anyone good at punctuation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just had a very quick question about a sentence. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Through the patient assistance program, I am responsible for battling a prominent issue in underserved communities ; access to medication.

Should that be a colon or semicolon

Grammar nazi here. Why didn't you post your sentence along with your OP? lol

Colon. A semicolon separates two sentences that are related but could be independent. A colon would be more appropriate.

Reactions: 3 users
Colon. A semicolon separates two sentences that are related but could be independent. A colon would be more appropriate.
This is correct, between those options. Could also be a hyphen, probably, but I'm less solid on hyphenation rules than I am on semicolons.

Colon, thought I personally think using colons like this (essentially standing in for i.e.) is kinda tacky. I'd use a comma.

Hyphens are typically used for what grammatically amounts to an aside.

I would suggest ", which is" or just use a colon because "access to medication" isn't a complete sentence.

As noted, a colon. That's awkward and wordy sentence structure though. Be direct.

Agreed.

"I am responsible for battling a prominent issue in underserved communities - inadequate access to medication - through the patient assistance program" solves the grammar debate.

Or just "I am working to improve access to medication in underserved communities as a member of the patient assistance program" is even more direct. Just some rough ideas.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Through the patient assistance program I am responsible for battling a prominent issue, access to medication, in underserved communities.

No need to say it's a prominent issue. I think that's obvious. Keep it simple.

I know there's a strong urge to be wordy and sound smart, but resist that.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks for all the input. Although it seems preferences differ a bit

went with this: Through the patient assistance program, I am responsible for helping underserved communities have easier access to medication.

Reactions: 1 users
Much better. Keep it simple.

went with this: Through the patient assistance program, I am responsible for helping underserved communities have easier access to medication.

Anyone know if the following is a pair of coordinate adjectives that needs a comma between them or not? Talking about "quality comprehensive care" and "affordable comprehensive care". Would you need to have commas between those if you are writing a sentence? thanks

reading a lot about coordinate adjectives and whatnot, but for some reason this is very confusing. Feel like the first one does not need a comma but the second one does. Not sure though

Access to medication: I battle this prominent issue in underserved communities through the patient assistance program.

Or, go for broke:

Cancer, death, humility, gluttony, sin, reality, the origin of life, the origin of everything: I battle these demons while sheltering and feeding homeless through the "save the universe" campaign.

Anyone know if the following is a pair of coordinate adjectives that needs a comma between them or not? Talking about "quality comprehensive care" and "affordable comprehensive care". Would you need to have commas between those if you are writing a sentence? thanks
Can you write out the whole sentence? I'm good with grammar and willing to help, but can't answer the question the way you phrased it.

Reactions: 1 user