Anyone going to optometry school this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffy1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been accepted to optometry school this year? I only know of one person who has gotten in (UH), and one of my friends is anxiously awaiting word from two schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to SUNY College of Optometry (about a week after they received the OAT scores in December) and Pacific University (the same day I interviewed in early January).

I was accepted at UHCO and SCCO. (I applied to three schools) I decided on UHCO since my family and friends are there. And SCCO is SO damn expensive. (21k a year just in TUITION!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I declined them both and decided to apply to medical school. It would have been a difficult decision. I love NYC and the SUNY clinic is fantastic, but I live in the northwest and Pacific has a great location near Portland (another great city). I aslo applied to Berkeley (yet another awesome location) but declined the interview. To see my reasons for deciding upon medicine over optometry see http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=16&t=000006

Enjoy Houston!

Thanks mpp! Your post about the profession was wondeful! Thanks for informating everyone on what OD's actually do. That's great! I also applied to berkeley and interviewed, but alas I was not one of the chosen few (they only took 60 and interviewed 120) :( So, I will be leaving the Bay Area for Houston.. but it's moving back home for me so it's not as bad as relocating across the country just for school (which I know some opt. and med students are about to do)
GOOD LUCK WITH MED SCHOOL APPS! let me know how it goes. I see ya still around futureoptometrist.com from time to time. Stick around. We enjoy friendly company there :p