for a few years to pay the US debt. US debt with Canadian paycheck will be a scary scenario :scared:

Excellent and very true point...however all Im trying to say is as a Canadian, you should lessen your debt burden as much as you can for the exact reason you posted....it just makes sense, right?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help...nothen2do...Ill prob see ya in the fall. Ok guys, not that theres anything wrong with the states....but I HAVE to come to Canada as soon as I'm done, I can't go on that long without my family and friends close by...home is home...even if it takes a few extra years to pay off the loans...man u guys are really worrying me. :scared:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Excellent and very true point...however all Im trying to say is as a Canadian, you should lessen your debt burden as much as you can for the exact reason you posted....it just makes sense, right?

True but if you are referring to selecting schools based on this it's a little bit late in the game for the OP, unless he wants to wait and reapply for the next cycle.

I'm a "SHE"....maybe the name needs to be changed...Anyway nothen2do I'm from Toronto.

TOdentist said:
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the help...nothen2do...Ill prob see ya in the fall. Ok guys, not that theres anything wrong with the states....but I HAVE to come to Canada as soon as I'm done, I can't go on that long without my family and friends close by...home is home...even if it takes a few extra years to pay off the loans...man u guys are really worrying me. :scared:

Geez, if it was so urgent to go back to Canada, why didnt you research more into cheaper US schools and the realities of a professional dental career??? Im not saying you are going to be in the poor house....of course not. However, since you just stated that you have to come back to Canada and will own 300K-400K in US dollars (you also do realize you have to convert this back to Canadian dollars, so your debt in Canadian dollars is gonna be more than half a million dollars), its gonna take you WAYYY more than a "few extra years" to pay it back....geez, whats with people thinking that Dentists make fortunes right away, especially in Toronto where its heavily saturated???

Especially since you have just said that you will have to come back to Canada...try your best to get into Case...they have a way better clinic as well and your educatin will be way cheaper. Email the director, suckup big time....whatever it takes ;)

If you absolutely have to goto BU, then just be smart financially and dont waste money.....try your best to get a cheap aparment and share it with someone....and make it close to the school to avoid having to pay for transport....all these things add up and you might be in the position where saving every dollar counts

I just have a question. I am not concerned about the money aspect of school, but I am planning on going to BU. I have some other choices, but I thought I would go to BU for a change of scenery and I heard it was a good school. But, someone said its not the best clinical education. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
blankguy said:

I know of a Canadian from Toronto who graduated from BU a couple of years ago and is now working in Boston. He mentioned that he was locked into working in the US because of this.

Is working in boston so bad these days ?

alyhoop7 said:
I just have a question. I am not concerned about the money aspect of school, but I am planning on going to BU. I have some other choices, but I thought I would go to BU for a change of scenery and I heard it was a good school. But, someone said its not the best clinical education. Is this true?

Your best bet would to talk to senior BU students....see what they have done and then compare it with senior students at other schools.

Personally, I have only talked with one BU graduate and she told me her clinical experience was horrible, and definitely not worth the money she paid for the school....although she said she had fun at BU.....

Also, there have been many rumours on these forums of lack of patients at BU because of the State of Mass cutting Medicaid funding which make up a huge portion of BU's patient pool, and also rumours of BU students having to fight for chair time.....however these are just SDN posts, so I would try my best to confirm these as best you can...

Dr.BadVibes said:
Your best bet would to talk to senior BU students....see what they have done and then compare it with senior students at other schools.

Personally, I have only talked with one BU graduate and she told me her clinical experience was horrible, and definitely not worth the money she paid for the school....although she said she had fun at BU.....

Also, there have been many rumours on these forums of lack of patients at BU because of the State of Mass cutting Medicaid funding which make up a huge portion of BU's patient pool, and also rumours of BU students having to fight for chair time.....however these are just SDN posts, so I would try my best to confirm these as best you can...

Man you seem to have a lot to say about BU, even though you don't attend the school.

HD :thumbup:

zidanereal2003 said:
Is working in boston so bad these days ?

If you are into IT, it still sucks. But then again that is not relevant to this forum
:p

Now if this artic cold can go away here in Boston. Brrrrrr!!!

TOdentist said:
I'm a "SHE"....maybe the name needs to be changed...Anyway nothen2do I'm from Toronto.

Sorry about that
:oops:

Anyobody else have any encouraging advice? I will be taking loans to finance the majority of my education. Now if you guys were in my shoes would you wait another year (and apply early!!!) or would you go to BU? Remember I am a Canadian student. So confused.... :(

I attended BU for my undergrad, and I have to agree that BU is a for-profit institution. I don't know about the graduate tuition while I was there, but each year, whithout fail, my tuition would be hiked up significantly. My siblings were going to Yale and Rice at the same time I was at BU, and I was paying a lot more for tuition than they were.

Although the atmosphere in Boston is really diverse and intellectual, the cost of living is way way high. I was fortunate that my dad helped me out by taking out parent loans while I took out student loans, and I lived in dorms that were paid for with my financial aid. If you are going to go to BU, start looking for apartments now, and, of course, see if you can find roommate(s). You may also look into living in a nearby suburb. Two of my friends lived in Somerville, and they were quite happy.

The good thing is that you don't *need* a car, but if you'll be taking your car with you then usually you'll have to pay parking garage fees for the year, unless you find a good spot on the street, in which case you won't want to move your car from your spot.

Anyway, just my input. I wish you the best! :)

hockeydentist said:
Man you seem to have a lot to say about BU, even though you don't attend the school.

HD :thumbup:

Hey jackass, I told her to go talk to BU students for herself....

TOdentist said:
Anyobody else have any encouraging advice? I will be taking loans to finance the majority of my education. Now if you guys were in my shoes would you wait another year (and apply early!!!) or would you go to BU? Remember I am a Canadian student. So confused.... :(

I wouldnt wait another year....who knows how competitive it will be next year and nothing is a guarantee....plus, thats a year of earnings you could be losing.....not worth the risk.....I would stick with your BU acceptance for now, but would do what I told you and try to get into Case if you can.....

Thanks Dr.Badvibes, you've been a great help in your own weird way. I must admit you guys are pretty funny. One more q.....any loan suggestions for Cnds? I feel like Im walkin on broken glass by askin you questions sometimes.

Bad vibes is such hoser

HD

I have an interview in Boston in February, how quickly does a decision get made about you whether or not you're accepted or denied? How many seats are available in Boston after January, Is the class almost full by then or just at around half like most schools?

HD

hockeydentist said:
I have an interview in Boston in February, how quickly does a decision get made about you whether or not you're accepted or denied? How many seats are available in Boston after January, Is the class almost full by then or just at around half like most schools?

HD

My decision was made within a week. Well I found out over the phone after a week. A lot of seats are still open, probably a little less than half....but I'm sure you have a good shot in Feb! Good luck :luck:

TOdent

hockeydentist said:

I interviewed in mid december and received an acceptance letter about a week later. They didn't say how many seats were full though, sorry.

hockeydentist said:

HD

my interview was initially in march..i called asked if an earlier date was avail, and they told me feb. then i called again and they told me jan. so if u want to, u can call them and ask if an earlier date is avail..wud definitely increase ur chances. good luck! :thumbup:

Okay so Ive thought long and hard about attending BU based on the fact that I'm going to take enormous loans and the fact that I'd like to come back to Canada to pratice. I have decided that even if I do not get accepted to any other school for this fall, I'm going to attend BU! The way I see it is that my dream of becoming a dentist is coming true and even it takes me 10-15 years to pay off my loans (and live a little scarcely), its worth it! Thanks for all of the comments and advice, but at the moment I'm just super happy that I know regardless of what happens now, I'm going to be a dentist! :p

guess i'll be joining u at BU! just got a letter today..99% sure....soo happy! :D

TOdentist said:
Okay so Ive thought long and hard about attending BU based on the fact that I'm going to take enormous loans and the fact that I'd like to come back to Canada to pratice. I have decided that even if I do not get accepted to any other school for this fall, I'm going to attend BU! The way I see it is that my dream of becoming a dentist is coming true and even it takes me 10-15 years to pay off my loans (and live a little scarcely), its worth it! Thanks for all of the comments and advice, but at the moment I'm just super happy that I know regardless of what happens now, I'm going to be a dentist! :p

Just marry a rich guy and you are set! :p

Also, I can tell you are very adamant on coming back to Canada...keep in mind that at the moment this is possible, but in 4 years, anything can change. The Candian Dental Society may realize what the influx of American trained dentists are doing in saturating markets, thus pissing off Canadian trained dentists. I havent heard of anything like this happening, but just prepare for the worst and keep in mind that by the time you graduate, you might not have the possibility of going back to Canada like doctors and will be forced to practice in the US....just keep it in mind!

Also, I cant stop stressing this, try your best to get into Case. Its way cheaper and a much better dental school. When comparing Case vs. BU, the only difference I can honestly see is Cleveland Vs. Boston where Boston wins....but Cleveland being a major urban US city, there is gonna be a lot to do....Case by far is the winner in all categories!! Have you emailed the dean? Dont just sit back and wait to be called off the waitlist...show interest in the school!!!

Hey Dr. Badvibes,

I can't tell you HOW MUCH i'd like to get into Case, it always was and still is my number one choice, but it just seems like my chances are so limited. From what I hear, roughly 100 ppl are interviewed for the alternate list, and last year only 7 of them were admitted to the class. But you are SO right, I have to take an active role in showing them how bad I want to go there. I will definitely email the dean. Thanks so much for all of your advice.....after this, I'm going to call the CDA as well to see if there are any plans to limit Canadian practice to Canadian trained dentists :( .

Ind201....Congrats, and most likely I'll see you there!

TOdentist said:
after this, I'm going to call the CDA as well to see if there are any plans to limit Canadian practice to Canadian trained dentists :( .

Great...please post what they tell you cause I'd be interested in knowing! :thumbup:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Great...please post what they tell you cause I'd be interested in knowing! :thumbup:

Badvibes, I called the CDA today and they said that the idea of restricting US trained dentists from practicing in Canada is not even an issue at this point. Rather, she said that they're thinking of building accreditation relations with other countries.....therefore more competition for us... :scared: .

Also, I went and talked to some dentists around my area today and they told me even if I have a $400K Cdn debt, to go ahead with it and that I shouldn't have trouble payin off the loans. Even though my budget may be tight the first couple of years.

Marry rich eh.....it's always plan B! LOL :thumbup:

For those of you who decided to go to BU, I was wondering who was going to do that excel program in july. Do ya'll know if its something that a lot of people do?

alyhoop7 said:
For those of you who decided to go to BU, I was wondering who was going to do that excel program in july. Do ya'll know if its something that a lot of people do?

Good question, in the acceptance letter they make it seem like its something we HAVE to do. If there's an option, I'm not going to do it. It seems like a BS thing...it may be good for those who have been out of school for a while and need to refresh their study skills.

alyhoop7 said:

It sounds interesting, especially if you are not a bio major. Its definitly an option, not mandatory, but I would think it gives you extra time to get settled and adjusted. I would do it except im travelling over summer.

alyhoop7 said:

I'm going to do the EXCEL program this summer.. I think its a great idea and good intro into the school.. It reminds me of Summer B semester for my undergrad and was so happy I did it.. I took two BS classes which allowed me to ease into the next semester and enjoy the city.. See YOU THERE!!!!!

Hey BU crew,

So far there are about 5 of us that are planning on attending BU this fall:

Lancegor2, nothen2do, TOdentist (me), DB#1, Ind201......anyone else? Hey if other schools have fall matriculation threads....why can't we? :rolleyes:

Good to know I'm not alone here....lookin forward to meeting u all!

Hey Guys-

I will be going to BU as well. I already paid both installments for the deposit. And I am planning on doing the excel in july. Is anyone else going there? Who is gonna try the excel too? I can't wait! Anyone from Texas by the way?

HOOORAAAAHHHHH

Hey yall, I will be attending BU this fall. I am still deciding about the Excel program. See ya this fall!!!

Ok so we're up in numbers,

About excel, I think everyone's about 50/50 right now. I don't think I'm going to do it, I think just relaxing and spending more time with fam and friends will help me out more. However, I think it'll be beneficial for those of you who do decide to do it.

6 months and counting..... :)

TOdentist said:
Ok so we're up in numbers,

About excel, I think everyone's about 50/50 right now. I don't think I'm going to do it, I think just relaxing and spending more time with fam and friends will help me out more. However, I think it'll be beneficial for those of you who do decide to do it.

6 months and counting..... :)

Does it cost anything to do the EXCEL program, once you're accepted.

HD

hockeydentist said:
Does it cost anything to do the EXCEL program, once you're accepted.

HD

Yes it does, I think it was $1000 for the 3 weeks last year, plus living expenses. It may be a little bit more this year, not sure.

What is everyone doing for roommates? I don't feel like spending a crap load for a single apartment, and my friends in BU already have roommates.. I guess I am going to do roommate matching but the BU website for it is down. I would most like to room with classmates. South end, Kenmore, and Fenway are probably going to be my top choices. How are the rest of you figuring out the roommate situation???????

Big chance i might attend BU, will submit deposit, but still waiting from few schools. How much will housing be. Anyone have a guess. Maybe something like 20 min drive from school could be cheaper?

Hey guys,

I've been checkin out housing myself lately, damn South End is pretty expensive, not only is it expensive, I hate the fact that everything is so OLD there. I'm lookin a bit further from the city as well, but from what I hear the T isnt that great especially to BUMC. So I'm gonna try to stick closer to the South End. I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes up. I really didn't want to stay with anyone, but looking at the living expenses....I don't really think i have a choice. We'll keep lookin, if anyone comes across anything, let's pass the info on to each other! :D

TOdentist said:
Hey guys,

I've been checkin out housing myself lately, damn South End is pretty expensive, not only is it expensive, I hate the fact that everything is so OLD there. I'm lookin a bit further from the city as well, but from what I hear the T isnt that great especially to BUMC. So I'm gonna try to stick closer to the South End. I guess I'll have to wait and see what comes up. I really didn't want to stay with anyone, but looking at the living expenses....I don't really think i have a choice. We'll keep lookin, if anyone comes across anything, let's pass the info on to each other! :D

I think you can add my name to list of people going to BU next year. Still have to decide whether or not its worth taking a year off and retaking the DAT and doing volunteer work, etc just to try to get into my home state school Ohio St. Where is everyone from and has anybody made any living plans for next year?

I'm from Toronto. No housing plans yet. From what the realtors have told me, it's best to go down to Boston about a month or max two before hand to find a place. Apartments don't last too long. Hoping to find a roommate, if not....it'll be just me :oops: