Anyone Have Any Inspiring Pre-Med Stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManimalJax

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any truly inspiring pre-med stories of students who got an acceptance to a medical school despite overwhelming odds. It could be your own story or it could be of someone you know. As long as it is inspiring, it qualifies as a reply to this post. I am talking Shawshank Redemption brand of inspiring.

Members don't see this ad.

My oldest cousins journey to medical school is quite inspiring. I will try to leave it somewhat vague to protect his identity if anyone recognizes this story.

Anyways he barely graduated high school. He did so bad that he did not get into any of the colleges he wanted to, only some random, small colleges that seem to admit anyone. He was your typical party student, drinking every weekend and smoking pot like all day everyday. Everyone thought he was naturally smart he just never tried, he loved to party and drink and had many friends and was real popular but did not care one bit about school. I believe he graduated high school with a 2.1 gpa.

He wasn't even sure if he wanted to go to college but decided on going to the community college to try it out. In late of August of the year he was about to enroll he was in a car accident, he got hit by a drunk driver. Broke many bones and did some serious internal damage. Obviously, he couldn't return to school that year as he spent almost 18 months recovering. He was stuck at home recovering from various surgeries (he did a lot of damage to his legs) and what not. He lost contact with many of his old friends who were living the college life, partying and drinking. Then, I guess he changed and realized he wanted to pursue medicine.

Returned to community college for a year then transferred to the state university. He graduated with a 3.87 gpa in Microbiology and attained a very good MCAT score (forget actual score). He went onto graduate from Tufts University School of Medicine and is now in the middle of a general surgery residency. If you had known his past this story would seem almost unbelievable.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that's what I meant when I asked for inspiring stories. Thanks, Mike.

Members don't see this ad :)
I needed a 87.9+ on my Calculus II FINAL to earn an A for the course and thus keep a 4-oh.. I studied for 3 days at 4 hours sleep a night. I got a 91.3.:thumbup:

Lame I know, but I felt like a million bucks and had added about 7 days to my life.

I needed a 87.9+ on my Calculus II FINAL to earn an A for the course and thus keep a 4-oh.. I studied for 3 days at 4 hours sleep a night. I got a 91.3.:thumbup:
It's not lame at all. I definitely feel your pride. I needed a 99 on my virology final to keep a 4.0... I got 100. It was my greatest clutch performance, ever.

Pft whatever. One time I needed like a 58 to keep an A. I got a 61. Owned!

One of my best friends had a 3.5 GPA (engineering) and a 29 on the MCAT (10, 12, 7). He applied to like 20 schools, he received 10 interviews, went on 7, and received 5 acceptances. Pretty good story if you ask me.

Pft whatever. One time I needed like a 58 to keep an A. I got a 61. Owned!

I needed a 12/20 on my physics 2 final to make an A in the class. Made a 13.

:thumbup:

[While we're in the market for talking about close scrapes with grades].

If we're talking great last-minute performances, I have one as well. It's not really what I'd call "inspiring" though.

For my Physics 2 final I needed a 23/25 (on a multiple choice physics test) to get an A in the class. The exam was at 8 am and I had studied the day before the test up until about midnight. I went to bed but knew that I hadn't done enough, and I couldn't fall asleep. So I stayed up all night (the only time I've ever stayed up all night to cram for a test) and studied my butt off. Went to the exam the next morning without any sort of caffeine or anything and got a 25/25. :thumbup:

I had a C in my Gen Chem class right before the final. 50 question multiple choice test: 2 points each. I needed a 99 for an A in the class.

The teacher said that if we (class of over 200 kids) had the balls and got all the questions WRONG, she'd give us a 100. Guess who got an A in the end ;)
And guess how many people ended up with a 2% and a 4% in the end lol.

I had a C in my Gen Chem class right before the final. 50 question multiple choice test: 2 points each. I needed a 99 for an A in the class.

The teacher said that if we had the balls and got all the questions WRONG, she'd give us a 100. Guess who got an A in the end ;)
Ahahahahaha! I just spit my powerade all over my monitor. Thanks for the laugh! :thumbup:

My oldest cousins journey to medical school is quite inspiring. I will try to leave it somewhat vague to protect his identity if anyone recognizes this story.

Anyways he barely graduated high school...

There's a problem I have with this kind of narrative, and allow me to illustrate it through a somewhat recent baseball tale: at the all-star game home run derby, the finalists were an unassuming pair of hitters considering the field of competition: Texas' Josh Hamilton and my personal favorite, Justin Morneau. Leading into the derby, people were absolutely in love with Hamilton, a reformed trainwreck of a human being (typical story: drugs, alcohol, found Jesus) who had started on a meteoric rise in his play. All throughout the derby, people were happily retelling the "amazing turnaround" of Hamilton's life with a wishful tenor that bordered on sprechgesang. But what happened? He tired himself out in the first rounds of competition which ultimately resulted in a loss to the consistent Morneau in the final round. Tortoise beats the hare. Again.

Of course this was not trumpeted as a magnificent feat, even though Morneau was far from the most likely contender to win the derby. The fact is, his story just isn't that interesting; he's been a consistent baseball player, never endangered his career or family with risky behaviors. He's just a damn nice guy and a fine player who puts his head down and does the best he can every day.

I want to hear the story of the unassuming premed who just worked hard. Not someone who beat personal daemons. Not someone who didn't need to sweat acceptance because they had a 4.0/45. These are exceptions, and if you're not part of that exception, it's just not germane. Let's hear a tortoise's victory story: an unremarkable story of persistence and perseverance.

As a hopeful tortoise myself, I'll be happy to write it for you if it happens to me.

It's not lame at all. I definitely feel your pride. I needed a 99 on my virology final to keep a 4.0... I got 100. It was my greatest clutch performance, ever.

omg you lied to me!!! so you did have awesome stats :eek: jk :p

I needed a 12/20 on my physics 2 final to make an A in the class. Made a 13.

:thumbup:

[While we're in the market for talking about close scrapes with grades].

Haha, felt great didn't it? Weeeeee

Well, if we are mentioning clutch performances...last night in beer pong I had one cup left and the person I was playing against had one cup left as well. He nailed my cup, so I had to make it into his in order to cancel his shot out or else I would lose. I nailed the shot, made it again right after, and won. :thumbup:

Oh yea, but in Physics 2 I had to get a 45% on the final to keep my A. I didn't study at all for it and got a 50%. :thumbup: Maybe that's why I had so much trouble with the physics on the MCAT. :(

haha this thread went from inspiring premed stories to beer pong and "clutch performances" on exams.. cool beans

There's a problem I have with this kind of narrative, and allow me to illustrate it through a somewhat recent baseball tale: at the all-star game home run derby, the finalists were an unassuming pair of hitters considering the field of competition: Texas' Josh Hamilton and my personal favorite, Justin Morneau. Leading into the derby, people were absolutely in love with Hamilton, a reformed trainwreck of a human being (typical story: drugs, alcohol, found Jesus) who had started on a meteoric rise in his play. All throughout the derby, people were happily retelling the "amazing turnaround" of Hamilton's life with a wishful tenor that bordered on sprechgesang. But what happened? He tired himself out in the first rounds of competition which ultimately resulted in a loss to the consistent Morneau in the final round. Tortoise beats the hare. Again.

Of course this was not trumpeted as a magnificent feat, even though Morneau was far from the most likely contender to win the derby. The fact is, his story just isn't that interesting; he's been a consistent baseball player, never endangered his career or family with risky behaviors. He's just a damn nice guy and a fine player who puts his head down and does the best he can every day.

I want to hear the story of the unassuming premed who just worked hard. Not someone who beat personal daemons. Not someone who didn't need to sweat acceptance because they had a 4.0/45. These are exceptions, and if you're not part of that exception, it's just not germane. Let's hear a tortoise's victory story: an unremarkable story of persistence and perseverance.

As a hopeful tortoise myself, I'll be happy to write it for you if it happens to me.

YEAH! I'm that guy.