anyone going to USC?? Anyone??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyhey20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone is considering going to USC? I'm a little hesitant because of the extremely high tuition! Is anyone familiar with the program? Good things? Bad things?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

anything specific you want to know? i do know some people in both the global medicine as well as mph program---although most people i know also went to usc for their undergrad and did a progressive of sorts (just didn't have to take the GRE) but everything else is the same. What are your goals by doing the program? If you give me more specifics i'll try to help :)

I'll be pursuing a mph with a concentration in health education/community health. Ultimately I want to get a phd and become a director of a non-profit organization with regards to alcohol and tobacco prevention. I would like to find out if the mph curriculum prepares students for jobs and the job opportunities USC can help u find. I really want to know if it's worth the high tuition cost. I appreciate ur help/input! Thank u!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I plan on pursuing an MPH with health communication as my concentration. Another member of this forum forwarded me some emails from USC alumni and they were very helpful. It was very hard to find info on USC's MPH program, but everything I heard so far is positive. Private message me your email address if you want me to forward them. These emails helped me make my decision hehe. The funding at USC isn't very good, I only got stafford loans and I had to request work study. Is this the same deal u got? I was kinda disappointed but I have been reading about the loan forgiveness program and it looks very promising. I am also in the process of finding housing, I live in Connecticut now and would like to move to LA in July. If anyone has any housing tips, please let me know! Thanks :)

hello! i am hesitant about going to usc because of the high tuition too ><.. all i got so far is loans, and i did apply to work study too, but i don't know what's going on with it.. the financial aid website didn't mention about my work study at all .. (sometimes i wonder if i really applied for it) .. the housing for usc is kinda expensive since it's in downtown LA.. but there isn't much choice to choose from, most parts of downtown LA is very ghetto... =/

Hi, I plan on pursuing an MPH with health communication as my concentration. Another member of this forum forwarded me some emails from USC alumni and they were very helpful. It was very hard to find info on USC's MPH program, but everything I heard so far is positive. Private message me your email address if you want me to forward them. These emails helped me make my decision hehe. The funding at USC isn't very good, I only got stafford loans and I had to request work study. Is this the same deal u got? I was kinda disappointed but I have been reading about the loan forgiveness program and it looks very promising. I am also in the process of finding housing, I live in Connecticut now and would like to move to LA in July. If anyone has any housing tips, please let me know! Thanks :)
Hi,
Here is a link on mph housing @ USC . There are also housing options provided by the school. I recommend searching the usc medical school website as it has a lot more information.
http://mph.usc.edu/housing/

HTH

sorry it took me so long to respond! Anyhoo, from the friends I have asked in the program they think its excellent! As I mentioned before they went to USC as undergrads as well so they were used to the way the courses are taught and living in the area----don't quote me on this but the MPH program at USC is not on the main campus or medical campus but in Alhambra (which is about 30 min from the main campus so u won't be exactly living in downtown. From what i have been told there are excellent research opportunities, the faculty is well connected and obviously u get to be a part of the trojan family! There are no scholarships or grants for the MPH program, everything is loan based so if u aren't planning on going to professional school (ie med, dental, pharm, etc) then its probably a great investment. The program also i think can be done under 2 years if u plan everything correctly. My friends are in the child and maternal health track and they are glad they pursued it. Lemme know if u all have any other questions!

Pursuing a doctorate at USC puts u at an advantage as well because u know people already.

hello! i am hesitant about going to usc because of the high tuition too ><.. all i got so far is loans, and i did apply to work study too, but i don't know what's going on with it.. the financial aid website didn't mention about my work study at all .. (sometimes i wonder if i really applied for it) .. the housing for usc is kinda expensive since it's in downtown LA.. but there isn't much choice to choose from, most parts of downtown LA is very ghetto... =/

Hi, about the work study, I had applied for it too and they did not give it to me, so I emailed [email protected] and asked for work study and soon after that, I received an email saying there was an update in my financial aid packet. I logged in My FinAid and they had added $1500 per semester in work study. So i would recommend you email them and just say you need it.

Thanks for the housing tips! I also posted an ad on the MPH housing bulletin. I am very excited to move to LA, i can't wait. Everyone has said great things about the MPH program :)

how does the USC MPH program compare to other schools? I've already submitted my decision to Emory but am having second thoughts...Going to USC would be a lot easier for me.

Any idea how research opportunities are?

how does the USC MPH program compare to other schools? I've already submitted my decision to Emory but am having second thoughts...Going to USC would be a lot easier for me.

Any idea how research opportunities are?

I have a couple of emails that might be of some help, send me your email via private message if you would like me to send them your way. Good luck!

btw...if anyone has any questions about the area (USC Main Campus, Health Sciences Campus, Alhambra) just PM me or post a message here! i'm an undergrad at USC and living off-campus right now, and my parents live in Alhambra as well.

If the MPH program really is in Alhambra, then I do not recommend living in downtownLA. If you guys have a car, it's about a 20 min drive WITHOUT traffic. With traffic in the morning/evenings, it can take up at 1hr.
If you're thinking about living near the USC campus to take the tram over, please note that housing near USC is VERY expensive...and plus you'll still have to take a 30min tram ride to Alhambra.

Alhambra is not cheap but not as expensive as USC's University Park off-campus housing. It's a lower middle class residential area. There are houses and apartments up for rent, but not so much apartment complexes.

Also, Alhambra is like a Chinatown...it's mostly Asians (lol...) So you'll find a lot of Asian cuisine and boba places if you walk a bit further down (or take the bus). I feel comfortable walking around at night. This is not to say it's completely safe, but it's definitely a lot safer than the main campus area.

let me know if you have any questions! =]