Anyone have a "real" dead-week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfoman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many out there have an actual dead-week before finals... because not having one sucks.

Dead-week at my school just means that no assignments/exams worth > 10% of the overall grade can be due the week before finals... unless its an evening class... or a lab class... or explicitly stated on the syllabus of any other class.

So my two weeks before finals look like...
(week 1) 2 exams on wednesday + new material/HWs/Quizzes
(week 2: "dead-week") New material/HWs/Quizzes + M:final exam in evening class, T:final exam in zoo lab + final skills test in mbio lab, Th: final exam in mbio lab + big lab report due
(finals week) M:zoo final, W:mbio final, Th: phys2 final

I haven't NOT had at least 2 exams every week since spring break...wtf...

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even have a fake one.

I've had an 8 A.M. on Saturday when the last day of classes was that Friday. Actually, I had that happen twice. I had to walk 30 minutes to campus both times because buses don't run that early on weekends 'round UNC. I was pretty happy about that. We usually got 1 reading day before finals started and 1 during the middle of the week. Wahoo.

By the way, I bombed the hell out of both of those exams. Fortunately, the rest of the class did, too. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 2 exams, worth 17.5% each, on the last day of class. The finals were 2 days after my last exams

Never had one in undergrad. Had one during M1 year for spring semester, and it was a lifesaver. I used it to the fullest.

No major/comprehensive exams the last week of classes.

I have one test next week, because we've not got a final in that class.

2 exams tomorrow.
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Wow, thats awful. At my school the norm is always to have a one-week "Reading Week"(Mon-Fri) the week before exam week where there are no classes at all, thus no new information, and usually nothing due although some classes might do their final earlier by student choice or have a paper due then. My school's also on quarter system though, so we have 3 finals weeks per year.

dead week, are you joking, my 21st birday was on monday and i had to stay home and study for my stupid biochemistry class. Alcohol metabolism wan't part of that test in case you might ask.

I wish I had a dead week. Our classes end and the next week is finals. Some of my classes had assignments due. Some had quizzes.

no I have my final gen chem1 exam today and then we have to do a group capstone project+pity+

We had "Dead Day" in college. Last day of class was a Wednesday, and finals started on Friday. Thursday we got to study the entire day, and there were to be no tests or papers on M-W, just review stuff basically. All lab sessions were done the week before finals started too.

When I studied abroad in England, we had a 3 week Christmas break, then like 1 week of revision, then 2 weeks of finals. I ended classes mid Dec and began the next semester at the beginning of February. There was a similar thing at the end of the 2nd semester (except the 3 week spring break had a few weeks of class before "Reading Week."

We get a reading day, but usually the week before finals, is when the professors cram in last minute material, tests, papers, and presentations. I actually hate this week more than finals week.

Wow, thats awful. At my school the norm is always to have a one-week "Reading Week"(Mon-Fri) the week before exam week where there are no classes at all, thus no new information, and usually nothing due although some classes might do their final earlier by student choice or have a paper due then. My school's also on quarter system though, so we have 3 finals weeks per year.

hah, my school was on the quarter system too. 3 sets of finals per year, each of them ran about 3 hours. did we get a 'reading week?' heeeeellllz no...problem sets and new information till the bitter end.

wow.. I wish. we go up until the last minute. some finals are given the end of regular scheduled last day of class, some the following monday and tuesday. if you don't have a final monday you don't attend class... but this certainly doesn't count as dead bc at least half your exams are over previously.

My final chem exam is on the last day of class before the final :(

We have like 2 days off before the official start of finals week.

Dead week is such a foreign concept to me. They don't give us dead weeks. They give us 2 days, and then we often have multiple finals on the same day and such. My last two finals are on monday. They are both 3hrs and about 80% of my mark in each course...I have been studying my face off for them for the past two weeks. The entire semester, classes and finals season all lasts from about Jan 6 to April 28th. About par for the course for every student here I'd say.

Here's what I had this week:

Tuesday: Computational BME project due
Wednesday: Orgo test on amines, aryl halides, phenols, carbohyrdates, proteins, lipids, and DNA
Thursday: Computational BME presentation

Next week:

Monday: Research for credit paper due, Orgo problem set due
Tuesday: IDEAS lab project due
Wednesday: Computational BME paper due
Thursday: Orgo final

Yay!

Wish I could take the week off work before the MCAT, but I can't. Guess that's about as close as I get to a "dead week."

We have a "reading period" which means the last day of class is Wednesday the 7th (all new material btw) and then we get Thursday and Friday off. Finals are self scheduled starting the following Monday through the next Monday I think. Self scheduled finals are the best thing in the world and save me every semester because I can choose the day and time (morning or afternoon time) and decide what finals to take first. And I can limit my finals to one per day. It's awesome. I think that having that freedom compensates for the lack of a dead week.:)