Anyone going to Convocation in Alabama?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melancholy

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious who I'll get to see there...

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there...I'm leaving Wednesday. I'm pretty excited since I've heard other people's experiences.

box29 said:
I'll be there...I'm leaving Wednesday. I'm pretty excited since I've heard other people's experiences.
Yeah it's pretty fun every year... not only because you get to see a huge variety of lectures, workshops, techniques, treatment styles, etc., but also because you meet so many students from other schools and can all gripe about your respective schools together while having a drink! It really is a lot of fun. Those who are interested also check out the Evening with the Stars every night where you can hob-nob with whatever well-known osteopath is hanging out around the tables. Pretty good stuff... just not sure what there is to do in Alabama. Next year should be back in Colorado Springs.. don't want to miss that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gone the past 3 years and it's great. You can learn so many new techniques and styles of treating. The workshops are good, make sure you take notes so that you dont' forget the techniques. The social events are good, just don't know what to do in Alabama. It's a fun time. Hopefully the workshops and lecturse make up for the location. Colorado Springs is beautiful, hopefully I can make it there next year.

OMMFellow06 said:
I've gone the past 3 years and it's great. You can learn so many new techniques and styles of treating. The workshops are good, make sure you take notes so that you dont' forget the techniques. The social events are good, just don't know what to do in Alabama. It's a fun time. Hopefully the workshops and lecturse make up for the location. Colorado Springs is beautiful, hopefully I can make it there next year.

While you're visiting Birmingham, take a drive south of town. Meet the people, go to some of the fine ethnic restaurants, upscale shopping districts, night spots. Visit the museums. I think you could change your view of the "location" after your visit.

While you're there, visit (you'll practically have to in order to go south of town or "over the mountain" as we say) one of the premier medical centers for clinical training and research in the country. Unfortunately, not much DO presence there yet, but this is slowly changing.

Carpe

carpe diem said:
While you're visiting Birmingham, take a drive south of town. Meet the people, go to some of the fine ethnic restaurants, upscale shopping districts, night spots. Visit the museums. I think you could change your view of the "location" after your visit.

While you're there, visit (you'll practically have to in order to go south of town or "over the mountain" as we say) one of the premier medical centers for clinical training and research in the country. Unfortunately, not much DO presence there yet, but this is slowly changing.

Carpe

Thanks for the heads-up Carpe. We're definitely looking forward to trying to get the most out of our Birmingham experience. One of my buddies is curious if he should bring his nicer camera to snap pictures with. Anything worth touring over there? Any must-try restaurants?

OMMFellow06 said:
Congrats on TIRR! I don't recall if I saw you post your results in the PM&R sub-forums or not, but if not, definitely join us over there and let everyone know where you'll be headed. I'm originally from Houston although I've been out in SoCal for awhile, and you'll love the city for sure.

Guess we're both graduating together finally in less than two months. I too have hopes that they'll be going back to the Broadmoor next year, but I have a wonder what my internship schedule will be like. (Also curious about being able to make it to Hawaii for AAPMR!)

I should be arriving on Wedsday along with about 15 other students from AZCOM. The convocation should be alot of fun and I'm really exciting. However I'm not so excited about returning for the Neuro exam on Monday!

About the location, I'm actually looking forward to Birmingham since I've only driven through Alabama once. I might have to try some good southern cooking! Next year should be cool in CO Springs. Although I don't like Colorado Springs very much, it's not far from Boulder where I went to undergrad. I look forward to meeting all of you at convo!

-Matt

Melancholy, I sent you a PM.

Carpe

carpe diem said:
Melancholy, I sent you a PM.

Carpe
Thanks Carpe.. you're the bomb!

Inquiringmind24- Convo in Colorado Springs was awesome last time. We really didn't spend much time in the town except for some sightseeing as there was much to do on the grounds of the Broadmoor itself.

Just to let everyone know, I'll be volunteering at the AZCOM booth on Friday from 1 to 2 pm. I encourage everyone to stop by! If you see a Matt, that's me.

So who's who? I've been wondering as I pass multitudes of students.

Anyone been hanging out at Dave's or Bell Bottom's down in Five Points?