1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone have a similar experience

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Dr_JAAAA, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Dr_JAAAA

Dr_JAAAA Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have had one interview, one next week, and my first choice school is ignoring me. I am really afraid I will be accepted to one of the other schools, and have to make a decision before even hearing from my firt choice. Will my first choice school care or try to help if I call and tell them I am in a bind with having to make a decision?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why would you have to make a decision now? You can hold more than one acceptance, the only thing that you would lose is your acceptance deposit if you decide to go elsewhere.

4. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, which is $1000 non-refundable at some DO schools, with two weeks to make the decision. Wow. Compared to ~$50 refundable from many MD programs.

I have nothing against DO programs in general, as I am applying to several myself, but on the business side of things I find this a bit beyond reasonable. For many, it absolutely removes the option of "holding several acceptances."

I may get blasted for this, but IMO this is simply preying on the desperation of students who have turned to DO as a path to becoming a physician and will tolerate practically anything if it gets them to their goal. With the adcomms and schools placing such a high importance on ethics in the medical profession, I find this a bit disingenious. Maybe shady is a better word.

5. Canuck99

Canuck99 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Similar situation for myself. I have interviewed and been accepted to my second choice, WVSOM. I interviewed at my first choice, TCOM, a couple of weeks ago but will not know of an acceptance until Feb. 1st. This is a problem becuase my first deposit is due at WVSOM by mid December. I am not really sure what to do, or if there is even anything that I can do. Probably just pony up the money to ensure that I have a spot. Regardless, I would be more than happy at WVSOM, so I guess it works out either way.

I am not really sure how schools feel about people calling, could help or could hurt. Hope it works out for you.

6. Nate

Nate Missing
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You shouldn't get "blasted" for that :p and I agree with you, the deposits are unfair. UMDNJ has the same deposit for all its schools, which is 100$ so I lucked out but I feel your pain. Still, a few thousand to hold a seat rather than gamble on a chance at getting in somewhere else is pennies in the bucket.
    The main reason, I believe, is that AACOMAS is vastly less organized than the AMCAS and doesn’t have a cut-off date for holding only one acceptance and the other reason is many Allopathic applicants may hold DO seats as “back-ups” if it were "free" keeping good DO applicants out of those seats until very late in the season.
    Regardless, you can still hold more than one acceptance which can be a benefit if you are waiting on your first choice.