Anyone going to Boston University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Capitan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wondered if anyone out there has decided that he/she is going to Boston University for sure. Of the schools I've been accepted to (BU and my state school) Boston U. is certainly my favorite. I wondered what other people thought about its value for the price, the location, and the education. I'm pretty sure I'll be there this Fall. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I would like to go there!

Just curious, when did you interview and when did you get in? I'm still waiting to hear something 4 months post-interview. I got the acceptablility letter quite fast.

Reasons why I want to go there:
-Good location and diverse patient population
-Top 50 ranking (meaning good board scores and opportunities, don't get all PC on me now)
-Semi-traditional curriculum w/ patient contact (I think? don't remember)
-The building is pretty :)

Cons:
-Rumored to be cut throat and have unhappy students
-Expensive tuition
-No T stop nearby, although there is a bus
-Expensive to live in the city

I interviewed at the end of January and was accepted mid March. I was really surprised to hear back from them so quickly because I got the "acceptability" letter in the middle of February.

I did find some of the students to be a bit unhappy...they seemed to dwell on the cost of the education. But the people I stayed with were awesome.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. Also, what did you mean by "don't get all PC on me now?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm leaning towards going there (versus Tufts) only because I thought they have better financial aid.

You're right Doctora Foxy, they have a semi-traditional curriculum with IP (patient contact) starting immediately at the first year. I have the impression that BU favors the traditional curriculum It's 8 people per cadaver though. It is also somewhat true that there is some semblance of competition versus cooperation. Despite the rumors, many students are happy, as I've noticed everytime I go to their medical school building.

Yeah, having the T stop further away is a pain, but you can cut through Harrison area, pass the ER and to the medical school to save time.

The only heartbreaker is the tuition. Normally federal loans will be able to cover everything (as long as you don't spend more than 4 years of undergrad). Yet, they have comprehensive financial aid and resources... it is just a matter of how needy (and/or worthy) you are.

PC means politically correct (am I right)?

I meant PC as in SDN Politically Correct. We all know that we care about the rankings, but SDNers seem to attack people for saying so. It was just a lil' disclaimer :D

I think it's cool that BU is ranked. I was also surprised that it is ranked higher than Tufts this year. I had also thought Tufts had the better reputation. What do you guys think about it?

I've heard people mention that BU is a back-up school for most people. However, I think that this is unfair to the school. Sure, it's expensive. So are most of the schools. Like Foxy said, BU serves a huge patient area which allows for excellent training on a diverse patient population. Everyone I met there was VERY nice!

I still contend that Tufts Medical School has a very slight advantage when it comes to "collaborating" with MGH. That's why some people think it's the better. But this might only be so because BUMC includes a well-endowed research facility and have better funding. In that respect, a significant portion of BU grads may opt to train at BUMC. Overall though, the US News seem to favor BU over Tufts.

Perhaps another advantage BU has over Tufts is its history. GBH (the 'science" channel in Boston) often airs medical shows that include BUMC (of course, HMS grabs the lion's share).