Anyone have a list of all the religious Med Schools ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikePlayingDoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in seeing a list of Christian medical schools ( not Catholic ). I can only think of one Christian medical school - Loma Linda. Are there any others ?

Members don't see this ad.

MikePlayingDoc said:
I am really interested in seeing a list of Christian medical schools ( not Catholic ). I can only think of one Christian medical school - Loma Linda. Are there any others ?

Creighton= Jesuit
Loyola Chicago = Jesuit
Albert Einstein = Jewish
Loma Linda = Seventh Day Adventist

Catholics are Christians too, right?

SLU and Georgetown are also Jesuit (an order or Catholicism)

New York Medical College is Catholic-affiliated
Yes

But if Mike is looking for non-Catholic, Christian medical schools, I believe Loma Linda is the only one.

Members don't see this ad :)
anystream said:
Creighton= Jesuit
Loyola Chicago = Jesuit
Albert Einstein = Jewish
Loma Linda = Seventh Day Adventist

I went to a Catholic grade school and a Catholic high school and I still cant say if they are Christian or not. I dont even know if they know.

I think Stanford is Zoroastrian :laugh: :laugh:

MikePlayingDoc said:
I went to a Catholic grade school and a Catholic high school and I still cant say if they are Christian or not. I dont even know if they know.

Yes, Catholics are Christian.

I read somewhere that Mercer is Baptist, Rush is Presbyterian, and Wake is Baptist.

SLU is a jesuit university...

Spitting Camel said:
Cathlics are Christian in the sense that they belive in Christ, but they are not in the sense that they pray directly to the Virgin Mary (i.e. the Hail Mary) whereas Jesus and God are the only ones you are "supposed" to pray to, according to the Bible.

P.S. Loma Linda is an AWESOME school filled with AWESOME people. I almost went there!

Also, some people would venture to say that SDAs are not Christians, just like people say that about mormons and other groups that create themselves.

It's all subjective. You don't need to go to a Christian school to practice your faith or be surrounded by others who do the same - unless it is a necessity out of weakness and/or fear.

MikePlayingDoc said:

Uh, yes. Catholics are Christian. I was raised Catholic (would be happy to answer any questions) but am currently exploring the Episcopal church.

In fact... isn't it true that all other Christian sects have broken off of this FIRST Christian church over the years??

Wake Forest is a Baptist school.

However, don't make the same mistake that I made with Baylor. I thought it was a Baptist school, too. Given that my father is a Baptist minister, I figured that I would slip some information into my secondary that noted my connection to Baylor's religious leanings. Little did I know that Baylor COM split away from Baylor University during the 1960's. There is no connection between the schools whatsoever. In fact, Baylor COM is a secular school.

During my campus visit the interviewer said, "I see that you said that you want to come to Baylor because of our religious affiliation. What were you thinking? We aren't affiliated with anyone. We broke away from Baylor University nearly 40 years ago."

Texas A&M isn't southern Baptist...its a public university. Most of its faculty and students may be southern baptist, but it isnt affiliated with a certain religion

Members don't see this ad :)
kyu516 said:
not completely sure, but i think duke is methodist.

I thought it was presbyterian

tigress said:
I think Stanford is Zoroastrian :laugh: :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That reminds me of an old MCAT practice passage on Zoraster and other ancient iranian beliefs. I think it was one of the AAMC diags now that I think about it. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

I applied to LLU and Loyola. I really liked both of these schools, but then again i'm catholic. LLU puts a bit more emphasis on the Christian teachings than Loyola. Consider LLU only if you're a Christian buff.

FutureDrCynthia said:
I read somewhere that Mercer is Baptist, Rush is Presbyterian, and Wake is Baptist.
right, why did anyone say Loma Linda is the only one. How can anyone forget Wake?

deuist said:
Wake Forest is a Baptist school.

However, don't make the same mistake that I made with Baylor. I thought it was a Baptist school, too. Given that my father is a Baptist minister, I figured that I would slip some information into my secondary that noted my connection to Baylor's religious leanings. Little did I know that Baylor COM split away from Baylor University during the 1960's. There is no connection between the schools whatsoever. In fact, Baylor COM is a secular school.

During my campus visit the interviewer said, "I see that you said that you want to come to Baylor because of our religious affiliation. What were you thinking? We aren't affiliated with anyone. We broke away from Baylor University nearly 40 years ago."

hahaha....yeah, its funny when i tell people that i graduated from baylor. Living in Houston, the first thing that comes to people's mind is that i'm a doctor....then i tell them it was the undergrad institution. Then, i proceed to tell them the whole schpeel.

Yeah, Baylor COM and Baylor were affiliated for a while, then some problem happened and they moved the school the houston and then totally split from the undergrad. New board of directors, president, administrators, etc. The only relation it has to baylor is the name. its funny hearing these kinds of stories though

Some of the information posted in this thread is not accurate. Many of the schools mentioned above were founded as religious institutions, but no longer carry any religious affiliation. Some affiliated hospitals of these institutions still have names including words like Presbyterian, Methodist, etc., but many of these are now secular.

An example that wasn't stated above: Medical College of Wisconsin was once owned by Marquette University, a Catholic, Jesuit institution. That doesn't make it a Catholic medical school now. This is also true for many of the Ivy Leagues; many were founded as religious establishments, but no longer have any religious affiliation.

Most of this information can be found in the MSAR. The MSAR identifies each school as public or private. If it's public, there won't be a religious affiliation. If it's private, the descriptions provided in the MSAR should tell you whether a school is religiously affiliated or not.

Lastly, if you want to argue hermeneutics, go take it to the Everyone forum. Regardless of your intents, many of you are going to turn this into a religious piss war with some of your statements.

I think we need to put a close on this thread. Everyone has different religious beliefs.

Psycho,

I know you didn't mean to be offending, but there are people like myself who is not christian and who will highly disagree that christianity is the only way to god. I am hindu, as are many on this board. There are also people that are muslim, jewish, etc. So please don't make statements like christ is the only way to god. Maybe by one person's beliefs, but others have different beliefs. Just try to be a little bit more considerate of other people's beliefs. That's just a simple request I ask of you.

Back to the Original topic,

I think the person got the gist of it as far as their original question but if this is going to be a debate about what constitutes god and what doesn't, and who is right about Catholicism vs. other christian demoninations vs. nondenominational, etc., then perhaps this thread should be closed.

Phil Anthropist said:
Some of the information posted in this thread is not accurate. Many of the schools mentioned above were founded as religious institutions, but no longer carry any religious affiliation. Some affiliated hospitals of these institutions still have names including words like Presbyterian, Methodist, etc., but many of these are now secular.

An example that wasn't stated above: Medical College of Wisconsin was once owned by Marquette University, a Catholic, Jesuit institution. That doesn't make it a Catholic medical school now. This is also true for many of the Ivy Leagues; many were founded as religious establishments, but no longer have any religious affiliation.

Most of this information can be found in the MSAR. The MSAR identifies each school as public or private. If it's public, there won't be a religious affiliation. If it's private, the descriptions provided in the MSAR should tell you whether a school is religiously affiliated or not.

Lastly, if you want to argue hermeneutics, go take it to the Everyone forum. Regardless of your intents, many of you are going to turn this into a religious piss war with some of your statements.

Wow you must have hit submit at the same time. Because this is what I was trying to say in my post right below yours. I agree with your sentiments full heartedly.

Oh and to the OP:

The only schools that I know for sure have some current religous affiliations are NYMC which is Catholic, Loma Linda = 7th day adventist(sp??), and Loyola which is also christian. And maybe but don't quote me......Georgetown, I recall reading was Catholic but that doesn't mean they take a preference to Catholic people.

Ok, so far I think we have the following. Did I leave anything out?

Baptist:
Mercer
Wake Forest

Catholic:
New York Medical College
Creighton (Jesuit)
Loyola Chicago (Jesuit)
SLU (Jesuit)
Georgetown (Jesuit)

Jewish:
Albert Einstein

Methodist:
Duke (?)

Presbyterian:
Rush

Seventh Day Adventist:
Loma Linda

markt said:

Baptist:
Mercer
Wake Forest
TX A&M

Catholic:
New York Medical College

Jesuit:
Creighton
Loyola Chicago
SLU
Georgetown

Jewish:
Albert Einstein

Methodist:
Duke

Presbyterian:
Rush

Seventh Day Adventist:
Loma Linda

==

BTW, I believe Harvard started out as a Christian institution, for I found this quote:

"An early brochure, published in 1643, justified the College's existence: 'To advance Learning and perpetuate it to Posterity; dreading to leave an illiterate Ministry to the Churches.'"
(http://www.hno.harvard.edu/guide/intro/)

It does not appear that this is currently their chief focus currently however.

OK, first of all... I thought we established that the Texas A&M isn't Baptist... it was a joke.

Second -- Jesuit *IS* Catholic. Not some religion on it's own.

Third -- Seems a little weird to be classifying Duke as a religious school, doesn't it? Ok, so they have a chapel. So does every other school. Does it really tout itself as a Methodist institution??

And last -- almost all the older schools like Harvard started out as Christian. Dartmouth was created for Christians to educate the "pagan" Native Americans. It's motto is still "Vox Clamantis En Deserto" (a voice crying out in the wilderness) -- taken from the Bible. But that doesn't mean that Dartmouth is a religious school today.

markt said:

Baptist:
Mercer
Wake Forest
TX A&M

Catholic:
New York Medical College

Jesuit:
Creighton
Loyola Chicago
SLU
Georgetown

Jewish:
Albert Einstein

Methodist:
Duke

Presbyterian:
Rush

Seventh Day Adventist:
Loma Linda

==

BTW, I believe Harvard started out as a Christian institution, for I found this quote:

"An early brochure, published in 1643, justified the College's existence: 'To advance Learning and perpetuate it to Posterity; dreading to leave an illiterate Ministry to the Churches.'"
(http://www.hno.harvard.edu/guide/intro/)

It does not appear that this is currently their chief focus currently however.

just to clarify

Jesuit = Catholic
Catholic = Christian

The Jesuits are Roman Catholic religious order, founded in 1534 by a group of University of Paris graduate students led by Ignatius of Loyola.

The OP asked a reasonable question, so I'm not going to move this whole thread. However, I'll try to find a spot to split the thread and I'll move the recent part of the thread to Everyone. I'll link back to the original thread in case anyone wants to see the earlier posts of this thread. The new thread containing the religious discussion is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=210662

Hey, just so you guys know, as a student of Wake, the school is no longer associated with Southern Baptist convention--broke away in the 80's...in fact the Baptist church on campus allows gay marriage (a big Baptist no no). Anyway, at least as far as undergraduates go, there are more Catholics than Baptists, so I would definately not consider this a religious school.

MikePlayingDoc said:

Catholicism is under Christianity.

Pax te cum...
Catholic Premed

What about Tulane? I interviewed with the chaplain there, I think they are a jesuit institution as well.

Almost all private institutions have some sort of religious affiliation, but most do not really include religion as a part of student life. The only one I can think of is Loma Linda.

Isn't Mount Sinai religously affiliated....being named "mount sinai" and all?

...spoken of in Exodus (meaning they discharge patients at a rapid pace)